Eric Bargemann

Domestic Air Travel, Expired K-1/I-94, No AOS NOA Yet

37 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
24 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Sounds like the attorney isn’t putting as much effort into the process as effort and concern you are putting into it.

Why should the attorney worry? It isn't him or his wife in the avoidable predicament. B-)

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

1 hour ago, Eric Bargemann said:

If we're flying just from PHX to DEN, we'd only be passing through TSA. So as long as her foreign passport (which remains current/valid) matches the name on her ticket (which it does), should we be okay?

Shouldn't be an issue.  It would be absolutely no issue with a NOA1

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

3 hours ago, Eric Bargemann said:

If we're flying just from PHX to DEN, we'd only be passing through TSA. So as long as her foreign passport (which remains current/valid) matches the name on her ticket (which it does), should we be okay?

The name matching the ticket is a separate issue. This is check the “no fly” list for national security. Immigration is a separate beast. 

Whilst you will not encounter immigration officials for a domestic flight, I have had my passport checked by TSA to see if I had a valid status in the USA when flying from Seattle to Spokane during a visit with my husband before I immigrated. I was bluntly told by the TSA agent that it is their duty to report anyone they come across who is out of status. They can not arrest you for it. But they can certainly call USCIS, just as anyone can, if they believe someone is here illegally. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
5 hours ago, Eric Bargemann said:

I’d plan to drive.  That’s just me though.

5 hours ago, Eric Bargemann said:

In my opinion, I don't believe you have anything to be concerned about at all. TSA checkpoints domestically are really just verifying the identity document is valid, legitimate and matches the boarding pass. Sure...there are always exceptions to rules and always worse case scenarios but honestly I don't believe you should let that hold you back from your vacation. You will likely have your NOA by then anyway.

6 hours ago, payxibka said:

Most do without issue.   However,  the CBP has been known to "hangout" at the TSA checkpoint from time to time 

I got checked by CBP in Minneapolis/St Paul back in May, so they don't just hang out at major airports, either.

OP is there a reason you're using an attorney? Your situation is one of the pitfalls of using one (besides the cost) and if it's a straightforward case there's really no need and you could always just ask for your documents back and send them yourself, thus removing the extra layer of delay getting things sent/received.

Edited by dentsflogged

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
19 minutes ago, kiwihurricane15 said:

In my opinion, I don't believe you have anything to be concerned about at all. 

From my perspective , without the NOA 1 in hand , the risk is low but the consequences are high .. Risk  management decision making  would consider that a high level for concern. 

Edited by Lil bear

8 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

From my perspective , without the NOA 1 in hand , the risk is low but the consequences are high .. Risk  management decision making  would consider that a high level for concern. 

That may be true but I see so much fear mongering on this website, I would hate for only negative opinions and thoughts to take over.

I'm confident given all of the information that they will have the NOA in hand so don't want them rushing to make changes until its absolutely necessary.

12 minutes ago, kiwihurricane15 said:

That may be true but I see so much fear mongering on this website, I would hate for only negative opinions and thoughts to take over.

I'm confident given all of the information that they will have the NOA in hand so don't want them rushing to make changes until its absolutely necessary.

That depends on when the lawyer decides to finally send it. What if it sits on his desk for the next month before he decides to send? Fire the lawyer and you could be a week in and have already gotten your nao1 and this would not be an issue. You could have also paid for your trip with the money you saved from lawyer.

39 minutes ago, Dxc said:

That depends on when the lawyer decides to finally send it. What if it sits on his desk for the next month before he decides to send? Fire the lawyer and you could be a week in and have already gotten your nao1 and this would not be an issue. You could have also paid for your trip with the money you saved from lawyer.

Don't disagree with you, I personally didn't use a lawyer and submitted all the paperwork myself. Very quick and smooth sailing! And best of all- FREE

OP, you seem like an intelligent man. Why didn’t you file the AOS paperwork?  We’re here to help!  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, Dxc said:

Like one person, waiting for a month or two, and still no information.  Lawyer never returns calls or answers emails.    They don't call them derogatory names for no reason..  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.