Ramiro Osuna

Outside of the US for 8 years while on a 2 year conditional Green Card

41 posts in this topic

Hi there!

My case is a bit complicated. I traveled to the US on a F-1 Visa, got married and obtained my 2 Year conditional Green Card. I filed for divorce before the 2 years and due to health issues I had to leave the US right before it expired. Now It's been 8 years since I left, I lived in Argentina ever since and kept little to no contact with my ex-wife. What are my chances to file for re-entry and hopefully remove conditions a get the 10 year GC. I know It's been a while...what would the steps be to move back to the US?

Thanks a lot!

Ramiro

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

You abandoned your US residency. On what basis do you want to come back to the US for?

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Zero chances of re-entry..........You'll have to find another legal immigration route.....

Your case is actually not complicated at all......

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Zero chances.   You can look for an employment route.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

3 minutes ago, Ramiro Osuna said:

Hey Guys! Thanks a lot for your response! I was thinking about moving, find work and live in the US. Regain my legal status, has it been too long for it to be possible? If I don't have an employer that's willing to sponsor my visa, what are the other routes? Is my Green Card useless now?

Your green card is useless.  You can apply for a tourist visa.   You will need to find an employer that would sponsor you.

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
1 minute ago, Ramiro Osuna said:

Hey Guys! Thanks a lot for your response! I was thinking about moving, find work and live in the US. Regain my legal status, has it been too long for it to be possible? If I don't have an employer that's willing to sponsor my visa, what are the other routes? Is my Green Card useless now?

There are residency requirements for you to keep your LPR status, which you didn't satisfy. At most you can be out of US for 2 years (in extreme cases), but you need to obtain permission to stay abroad before travelling. You being out of US for 8 years means that you abandoned your LPR status by default.

Timeline Info below:

Spoiler

04/21/16 -- Marriage

----- CR1 Process -----

USCIS Stage [222 days from NOA1]

06/08/16 -- Sent I-130

01/31/17 -- I-130 petition sent to NVC [Received Email notification and MyUscis status update]

NVC Stage [105 days from NOA2]

Embassy/Consulate (Interview) Stage [43 days from Case Complete to Visa in Hand]

05/18/17 -- Consulate Received. CEAC Case status changed to "Ready"

06/01/17 -- Medical Examination [Complete. It took around 2 hours. Total Cost INR 11650 for Surat City Apollo Clinic]

06/12/17 -- Biometric (OFC) Appointment

06/13/17 -- Interview [7:30 AM at Mumbai, India]. Visa Approved

06/15/17 -- Visa in hand

06/21/17 -- POE at DFW (Dallas, Texas)

----- Removal of Condition -----

Removal of Condition (I-751) [Approved]

06/18/2019 -- Sent the package (3 Days before GC expires, cutting it close). Sent to Lewisville, TX via FedEx Ground

06/19/2019 -- Package received at around 9:30 AM (Hoping I don't get rejected for missing deadline)

06/24/2019 -- Card was charged with $680 fees. Text Message received confirming Receipt. Case routed to NBC (Case Number starts with 'MSC')

06/28/2019 -- NOA Hard Copy & 18 Months Extension Letter Received in Mail with NOA Date as 06/19/2019

07/12/2019 -- Biomentrics Appointment Letter received. The Letter is Dated 7/5/2019. Appointment is on 7/22/2019

07/22/2019 -- Biometrics Appointment Complete

02/01/2022 -- Interview Scheduled for 3/3/2022 (combo interview)

03/03/2022 -- Interview Complete. No new Green Card will be produced as my Naturalization was also approved.

03/04/2022 -- USCIS status changed to approved.

----- Naturalization -----

Naturalization (N-400) [Approved]

03/26/2022 -- N-400 online application complete. NOA Date.

01/15/2021 -- Biometric Complete.

02/28/2022 -- Interview scheduled for 3/3/2022 (combo interview)

03/03/2022 -- Interview Passed. Status changed to 'we recommended that your application be approved...' and then to 'Oath Ceremony Will Be Scheduled'.

03/09/2022 -- Oath Ceremony was scheduled for 3/25/2022.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Ramiro Osuna said:

Family based

Employment based

Diversity Lottery..

You have abandoned your legal status by failing to remove conditions on your conditional green card.  Unlike a 10 year green card, your status expires with expiration of the 2 year green card.  In addition, you voluntarily remained outside the US for 8 years.  You currently have no status....and no authority to enter the US.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

46 minutes ago, Ramiro Osuna said:

Yes the green card is useless. It was a conditional 2 year green card. Why would a 2-year GC be valid 8 years later?

As others have mentioned, you status was abandoned. As a permanent resident (green card holder), you were suppose to remain residence inside the US. You only option is to find an employer that is willing to sponsor you. You don't have any eligible family to petition for you. Also, the DV lottery may be an option.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Did you file the I 407?

Have you been filing US taxes?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Unfortunately I don't currently have an employer...what I could do is contact my ex-wife, would that help? I did not file the I 407, just left the US before my Green Card expired. I currently have no ties, just people I know that live in the US. I thought I would save enough money to move there, but I guess I made the terrible mistake of not removing conditions before leaving.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Ramiro Osuna said:

Unfortunately I don't currently have an employer...what I could do is contact my ex-wife, would that help? I did not file the I 407, just left the US before my Green Card expired. I currently have no ties, just people I know that live in the US. I thought I would save enough money to move there, but I guess I made the terrible mistake of not removing conditions before leaving.

Even if you had done ROC you would still be assessed as abandoning your LPR status by staying out due over 2 years. “ Wanting to live in the US” doesn’t have a visa category 😳

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Ramiro Osuna said:

Your ex-wife can't help you.  It doesn't matter that you didn't file the I-407, you have been living outside the US for 8 years and thus abandoned your status.  Even if you had filed to remove the conditions, you effectively abandoned your LPR status by living abroad for 8 years.

Sorry, but there is no hope for you to immigrate to the US based on your expired 2 years conditional green card.  The Diversity Visa is your only hope.

15 minutes ago, Ramiro Osuna said:

what I could do is contact my ex-wife,

Do you think she wants you back?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.