Matrix13

Does anyone front-load their AOS package?

48 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
3 hours ago, Nat&Amy said:

The NBC will merely check the basics and if your payment cleared. Nothing else. If you send an application with 5 pages or 50, at the end of the day it is not the NBC that will spend time looking at it. To say that frontloaded applications would cause problems is speculation at best.

To the OP, I offered my own experience frontloading and yes, it helped my case because otherwise the officer would not have been able to make a decision before I even entered her room for the interview. So I am reluctant to tell someone not to send documents when those are available and when there is evidence that IOs look at them before the interview.

I concur on this.  Why not?  We’ve been seeing RFE’s on AOS cases for evidence.  

I say gather everything it and send it in.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

We front loaded ours with lots of pictures, joint health insurance, bank accounts and authorized credit card user, cell phone bills flight itinerary and hotels together, gym membership and dog adopted together, etc and our interview is in 3 weeks, with no rfes. I did it for the reason a couple mentioned, so our interview is mostly a formality because I knew I would be nervous and I already am my interview is on the 24th. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
14 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

I concur on this.  Why not?  We’ve been seeing RFE’s on AOS cases for evidence.  

I say gather everything it and send it in.

I sent just the marriage certificate,  no RFE

YMMV

34 minutes ago, lonesurvivor said:

We front loaded ours with lots of pictures, joint health insurance, bank accounts and authorized credit card user, cell phone bills flight itinerary and hotels together, gym membership and dog adopted together, etc and our interview is in 3 weeks, with no rfes. I did it for the reason a couple mentioned, so our interview is mostly a formality because I knew I would be nervous and I already am my interview is on the 24th. 

Your case is different as you are adjusting from a tourist visa, meaning you filed an I-130 with the I-485, so what you sent is the required evidence. It was not front loading. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
7 hours ago, Nat&Amy said:

I frontloaded my application with all evidence of bonafide marriage we had (join bank accounts and credit cards, a couple of wedding pictures, leasing contract in both names, etc) and when we got to our interview the IO was waiting with an approval notice she had produced the night before, right after reviewing our file.

Applied in Dec 2018, got GC in  March 2019. 

So yes, frontloading might make things easier because it gives the officer the chance to analize your evidence before you go to the interview, which is in many cases a mere formality to confirm some info and check some boxes. Even though it is not mandatory, I still have to hear about the cons of frontloading (spoiler alert: there are NONE). So if you have good, solid evidence, send it. 

This is exactly what I did, joint bank accounts, credit cards, car title and registration in both out names, medical insurance, 401k beneficiaries , etc, only a few examples of each. My interview is now less than a month away, I too am hoping to walk in pick up the approval notice and walk out. I will post the results of my interview when it happens.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Uruguay
Timeline
8 hours ago, Nat&Amy said:

I frontloaded my application with all evidence of bonafide marriage we had (join bank accounts and credit cards, a couple of wedding pictures, leasing contract in both names, etc) and when we got to our interview the IO was waiting with an approval notice she had produced the night before, right after reviewing our file.

So yes, frontloading might make things easier because it gives the officer the chance to analize your evidence before you go to the interview, which is in many cases a mere formality to confirm some info and check some boxes. Even though it is not mandatory, I still have to hear about the cons of frontloading (spoiler alert: there are NONE). So if you have good, solid evidence, send it. 

I've read across this forum that mentions those who had frontloaded the AOS package, the state of CA could get an interview waiver. Only in CA.

K-1 Visa process (I'm the USC [F]) [2018-2019]

Spoiler

Sent packet: August 10, 2018 (Lines Compressed to fit signature restriction guideline)

USCIS Received package: August 14 - Notification in text/email: August 17 - Mail received from USCIS: January 22, 2019
USCIS Approved I-129F Petition: January 17 - NVC Received Case: February 14 - NVC Case # Assigned: February 14

US Embassy Received: Not sure but got email reply - March 11 - Instructions Received via e-mail: March 19

Interview: May 7 - Approved! - Arriving to US/POE: June 12 - Married July 15, 2019

AOS Process [2019-2020]

Spoiler

Sent packet: July 27, 2019 - USCIS Received Package: July 29 - [Hiccup] Package was sent back due to incorrect fee and sent on August 5.
Notification in text/email: August 12 @ 12:30AM - Check cashed: August 12 - NOA 1 Mail: August 16 - Biometric: September 5 @ Atlanta, GA

AOS RFIE: Sept. 28 - got in mail by Oct 3. [They lost my Husband's Birth Certificate] - Sent back AOS RFIE: Oct 16 2019, at office by Oct 17.
AOS Case update notice on April 9th, 2020, waiting for mail. - Interview date: Scheduled as of July 15, date is August 19. Passed the interview!

My Husband got his GC! 2 Year Conditional Green Card expires 08/19/2022, Residence since 08/19/2020

ROC Process [2022-2024]

Spoiler

Sent packet: June 16, 2022 via USPS, USCIS Received Package: June 21
Notice in text (didn't get email nor text on other phone): June 24
Notice date: June 23, package is at SRC (Texas Service Center), Paid with Credit Card, payment taken on June 25
NOA 1 Mail: June 30, Biometric: Reused
Got letter in mail for extension: April 12th, Received date June 21, 2022, Notice date: April 5, 2023 = 48 Months Extension. No physical card yet.
Approved without interview as of Feb 15th, 2024. Was not a combo interview with N-400.

