20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I've added my husband (came from England on K-1) to my power, gas, and city bill. As I bought my house, I am unable to add him to the loan so the only thing I can do is add him to the deed. We may be possibly moving in the spring. Will showing that his mail is coming to my house and having him on all the utilities be enough to show we live together or do I have to add him to the deed of the house? 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
20 minutes ago, Pooley said:

I've added my husband (came from England on K-1) to my power, gas, and city bill. As I bought my house, I am unable to add him to the loan so the only thing I can do is add him to the deed. We may be possibly moving in the spring. Will showing that his mail is coming to my house and having him on all the utilities be enough to show we live together or do I have to add him to the deed of the house? 

I would say if you can add him to the deed, then do it.  For my wife I added her to my lease, and all associated utility bills.  The more evidence, the better!  

18 minutes ago, Pooley said:

Will showing that his mail is coming to my house and having him on all the utilities be enough to show we live together or do I have to add him to the deed of the house? 

It’s enough evidence for cohabitation but adding him to the deed will be one of the strongest evidence of financial commingling. However I understand it’s a sensitive issue and if you’re not willing I’d understand. 

Also, technically I don’t think you “add” him to the deed. You have to do a quit claim from you to both you and him.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
1 minute ago, USS_Voyager said:

It’s enough evidence for cohabitation but adding him to the deed will be one of the strongest evidence of financial commingling. However I understand it’s a sensitive issue and if you’re not willing I’d understand. 

Also, technically I don’t think you “add” him to the deed. You have to do a quit claim from you to both you and him.

That's what I figured. I also added him to my bank account so we have joint accounts plus all the utilities. Just wondering if anyone else has not added their spouse and been okay. 

18 minutes ago, Pooley said:

That's what I figured. I also added him to my bank account so we have joint accounts plus all the utilities. Just wondering if anyone else has not added their spouse and been okay. 

other options include, wills, life insurance... that are pretty easy and cheap to do...

my hubby tried adding me to the deed, but deed wasnt in his name yet given he’s still paying the house off, so we refinanced with a different bank, got a better deal on interest and added me to the loan during my last visit. 

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

You should understand the tax consequences of adding your non-citizen spouse to the deed.  From my research and reading of tax rules, gifting partial title to a spouse is non-taxable ONLY when the spouse is a US Citizen. For your non-citizen spouse, the deed that you quitclaim (50%) will be considered taxable income in the eyes of the IRS. 

52 minutes ago, TandSarahJane said:

For your non-citizen spouse, the deed that you quitclaim (50%) will be considered taxable income in the eyes of the IRS. 

That is true if the spouse is a nonresident alien for tax purposes: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/1041 Determine if your spouse is a resident alien for tax purposes: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/determining-alien-tax-status

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
2 hours ago, Pooley said:

My wife did not add me to the deed of our initial residence which she owned with no mortgage. We bought a new house after one year and the deed and the mortgage were only in her name. I got through Removing Conditions and Naturalisation without being listed as a joint home owner or on the utility bills. 

I wouldn't bother for AOS. You'll have enough evidence of other joint things by the time you interview. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
11 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

My wife did not add me to the deed of our initial residence which she owned with no mortgage. We bought a new house after one year and the deed and the mortgage were only in her name. I got through Removing Conditions and Naturalisation without being listed as a joint home owner or on the utility bills. 

I wouldn't bother for AOS. You'll have enough evidence of other joint things by the time you interview. 

Agreed, we made it all the way through without joint home ownership.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
12 hours ago, HRQX said:

That is true if the spouse is a nonresident alien for tax purposes: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/1041 Determine if your spouse is a resident alien for tax purposes: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/determining-alien-tax-status

Actually there is an indexed exclusion amount for taxation of spousal gifts when the spouse is not a US Citizen.  In 2019, that exclusion amount is $155,000.  If the spouse is a US Citizen then the exclusion is unlimited.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

adding to deed is enough

u would have to refinance the mortgage to add him and that means paying new closing costs which no one wants to do unless really beneficial for a lower interest rate or payment

but you plan to move and doing this would really hurt as the refinance costs can not be recovered with the sale

I did not add Adil to the mortgage

i added him to the deed 

that put him on the property tax bill and was enough for his visa here and his interview for citizenship

OP it's really not necessary unless it's something you really want to do.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

In our state it is a hassle to add a spouse to the deed as well. Takes about $500 and lot of paperwork. If you can, do a Home equity Loan and add him that way. If that is not possible, then Checking accounts, Wills, Codiciles, HealthCare proxies, 401K, health Insurance, Life, etc...

We did not even have an interview for either the AOS or the ROC. They just sent the green card in the mail (after 15 months and with no informing us either)....

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I concur with the advice that adding a spouse to the deed is a good idea and sufficient.  My husband and I are going through this now, adding his name to the deed.  In most states, spouses are, by default, equal owners of marital real estate anyway, so the revised deed is the piece of paper that formalizes this and is viewed favorably by USCIS for immigration purposes to show co-mingling of finances.  Our attorney did not charge too much to file the paperwork.  The mortgage will stay in my name only so we don't have to go through re-financing.  Good luck!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline

I also went through AOS without being on the deed and we were fine. We did add my name to it for ROC. Fortunately, my husband's work offers "legal insurance" so we were able to do all the paperwork with the help of a lawyer for free.

If you're moving, my advice is don't bother with the deed. At our AOS interview we were asked why we didn't have this type of proof (lease/deed) and we simply answered that my husband bought the house before we met.

J-1 212 Residency Requirement Waiver                                                                    Removal of Conditions

08/22/2016 Advisory opinion request                                                                      07/01/2019 Package sent (I-751)

09/30/2016 Finding letter sent *subject*                                                                 07/03/2019 Package received at Pheonix, AZ Lockbox

09/30/2016 Documents received by DOS                                                                07/10/2019 Text notification of Case received, WAC#

12/13/2016 NOS Letter received                                                                               07/12/2019 Received NOA, 18 month extension letter.

01/25/2017 Favorable Recommendation Sent                                                        01/27/2020 Biometrics taken, Pomona CA

02/02/2017 Case received by USCIS                                                                         08/14/2020 Case transferred to NBC

02/2017 Married!                                                                                                            04/02/2021 Interview scheduled

05/17/2017 Approval notice received                                                                       05/10/2021 Interview at San Bernardino office

05/11/2021 Case approved

Adjustment Of Status from J-1                                                                                     N-400

05/08/2017 Package sent (I-130, I-485 and I-765)                                                   06/28/2020 Applied Online

05/11/2017 Package received at Chicago Lockbox                                                 07/06/2020 Received NOA

05/18/2017 NOA received with case numbers via mail                                           12/14/2020 Biometrics Reuse Notice

06/06/2017 Had biometrics appointment in Pomona, CA                                       04/02/2021 Interview scheduled

08/07/2017 Sent an online service request on I-765                                                05/10/2021 Interview at San Bernardino office/Decision cannot be made because of I-751 pending

08/17/2017 Letter in the mail saying case still under review                                  05/17/2021 Case recommended for approved, submitted for quality review

08/23/2017 Scheduled for an interview                                                                      05/17/2021 Oath Ceremony will be scheduled

08/26/2017 Sent second SR on I-765                                                                          06/25/2021 Oath Ceremony, San Bernardino Office

08/26/2017 EAD New Card is Being Produced

08/29/2017 EAD card was mailed to me

08/31/2017 EAD card received in the mail

09/25/2017  Interview at San Bernardino office/GC approved

09/25/2017 GC is being produced

09/28/2017 GC was mailed to me

09/30/2017 GC received in the mail

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.