Kp3105

Re-applying H1B visa

15 posts in this topic

ASKING FOR A FRIEND. 

My friend completed his Masters from a university in the states and got a job offer from company A. His H1B got approved in the lottery and company A applied for sponsorship for the same. 

while this was happening he got a better job offer from Company B and decided to take it. 

company A never withdrew sponsorship application and company B never applied for one. 

He was questioned for the same and deported back. 

how can he re apply or re-enter the states? 

Just now, Nitas_man said:

After being deported?

Technically (under the law) he overstayed and worked illegally.  He can’t “just come back”.  Sorry.

He didn’t overstay. His visa was sponsored by company A and he worked for company B. 

the first company has acknowledged their error about not withdrawing the sponsorship application and he wasn’t aware about this technicality. 

I know he can’t just come back, but what other options does he have? 

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
1 minute ago, Kp3105 said:

He didn’t overstay. His visa was sponsored by company A and he worked for company B. 

the first company has acknowledged their error about not withdrawing the sponsorship application and he wasn’t aware about this technicality. 

Get a job in his home country.  Rules are clear.  They got broken.  No “option”

for that.  What are you expecting to hear?

47 minutes ago, Kp3105 said:

ASKING FOR A FRIEND. 

My friend completed his Masters from a university in the states and got a job offer from company A. His H1B got approved in the lottery and company A applied for sponsorship for the same. 

while this was happening he got a better job offer from Company B and decided to take it. 

company A never withdrew sponsorship application and company B never applied for one. 

You serious? Knowingly going through with visa for work for company A and at all times knowing you won’t work for them but for company B is visa fraud. Scammed the company A and probably misrepresented himself at visa interview as well. 

Stay and work in your home country - there won’t be re-entry for you. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 hour ago, Kp3105 said:

"Technicality"?  Visas all have rules.  It's up to the visa holder to know and abide by those rules.

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The people to talk to are Company B and their Lawyers. I assume they will need to apply for a visa for him.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

2 hours ago, Kp3105 said:

Curious as to how he came to the attention of DHS?  It wouldn’t be through the IRS so...what did he do to bring himself onto their radar? Or did he leave the US and try re-enter on that H1B?

15 minutes ago, Boiler said:

The people to talk to are Company B and their Lawyers. I assume they will need to apply for a visa for him.

Very good point, as they were the company in the wrong.... though I would suspect there was a reason company B was so negligent about meeting the legal requirements in the first place that would make them reluctant to do this.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kuwait
Timeline
11 hours ago, Kp3105 said:

I agree with above comments. This scenario is akin to a person submitting an application to sponsor Spouse A, but divorcing Spouse A, and bringing Spouse B  to US using Spouse's A application. It just doesn't work.

There is no technicality that can be remedied, it's misrepresentation and the visa laws don't substitute sponsors/applicants like that. 

Maybe your friend transmitted the information incorrectly. If it's like you said, this is a big mess and he should have known when all of this was happening. It makes no sense to switch jobs when you just got an H1B which is based on a lottery. Not everyone is as lucky. Also, your friend should have followed up with company B and clearly company B was  a mess if they didn't do the paperwork correctly -- that's not a good/better job than company A. This is the type of stuff you ask about to HR before accepting an offer.

On 6/2/2021 at 3:58 AM, Kp3105 said:

ASKING FOR A FRIEND. 

that makes no sense. its like getting visa to canada and trying to enter US.  if he violated than it possibly has 10 year ban. 

Edited by igoyougoduke

duh

On 6/2/2021 at 6:58 AM, Kp3105 said:

ASKING FOR A FRIEND. 

I'm going to spare the hand-wringing and pearl-clutching here.

Your friend worked without authorization and was deported from the United States. This carries either a 5 year or 10 year bar. In other words, he will not be eligible to re-enter the US until either 5 years or 10 years after the date that he was removed. It will be 10 years if he was deported after admission, e.g., picked up during an ICE raid on Employer B. It will be 5 years if he was removed from a port of entry, e.g., CBP interrogated him, found that he had been working without authorization, and put him through the expedited removal process.

If there was any fraud or misrepresentation (e.g., your friend completed form I-9 with Employer B by claiming to be a US citizen) then he is permanently banned from the US.

If your friend does not have a permanent ban, then an employer can sponsor him for a new H-1B visa after his ban period has expired. He should expect a higher than average degree of scrutiny.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.