Matrix13

Does anyone front-load their AOS package?

48 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

I slightly front-loaded my AOS I believe. I had our lease, renters insurance, wedding pictures, joint savings and checking account statements. It was mostly due to me being too excited. I also did front-loaded my k1 too although my embassy was not a tough one. 

(Addition: I never got an RFE but of course I can’t say if it is related to front loading because there are lots of weird RFEs flying around 🤷🏻‍♀️)

Both interviews were really smooth. Do I think it’s because of front-load? Smoothness maybe, but I don’t think results were connected to front-loading. Because even though we were approved really quickly and IO actually took the same exact things I sent and didn’t really ask for things that wasn’t in the petition. I ended up giving the same wedding pictures and a bigger pack of joint account statements.

I know it is not necessary and especially if you don’t have it yet I don’t think anybody should wait just to front load it. But it does give an ease of mind, at least to me, because it does say something about ongoing relationship proof in the instructions and it wasn’t very clear to me how much k1 was not included in that.

however, at the interview when IO asked for evidence she was about to say “oh wait how long you’re married” which wasn’t a question but about the evidence. So I’m sure they don’t really expect it from newly weds at the same level of a ROC.

also I missed the upvote button 😭 that was the best button right after lol.

Edited by Naes

1 hour ago, Nat&Amy said:

I never mentioned anywhere that people will not get approved if they don't frontload their application. Congratulations to you both for not needing them, but please note that lots of things have changed in immigration in two/three years (from your timeline I see that your AoS was either in 2016 or 2017) and also that not needing evidence at all (not even at the interview!) might mean that they made a decision based on the documents they had on file for your K1. In which case...my point remains: that they do look at the documents they already have before you set foot in their office.

Well they should look at every case file before interview as to know the person and their case anyway. 

I know it’s been a few years now from my aos interview but the rules never changed, what changed is that now everyone’s being interviewed.

Im all for people sending whatever they want to send, I just don’t see a point of frontloading when you have to have an interview and can present documents there, you’ll be there in person to argue your case if it’s needed 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
1 hour ago, Nat&Amy said:

I never mentioned anywhere that people will not get approved if they don't frontload their application. Congratulations to you both for not needing them, but please note that lots of things have changed in immigration in two/three years (from your timeline I see that your AoS was either in 2016 or 2017) and also that not needing evidence at all (not even at the interview!) might mean that they made a decision based on the documents they had on file for your K1. In which case...my point remains: that they do look at the documents they already have before you set foot in their office.

Of course they look at your case before the interview, they did with mine too that had absolutely no evidence at all. Did that change anything? Nope, still the same smooth interview and pre-approval.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

If you read this thread and others regarding AOS, it is apparent that you can do whatever makes you comfortable.  Ultimately, the correct response is going to be office and IO specific, and you are not going to know in advance what is the best course of action.

With that randomness of process, you can do whatever you think is right because there is no correct answer.    

Finally done.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

I am always for front loading, even though I’ll admit it’s more often than not overkill.

My observation is that whether for AOS or a new visa you can wait and bring what you want to the interview.  The problem is the interviewer can choose not to look at or accept what you bring and make a decision on what was submitted.  It does happen.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

It is impossible to determine what guarantees an approval. As someone said, there are too many variables to consider but the evidence you send will be looked at, and what the IO looks at will influence his/her decision. Of course, in addition to the evidence you present, there are things such as criminal background, previous visa applications and applicant profile/risk assessment, and those things might make the process longer even if you show substantial evidence of bonafide relationship.

The instructions on the i485 do not request evidence of relationship so I find it odd that people get RFEs for that reason. Frontloading is optional, not everyone who just got married has relevant documents to show anyways. But it's common sense that if you have any evidence that will help your case, then there is no reason NOT TO submit it. Not every visa application allows you to do so, but in the case of AOS, you can. Just because it is not mandatory, doesn't mean you can't do it or that it is going to hurt your case. 

Up to you, OP. Success stories on both sides.

Edited by Nat&Amy

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

No need to front-load everything.  Just simply bring all the required documents to the interview and the officer will ask to see everything there.   

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
5 hours ago, Nat&Amy said:

In which case...my point remains: that they do look at the documents they already have before you set foot in their office.

