ilikepotatoes

Is a Zoom Marriage Valid for Immigration?

46 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
57 minutes ago, ilikepotatoes said:

Thank you for responding. I’m from NY, but the marriage will be officiated “in” Utah, over zoom of course. The gentleman I spoke to said that they don’t consider it to be a proxy marriage, but immigration does. Would this still be considered legal? New York doesn’t allow proxy marriages but they do recognize them, from what I read.  

I'm not even sure NY law factors much into it because when you get married you are not going to be in NY (you will be in a different country) and the marriage officiant is going to be in Utah and not with the two of you. Quite honestly I am not sure how this is going to work. why not get a marriage officiant where you both are going to be? 

As far as getting married on a first visit, in general, it is a red flag. Wouldn't it be if you had met someone in New York, and married them on a first date or within the first month? That's why it is a red flag, however, as someone mentioned before just because it might be a red flag doesn't mean your I-130 won't be approved. It is probably more common now with the fact that most of us sponsoring our spouses are long distance couples and there's a pandemic which causes a LOT of uncertainty with respect to which country comes up with which restrictions and when. SO i wouldn't worry about that part too much, just be prepared to provide evidence of a bona fide relationship. What I am more concerned is making sure your zoom marriage is acceptable with the officiant is going to be remote. What about witnesses? If I were you, i'd consider getting a local officiant and if you are set on the idea of the zoom marriage with a remote officiant, I might consider calling USCIS and asking about whether that is acceptable or doing research into what USCIS considers acceptable in terms of a marriage.

Please do check the attached image or the URL

https://www.fickeymartinezlaw.com/immigration/proxy-marriage-for-u-s-immigration/#:~:text=Does USCIS Recognize Proxy Marriage,if two elements are present.&text=Second%2C the proxy marriage is,by proxy) consummate the relationship.

Screen Shot 2021-04-17 at 1.00.04 AM.png

Edited by PZibran325
adding info for proxy marriages

IR-1/CR-1

Canada

February 2021 - Sent I-130

July 2021 - Sent expedite request

July 2021 - Approved 

August 2021 - NVC Welcome Letters

November 2021 - NVC requests missing documents

December 2021 - Submitted missing docs to NVC

May 2022  Notice of interview appointment

June 2022 - Interview + put in AP

March 2023 - AP complete + second medical requested by consulate

April 2023 - new medical submitted, visa status changed to issued

May 2023 - Entry into US

3 minutes ago, PZibran325 said:

I'm not even sure NY law factors much into it because when you get married you are not going to be in NY (you will be in a different country) and the marriage officiant is going to be in Utah and not with the two of you. Quite honestly I am not sure how this is going to work. why not get a marriage officiant where you both are going to be? 

As far as getting married on a first visit, in general, it is a red flag. Wouldn't it be if you had met someone in New York, and married them on a first date or within the first month? That's why it is a red flag, however, as someone mentioned before just because it might be a red flag doesn't mean your I-130 won't be approved. It is probably more common now with the fact that most of us sponsoring our spouses are long distance couples and there's a pandemic which causes a LOT of uncertainty with respect to which country comes up with which restrictions and when. SO i wouldn't worry about that part too much, just be prepared to provide evidence of a bona fide relationship. What I am more concerned is making sure your zoom marriage is acceptable with the officiant is going to be remote. What about witnesses? If I were you, i'd consider getting a local officiant and if you are set on the idea of the zoom marriage with a remote officiant, I might consider calling USCIS and asking about whether that is acceptable or doing research into what USCIS considers acceptable in terms of a marriage.

Another user on VJ posted about her success going through this particular county in Utah with a Zoom ceremony. That’s where I got the idea in the first place. Witnesses can attend virtually, that is all organized ahead of time.

We have done so much research, and have tried to figure out how to have a traditional marriage either in his home country (Zimbabwe), or current country of residence (Ukraine). Both countries are very difficult to obtain marriage licenses from. Now throw a pandemic into the mix, and it’s even more of a mess. I’ve got  fingerprints, a background check, and a non impediment to marriage certificate sitting on my bookshelf, waiting to be mailed to Zimbabwe to get the marriage process going. But then I was told that we needed to be present in the country for at least 30 days, which just is not financially feasible. Then Zimbabwe banned marriages due to covid numbers. Ukraine is just as impossible. We feel trapped.  I was told that since the marriage is legal in this particular county in Utah, with the officiant in Utah, it would be considered legal. But now I’m getting a little nervous lol. I just don’t know what else to do.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, ilikepotatoes said:

Another user on VJ posted about her success going through this particular county in Utah with a Zoom ceremony. That’s where I got the idea in the first place. Witnesses can attend virtually, that is all organized ahead of time.

