ourwildjourney

USCIS Office re-openings?

74 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

So many of us are in the same boat -- needing in person office appointments.  

I know all of our crystal balls are very cloudy right now, but do those of you who watch and know this closely have an opinion on when USCIS offices will open?  (I am especially wondering about ASC and biometrics).

Specifically -- It feels like Monday the 30th could be a day that the Federal Gov't wants to reopen businesses (just basing this on Trump's comments today of the cure not being worse than the problem itself).  And Monday the 30th most certainly will be a day that the Democratic governors of hard hit states like CA, NY, WA want to keep things closed.

If there is a clash between Federal and State, who would control when field offices open?  The States or the Fed?

10 minutes ago, ourwildjourney said:

If there is a clash between Federal and State, who would control when field offices open?

The feds.

The offices are open - just not to the public.  Caseloads that can be done at home are being taken home.

I wouldn't hold hope for March 31.  The US confirmed cases is still going and 5+ states or 20% of the population is still under shelter in place.

The surgeon general said this morning "It's going to get bad"

Edited by Paul & Mary

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Paul & Mary said:

The feds.

The offices are open - just not to the public.  Caseloads that can be done at home are being taken home.

I wouldn't hold hope for March 31.  The US confirmed cases is still going and 5+ states or 20% of the population is still under shelter in place.

The surgeon general said this morning "It's going to get bad"

I agree with all of that.  Completely.  It just feels like Trump is setting the table to disagree with Fauci and the individual states next week.  Let's see what happens.  It's so weird that the banks are open but not biometrics.  

Thanks for the crystal ball!  

21 minutes ago, ourwildjourney said:

It's so weird that the banks are open but not biometrics.  

Banks are not federal offices.

I know you asked about USCIS - but the State Department's NVC has started furloughing based on one story. . .

https://www.seacoastonline.com/news/20200320/furloughs-hit-national-visa-center-workers-at-pease

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
19 minutes ago, ourwildjourney said:

It's so weird that the banks are open but not biometrics.  

Weird if you think our immigration issues are more important than banking. They are not. There are state and federal laws regulating bank hours, consecutive days of closing, etc. They actually do vary from state-to-state, such as when a governor can declare an official state of mourning, natural disaster, etc. Some banks are going to online and drive-thru only. They have to be available for cash deposits/transfers, etc. We'll get back to normal soon enough - hopefully. The feds will contact you.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, WandY said:

Weird if you think our immigration issues are more important than banking. They are not. There are state and federal laws regulating bank hours, consecutive days of closing, etc. They actually do vary from state-to-state, such as when a governor can declare an official state of mourning, natural disaster, etc. Some banks are going to online and drive-thru only. They have to be available for cash deposits/transfers, etc. We'll get back to normal soon enough - hopefully. The feds will contact you.

16 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Trump is minimizing the impact of the virus, for obvious reasons.  

Yup.  Which is why I wonder what happens next Monday when his 15 Days is up.  Does he then say it is bad and everything stays closed?  Or minimize it and force the Democratic governors to take the fall for things staying closed.  I gues we just stay tuned ...

Timeline
Just now, ourwildjourney said:

Yup.  Which is why I wonder what happens next Monday when his 15 Days is up.  Does he then say it is bad and everything stays closed?  Or minimize it and force the Democratic governors to take the fall for things staying closed.  I gues we just stay tuned ...

9 minutes ago, WandY said:

Sorry I was unclear.  I am not putting value on what is open or not.  Rather wondering what happens next Monday when the Federal government's 15 Days are up.  If Trump says to open things back up and Democratic governors in those states say no, who wins?  

Timeline
12 minutes ago, Paul & Mary said:

I know you asked about USCIS - but the State Department's NVC has started furloughing based on one story. . .

https://www.seacoastonline.com/news/20200320/furloughs-hit-national-visa-center-workers-at-pease

Wow.  So thoughts are that possibly ASC not only stay closed, but workers lose their jobs in the process?  This is all so sad on so many levels.  

18 minutes ago, ourwildjourney said:

If Trump says to open things back up and Democratic governors in those states say no, who wins?  

Governors.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.