Amy92

K1 visa broken engagement

26 posts in this topic

Hey there 

We went through the whole k1 visa process from filing to approval for a year. We were together for 5 years, 2 years together and 3 long distance with visits to each other at least once a year. In May I finally moved to the states with Ryan, my then fiancé . The day before our wedding he called it off. Absolutely devastating, heart breaking news. I was extremely lucky to have my family in the States for our wedding so I flew home with them last week after the wedding was called off. Well within the 90 days. Just wondering now if there are any implications for me? Is there a way I can have the K1 visa removed from my passport? Has anyone on here gone through this too? Any advice and support would be greatly helpful. Thank you! 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
12 minutes ago, Amy92 said:

Hey there 

We went through the whole k1 visa process from filing to approval for a year. We were together for 5 years, 2 years together and 3 long distance with visits to each other at least once a year. In May I finally moved to the states with Ryan, my then fiancé . The day before our wedding he called it off. Absolutely devastating, heart breaking news. I was extremely lucky to have my family in the States for our wedding so I flew home with them last week after the wedding was called off. Well within the 90 days. Just wondering now if there are any implications for me? Is there a way I can have the K1 visa removed from my passport? Has anyone on here gone through this too? Any advice and support would be greatly helpful. Thank you! 

Simply renewing your passport is the only way to "hide" the visa from the book per se as you will have new book, however,  the electronic record will remain

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Your K-1 was used the moment you arrived in the US, and is now part of your history.......can't erase it......

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to General Immigration Discussion, from K1 P&P - The K1 process is over and the OP is asking about the visa in her passport~~

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

I'm truly sorry you experienced such a traumatic event. It is good you're back home, surrounded by your loved ones; I'm glad you were not alone when it happened.

There won't be any kind of implication for you except the emotional one.

My guess is that you'd like to remove the visa from your passport to avoid being reminded of what happened? If you do, it would become invalid and you'd need to replace it. 

Hope you recover soon from this; my best wishes. 

Edited by Allaboutwaiting

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Hi, I'm very sorry to hear what happenned, I wish you the best of luck, keep your head up high!

"Life is a journey." At this moment, it's taking me to the USA to the woman I love.

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
36 minutes ago, Amy92 said:

Hey there 

Horrible story.  What a tool.

No way to remove it.  It was used/cancelled on entry but will be in your passport until you renew.

No way to undo the past....the (no longer valid) visa will remain in that passport book unless it is destroyed (or physically removed, although I'm assuming a ripped page would raise questions with any immigration official that notices it).

The past visa is not a negative issue itself. The K-1 process may be a negative factor for immigrant intent for some time if you apply for another US visa in the future, but that's it and should generally resolve itself in time.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
Just now, geowrian said:

No way to undo the past....the visa will remain in that passport book unless it is destroyed (or physically removed, although I'm assuming a ripped page would raise questions with any immigration official that notices it).

The past visa is not a negative issue itself. The K-1 process may be a negative factor for immigrant intent for some time if you apply for another US visa in the future, but that's it and should generally resolve itself in time.

Wondering if this is a good “oops look what happened my passport went through the wash so I need a new one event”.  

I would (guess) that returning home speaks volumes about immigrant intent as compliance is a significant (though not only) factor in future visa decisions.

7 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

I would (guess) that returning home speaks volumes about immigrant intent as compliance is a significant (though not only) factor in future visa decisions.

After some time, I agree. Within a year or so, they may think they might have gotten back together (or want to...plenty of stories on VJ where this has been attempted).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

14 hours ago, geowrian said:

No way to undo the past....the (no longer valid) visa will remain in that passport book unless it is destroyed (or physically removed, although I'm assuming a ripped page would raise questions with any immigration official that notices it).

I wouldnt rip it out haha for now I am putting my passport away so doubt I'll be seeing that visa page for a while. I have nothing to hide so I guess I will tackle the visa questions next time I apple for a visa. I don't plan on doing a k1 visa again. Maybe only a visiters visa for vacations oneday. I had one that was still valid but it was cancelled when my K1 visa was approved. 🙄

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Amy92 said:

Wow really? I don't see us getting back together at all. And even if that were to happen there is no way I am uprooting my life again, he can move to South Africa but doubt he has the balls to do so. 

Well now if you pit the boy against a pride of lions and he wins out he might be salvageable.  

Either way it would make for some great TV.

Good luck to you.  Hope you can see that this is probably a good outcome. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

so very sorry

i am just glad you look young enough to overcome anything

and i often think that the Immigrant should always be allowed to enter the US prior to finalizing anything to see what they are getting into (i know not possible because of the high fraud countries)  

but i find many immigrants disappointed in the job market as they are not equipted with a  good education (talking about morocco now) or the USC lives in the country and they are use to city life or the weather is unbearable for him / her

and in a few cases that have messaged me here and on facebook ,  the immigrant finds out the USC is abusive or has emotional issues 

you actually are better off that this happened before a marriage instead of after 

but still,   the heartbreak is so hard now and you have my prayers

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.