Jump to content
ilikepotatoes

Is a Zoom Marriage Valid for Immigration?

37 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I’ve already written about this before in a separate thread, but this is kind of a different question. I’m staying with my fiancé for about a month and a half, and we’ve decided to definitely go for the Zoom marriage option sometime at the beginning of May. This is our first meeting, but we really do want to marry, and due to the unpredictability of the pandemic, we feel like this is a good option for our circumstances.

 

I know there is a requirement to be physically present/to consummate the marriage in order for it to be recognized as a valid marriage. However, in our case we will actually be together in the same country during the ceremony, with the officiant in the US. Would this benefit us and be recognized as valid by USCIS? As long as that requirement is met, will our marriage be considered legitimate?

 

I also plan to go back to visit with him for a few weeks to see him graduate from medical school in the summertime. Are we on the right track? Thanks in advance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi there!

 

I don't have an exact answer to your specific question, but I know someone else did a zoom marriage and they've even gone through the interview stage now. It might be helpful to you to go through her thread a little and see if it helps answer your question.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, PZibran325 said:

Hi there!

 

I don't have an exact answer to your specific question, but I know someone else did a zoom marriage and they've even gone through the interview stage now. It might be helpful to you to go through her thread a little and see if it helps answer your question.

 

 

Hello! Thank you for responding. This is actually the post that we saw that made us decide to go this route. It certainly sounds hopeful!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ilikepotatoes said:

I’ve already written about this before in a separate thread, but this is kind of a different question. I’m staying with my fiancé for about a month and a half, and we’ve decided to definitely go for the Zoom marriage option sometime at the beginning of May. This is our first meeting, but we really do want to marry, and due to the unpredictability of the pandemic, we feel like this is a good option for our circumstances.

 

I know there is a requirement to be physically present/to consummate the marriage in order for it to be recognized as a valid marriage. However, in our case we will actually be together in the same country during the ceremony, with the officiant in the US. Would this benefit us and be recognized as valid by USCIS? As long as that requirement is met, will our marriage be considered legitimate?

 

I also plan to go back to visit with him for a few weeks to see him graduate from medical school in the summertime. Are we on the right track? Thanks in advance. 

A bigger issue will the red flag of marrying on the first visit.  It sounds like the Zoom marriage will be OK since you both will be actually be together during and after the marriage.  Good luck.


"The immigration process demands a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and money.  A deficit in any of these areas can spell heartbreak."

   -GB, "old man of much life experience"

 

Retired 20 year United States Air Force Missileer (Retired E-8)

Retired Registered Nurse with practice in Labor/Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, Adult Psych

Retired IT Professional, Software Developer, Database Manager

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lucky Cat said:

A bigger issue will the red flag of marrying on the first visit.  It sounds like the Zoom marriage will be OK since you both will be actually be together during and after the marriage.  Good luck.

I will be with him for over a month. And then I’m visiting him a second time to see him graduate about a month later. That’s still a red flag?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
1 hour ago, ilikepotatoes said:

I will be with him for over a month. And then I’m visiting him a second time to see him graduate about a month later. That’s still a red flag?

What country?


Met: February 2020
Filed I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé : July 2020
Married: February 2021
Canceled I-129F: February 2021
Filed I-130, Petition for Alien Relative: March 2021

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, ilikepotatoes said:

I will be with him for over a month. And then I’m visiting him a second time to see him graduate about a month later. That’s still a red flag?

 

Will marrying on the first visit be a red flag?  Yes.  Will it be impossible to get a visa with that red flag?  No.  The key to overcoming most red flags is to spend lots of time together in person.  How much time together will convince the consul officer that your relationship is bona fide?  No one but the CO will know.  Just spend as much time together as you can, then bring evidence of that to the interview.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
58 minutes ago, Strawberrymermaid said:

What country?

Earlier post said studying in Ukraine, from Zimbabwe.  OP received lots of good advice in that post if I recall about the red flags involved in this case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, carmel34 said:

Earlier post said studying in Ukraine, from Zimbabwe.  OP received lots of good advice in that post if I recall about the red flags involved in this case.

Yes I did. I was told that the amount of time I’ll be spending with him will be beneficial to our case. Several users did say that it won’t necessarily be a red flag, and that other couples have had success with shorter periods of time together. We are continuing to gather evidence, and I will go back and visit with him as much as I can. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
10 hours ago, Chancy said:

 

Will marrying on the first visit be a red flag?  Yes.  Will it be impossible to get a visa with that red flag?  No.  The key to overcoming most red flags is to spend lots of time together in person.  How much time together will convince the consul officer that your relationship is bona fide?  No one but the CO will know.  Just spend as much time together as you can, then bring evidence of that to the interview.

 

We married on the first visit.  No flags.  Relax LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, ilikepotatoes said:

Yes I did. I was told that the amount of time I’ll be spending with him will be beneficial to our case. Several users did say that it won’t necessarily be a red flag, and that other couples have had success with shorter periods of time together. We are continuing to gather evidence, and I will go back and visit with him as much as I can. 

This is my understanding based on 15 years here.

 

1.  Proxy marriages must be legal in your state or held in a state where they are legal.

2.  After the marriage, you have to show proof you have spent time together physically (considered proof of consummation but details not required LOL) before you file.  That time together “legalizes” it in the eyes of USCIS.

 

The thread you referenced is exactly the way to do it.  Making sure the marriage is “legal” takes a little research.

 

While time together is valuable, we and many others did not have that much time and in our case married first visit because her family wanted it that way and I had one block of vacation for one trip and used it to get married and honeymoon.  We have never had a sniff of an issue with any immigration case or step.  
 

Good luck!

Edited by Nitas_man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
11 hours ago, ilikepotatoes said:

I will be with him for over a month. And then I’m visiting him a second time to see him graduate about a month later. That’s still a red flag?

No, not really.  Depending on the rest of the circumstances, marriage during the first SHORT visit CAN BE a red flag.  Red flag and reason for denial are not the same thing.


Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Nitas_man said:

This is my understanding based on 15 years here.

 

1.  Proxy marriages must be legal in your state or held in a state where they are legal.

2.  After the marriage, you have to show proof you have spent time together physically (considered proof of consummation but details not required LOL) before you file.  That time together “legalizes” it in the eyes of USCIS.

 

The thread you referenced is exactly the way to do it.  Making sure the marriage is “legal” takes a little research.

 

While time together is valuable, we and many others did not have that much time and in our case married first visit because her family wanted it that way and I had one block of vacation for one trip and used it to get married and honeymoon.  We have never had a sniff of an issue with any immigration case or step.  
 

Good luck!

Thank you for responding. I’m from NY, but the marriage will be officiated “in” Utah, over zoom of course. The gentleman I spoke to said that they don’t consider it to be a proxy marriage, but immigration does. Would this still be considered legal? New York doesn’t allow proxy marriages but they do recognize them, from what I read.  

Edited by ilikepotatoes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...