We have done so much research, and have tried to figure out how to have a traditional marriage either in his home country (Zimbabwe), or current country of residence (Ukraine). Both countries are very difficult to obtain marriage licenses from. Now throw a pandemic into the mix, and it’s even more of a mess. I’ve got  fingerprints, a background check, and a non impediment to marriage certificate sitting on my bookshelf, waiting to be mailed to Zimbabwe to get the marriage process going. But then I was told that we needed to be present in the country for at least 30 days, which just is not financially feasible. Then Zimbabwe banned marriages due to covid numbers. Ukraine is just as impossible. We feel trapped.  I was told that since the marriage is legal in this particular county in Utah, with the officiant in Utah, it would be considered legal. But now I’m getting a little nervous lol. I just don’t know what else to do.

No need to get nervous. In this case, it seems you do not have much of a choice but to go this route. It is a risk, but it's worth taking. Such explanations will help you prove the validity of your zoom marriage, so I would go for it. Since it is legal in Utah and you are physically going to be together to consummate the marriage, all you need is:

1) Proof that it is legal in utah

2) attach proof of "being together" (pictures, receipts, etc) before and after the marriage (this will prove consummation)

3) the explanation you just provided me may be helpful to add with your application (this helps the immigration officers understand why you would choose to go this route)

I would also just to be safe call in to USCIS and ask about this situation. They do have a number, and I believe they have a chat option as well on their site. Not sure how helpful they are because I have never tried them, but it is worth a shot.

This is my opinion obviously and not legal advice lol

IR-1/CR-1

Canada

July 2021 - Approved 

May 2023 - Entry into US

5 minutes ago, PZibran325 said:

No need to get nervous. In this case, it seems you do not have much of a choice but to go this route. It is a risk, but it's worth taking. Such explanations will help you prove the validity of your zoom marriage, so I would go for it. Since it is legal in Utah and you are physically going to be together to consummate the marriage, all you need is:

1) Proof that it is legal in utah

2) attach proof of "being together" (pictures, receipts, etc) before and after the marriage (this will prove consummation)

3) the explanation you just provided me may be helpful to add with your application (this helps the immigration officers understand why you would choose to go this route)

I would also just to be safe call in to USCIS and ask about this situation. They do have a number, and I believe they have a chat option as well on their site. Not sure how helpful they are because I have never tried them, but it is worth a shot.

This is my opinion obviously and not legal advice lol

Thank you so much for your thoughtful responses. I appreciate the advice. I will definitely give them a call on Monday, as I assume they will be closed over the weekend. 

Where it becomes hazy to me is that...as far as I know, proxy marriages aren’t permitted in Utah, BUT they don’t consider a marriage over Zoom to be by proxy. And this is definitely legal in this particular county. It’s USCIS that considers it to be proxy. This is just my very vague understanding of the matter. However, when I spoke to the gentleman in Utah, he told me he didn’t think this would be an issue, as long as we can prove the consummation aspect of the marriage. So confusing. But since someone else seemed to have success going this route, that is at least a positive. 

Timeline
18 minutes ago, ilikepotatoes said:

Thank you so much for your thoughtful responses. I appreciate the advice. I will definitely give them a call on Monday, as I assume they will be closed over the weekend. 

Where it becomes hazy to me is that...as far as I know, proxy marriages aren’t permitted in Utah, BUT they don’t consider a marriage over Zoom to be by proxy. And this is definitely legal in this particular county. It’s USCIS that considers it to be proxy. This is just my very vague understanding of the matter. However, when I spoke to the gentleman in Utah, he told me he didn’t think this would be an issue, as long as we can prove the consummation aspect of the marriage. So confusing. But since someone else seemed to have success going this route, that is at least a positive. 

Exactly it is very positive. 

See if you can get an affidavit from your officiant that indicates that zoom marriages are not considered proxy in Utah. This will also help you in the sense that even thought USCIS might consider it proxy but the jurisdiction in which the marriage was performed (i.e. Utah) it is not considered proxy. And I would be surprised anyway, if USCIS has not chilled out a bit with respect to such things considering that we are still fighting a pandemic. 

I'd not worry too much, I'd do the following:

1) call monday and see if you can get a response from them

2) but honestly regardless of the response this is pretty much your only option, so maybe skip calling them and just do it. It has obviously been done before and successfully.

3) then get an affidavit from your officiant that this is not considered proxy marriage in Utah

4) attach proof of "being together" (pictures, receipts, etc) before and after the marriage (this will prove consummation)

5) attach also an explanation why you had to pick this route (i.e. if you didn't go this route you wouldn't be getting married)

IR-1/CR-1

Canada

July 2021 - Approved 

May 2023 - Entry into US

18 hours ago, PZibran325 said:

Exactly it is very positive. 