Naturalization N-400 [2023-...]

Spoiler

Filed Online: July 28, 2023NOA: July 29, 2023
Service Center: NBC, application # starts with IOE#.
Biometrics waived. Got NOA mail Jan 5, 2024 says Interview in Nashville, TN on Feb 6, 2024.
Queue for review and approval. Already in line for Oath Ceremony as of Feb 13th, 2024.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 minutes ago, WaterLeaf said:

I've read across this forum that mentions those who had frontloaded the AOS package, the state of CA could get an interview waiver. Only in CA.

Huh?

YMMV

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
9 hours ago, Nat&Amy said:

We did front-load our I-129F for the Guangzhou consulate, that seemed to be the prudent thing to do when dealing with a tough consulate.

We submitted our, not front-end loaded, K1 and K2 AOS/EAD/AP (double the fun :yes: ) on  17 Aug 2012, the wife and stepson got their GC, after the interview from hell, on 30 Nov 2012.  The stars, the moon, and the tides were all lined up perfectly. We burned some joss to the gods afterwards.... :dance:

There are so many other internal and external factors that can alter timelines during AOS processing, that to attribute quick success to one type of form preparation is a bit of a canard. 

YMMV.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

We did frontload with a few (under a dozen), high quality, items. The IO at the interview said they reviewed our case prior to the interview, and the interview was very quick and very simple. Just a few questions from the I-485 and verifying that our address change was in the system. It was a pleasant experience. YMMV

In our case, I thought the limited frontloading was helpful, especially since Manila (where we got the K-1 visa) COs only looked at the relationship evidence in passing...there was no record of what we provided them to get the visa.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Nah, I didn't send anything with my AOS application other than what was required. No proof of bonafide marriage at all. I brought a ton of evidence to the interview but the officer wasn't interested to see any of it. The AOS interview was the easiest step of my immigration process this far. Took 10 minutes and I was approved on spot.

Edited by Scandi

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
7 hours ago, Nat&Amy said:

To the OP, I offered my own experience frontloading and yes, it helped my case because otherwise the officer would not have been able to make a decision before I even entered her room for the interview. So I am reluctant to tell someone not to send documents when those are available and when there is evidence that IOs look at them before the interview.

I sent no evidence at all and my approval notice was already printed by the time of the interview. The officer didn't want to look at any of the evidence I had brought with me either.

So yes, you can absolutely be "pre-approved" without any evidence whatsoever.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi! Good luck with everything!

yes, it is true that everyone gets an interview. But, how long and hard the interview is, depends on the package. 

A lot of people here will tell you that there is no need to do it, and it's not mentioned anywhere on the USCIS site. And some people do get away with not doing it and still getting an easy interview. Not everyone though. 

Well, I can tell you a story from my experience. Per advice of my lawyer, I loaded my package as much as I could (yes, it was not easy to gather all these in just a few weeks, but I did my best): 

- Health insurance

- joint mobile phone bills

- joint utility bills

- joint bank account

- tickets and bookings from traveling together (before and after me coming to the US)

- pictures of us together, us with a family and friends (from before and after me coming to the US)

- affidavits from 2 friends and 2 family members that they are aware of us being a couple and they've seen us together and wish us a long a happy life together

- whatever wedding itinerary we had, bills paid etc.

(all this in addition to standard list of USCIS requirements).

I also sent the list to a few of my friends who were going through adjustment from K-1 at the same time (we met on this forum and became friends in real life). 

As a result, all of my friends and I had a super short and basic interview. They pretty much said "we already have enough evidence in the file, no need to add anything"  - they only took updated financial docs and that's about it. Very basic questions, like "what language do you speak with your spouse's family?" "how did you guys meet?" "when did you meet in person for the first time?" "when was your wedding?"

Nothing like some people say - what side of the bed you sleep on or what's your toothbrush color lol. Super chill and friendly. We were approved the same day. And my IO said this was a GREAT package and I should make sure to prepare the same one for removal conditions, this will help to avoid having to go for an interview. 

Sorry for a long post lol. Hope it helps :)

4 hours ago, Scandi said:

Nah, I didn't send anything with my AOS application other than what was required. No proof of bonafide marriage at all. I brought a ton of evidence to the interview but the officer wasn't interested to see any of it. The AOS interview was the easiest step of my immigration process this far. Took 10 minutes and I was approved on spot.

My experience was about the same and I only sent in a copy of my marriage certificate

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
2 hours ago, p-ana said:

My experience was about the same and I only sent in a copy of my marriage certificate

7 hours ago, Scandi said:

I sent no evidence at all and my approval notice was already printed by the time of the interview. The officer didn't want to look at any of the evidence I had brought with me either.

So yes, you can absolutely be "pre-approved" without any evidence whatsoever.

I never mentioned anywhere that people will not get approved if they don't frontload their application. Congratulations to you both for not needing them, but please note that lots of things have changed in immigration in two/three years (from your timeline I see that your AoS was either in 2016 or 2017) and also that not needing evidence at all (not even at the interview!) might mean that they made a decision based on the documents they had on file for your K1. In which case...my point remains: that they do look at the documents they already have before you set foot in their office.

Edited by Nat&Amy

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.