Certainly, I would hope that they look at your AOS documents prior to the interview. I still suspect that front-loading for AOS is a bit of a canard. In our own AOS case (BTW, we did not front load, we had only been married ~ 3 months), at the end of the interview of my wife, myself, and supplemental interview of my stepson, the IO indicated that he couldn't give us a decision at that time. As that he had just received our AOS file, 10 minutes before the interview. He said that he would contact us within 10-14 days with his decision, or if he needed more information. Of course, that was a big letdown. But later on that night, my SMS texting service was exploded by USCIS is 6-9 messages, some saying approved for card production, some saying under review, others saying that there had been a change in status. Optimistically, we assumed that we had been approved. My family got their GCs in the mail ~10 days later. There was no direct follow-up message from the IO. I don't think that front-loading our AOS apps. would have made one iota of difference, since by the IOs own admission he had only seen our file 10 minutes before the interview. It would seem that he reviewed our file after the interview, and based his decision on the scant papers that we had previously tendered with our initial submission, and what we had accumulated over 3 months since initial submission and presented at the interview.

YMMV. 

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline
2 hours ago, Ed&Midori1031 said:

No need to front-load everything.  Just simply bring all the required documents to the interview and the officer will ask to see everything there.   

Agree. :thumbs: In consideration of the current prolonged AOS processing times, it may make more sense to send in the AOS required documents ASAP and get your paperwork in workflow queue. Bring in the kitchen-sink of your marital bonafides with you to the interview.

It is a common belief that USCIS IOs realize that newlywed couples likely don't have much in the way of marital bonafides, so the expectation level is low. However, at the ROC phase, with document filing opening up 18 months later after AOS, bar is set pretty high for submission of marital bonafides evidence. Check out the evidence checklists posted in the ROC forum for examples. 

That is also why I have started to suggest that when people get their 2-year GC and earn a well-deserved break from USCIS, to get a shoe box, or a filing cabinet drawer and informally start saving joint marital bonafides evidence in anticipation of the ROC documents submission. When the time comes, then they can review the contents of the box/drawer and use as necessary. 

If you want to start talking about prolonged processing times, some ROC folks have been waiting for years to get their 10-yr GC.

YMMV

29 minutes ago, Pitaya said:

However, at the ROC phase, with document filing opening up 18 months later after AOS, bar is set pretty high for submission of marital bonafides evidence. 

Just a friendly reminder: the window opens 21 months after the GC is issued -90 days prior expiration-.

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

Just a friendly reminder: the window opens 21 months after the GC is issued -90 days prior expiration-.

Thanks for the correction.  I try to forget some of the inane requirements of USCIS.... :thumbs: Our own latest fun times at USCIS ended four glorious years ago. Not sure when the family wants to do N400.... 

Edited by Pitaya

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
On 9/6/2019 at 1:59 AM, Allaboutwaiting said:

There is no benefit/advantage in front loading AOS. Every couple adjusting from a K-1 will be interviewed. That's when you must bring every document you have. 

So to file for adjustment, just follow the instructions and include what's mandatory.

Is the petitioner allowed to accompany the beneficiary in person during the AOS interview?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
On 9/6/2019 at 12:08 PM, Pitaya said:

We did front-load our I-129F for the Guangzhou consulate, that seemed to be the prudent thing to do when dealing with a tough consulate.

We submitted our, not front-end loaded, K1 and K2 AOS/EAD/AP (double the fun :yes: ) on  17 Aug 2012, the wife and stepson got their GC, after the interview from hell, on 30 Nov 2012.  The stars, the moon, and the tides were all lined up perfectly. We burned some joss to the gods afterwards.... :dance:

There are so many other internal and external factors that can alter timelines during AOS processing, that to attribute quick success to one type of form preparation is a bit of a canard. 

YMMV.

How exactly was it the "interview from hell"?

6 hours ago, Hemutian said:

Is the petitioner allowed to accompany the beneficiary in person during the AOS interview?

Yes. Generally, the petitioner should be there unless there is cause for them not to be (e.g. active duty military, documented work obligations, etc.).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

there is no way we could have frontloaded since we sent the AoS application roughly 3 weeks after our marriage

RoC sent 10/30/21

NOA 11/16/21

Check Cashed 11/18/21

Biometrics Waived 01/19/2022

Beware the fury of a patient man.- John Dryden

Political attempts to require that others share your personal truths are, in their limit, dictatorships.- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.