See if you can get an affidavit from your officiant that indicates that zoom marriages are not considered proxy in Utah. This will also help you in the sense that even thought USCIS might consider it proxy but the jurisdiction in which the marriage was performed (i.e. Utah) it is not considered proxy. And I would be surprised anyway, if USCIS has not chilled out a bit with respect to such things considering that we are still fighting a pandemic. 

I'd not worry too much, I'd do the following:

1) call monday and see if you can get a response from them

2) but honestly regardless of the response this is pretty much your only option, so maybe skip calling them and just do it. It has obviously been done before and successfully.

3) then get an affidavit from your officiant that this is not considered proxy marriage in Utah

4) attach proof of "being together" (pictures, receipts, etc) before and after the marriage (this will prove consummation)

5) attach also an explanation why you had to pick this route (i.e. if you didn't go this route you wouldn't be getting married)

Thank you so much for these thoughtful responses. Definitely feeling less anxious now and more confident about our decisions! 

Timeline
17 hours ago, ilikepotatoes said:

Thank you so much for these thoughtful responses. Definitely feeling less anxious now and more confident about our decisions! 

No problem at all. My pleasure ❤️

Edited by PZibran325

IR-1/CR-1

Canada

July 2021 - Approved 

May 2023 - Entry into US

On 4/18/2021 at 3:28 PM, PZibran325 said:

No problem at all. My pleasure ❤️

I truly appreciate it. One other question...we filed for the marriage license before meeting on this trip. The reason for this is simply because we didn’t want to lose the chance of getting a wedding date in May (I leave at the end of May). When I called Utah County, they said that they are booking up for May so far, and that they advised to try to set the date for a ceremony fairly soon. Do you think that they’ll be skeptical being that we filed for this license ahead of time? 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
10 minutes ago, ilikepotatoes said:

Do you think that they’ll be skeptical being that we filed for this license ahead of time?

I doubt they'll care.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline
2 hours ago, ilikepotatoes said:

I truly appreciate it. One other question...we filed for the marriage license before meeting on this trip. The reason for this is simply because we didn’t want to lose the chance of getting a wedding date in May (I leave at the end of May). When I called Utah County, they said that they are booking up for May so far, and that they advised to try to set the date for a ceremony fairly soon. Do you think that they’ll be skeptical being that we filed for this license ahead of time? 

Honestly, i would be surprised if they even noticed it unless you brought it up. Let me tell you what can happen in such cases where the relationship is less than two years old. They will still approve the petition but grant a two-year conditional green card so that two years later you have to show proof of a bona fide relationship before the beneficiary spouse can get a permanent green card. They don't keep spouses apart unless the beneficiary spouse has a criminal history or the petitioning spouse cannot financially support them once they are here.

IR-1/CR-1

Canada

July 2021 - Approved 

May 2023 - Entry into US

On 4/16/2021 at 10:54 PM, PZibran325 said:

I might consider calling USCIS and asking about whether that is acceptable or doing research into what USCIS considers acceptable in terms of a marriage.

USCIS does not accept such inquiries.  They don't offer legal advice or assistance of that type.

3 hours ago, PZibran325 said:

Honestly, i would be surprised if they even noticed it unless you brought it up. Let me tell you what can happen in such cases where the relationship is less than two years old. They will still approve the petition but grant a two-year conditional green card so that two years later you have to show proof of a bona fide relationship before the beneficiary spouse can get a permanent green card. They don't keep spouses apart unless the beneficiary spouse has a criminal history or the petitioning spouse cannot financially support them once they are here.

Great thank you! That’s a relief! I over worry far to much lol

Timeline
17 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

USCIS does not accept such inquiries.  They don't offer legal advice or assistance of that type.

I don't disagree with you but based on family members' experiences they do answer questions and can provide some amount of guidance or hints. It sometimes depends on who you get. They will say they can't provide legal advice but at the same time they are the ones who evaluate your case files so depending on who you get some officials are a bit more forthcoming with helpful hints/guidance. 

But as I mentioned to the OP in a later reply, it's better if she just goes that route she has chosen because she does not have another choice. Attach explanations and affidavits and submit her application. 

IR-1/CR-1

Canada

July 2021 - Approved 

May 2023 - Entry into US

21 minutes ago, PZibran325 said:

They will say they can't provide legal advice but at the same time they are the ones who evaluate your case files so depending on who you get some officials are a bit more forthcoming with helpful hints/guidance. 

Sorry, but you are incorrect.  The adjudicators of the petitions are not the tier 1 or tier 2 customer service reps.  There is no route for the public to speak directly to adjudicators.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.