Amy92

K1 visa broken engagement

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
2 hours ago, Amy92 said:

I wouldnt rip it out haha for now I am putting my passport away so doubt I'll be seeing that visa page for a while. I have nothing to hide so I guess I will tackle the visa questions next time I apple for a visa. I don't plan on doing a k1 visa again. Maybe only a visiters visa for vacations oneday. I had one that was still valid but it was cancelled when my K1 visa was approved. 🙄

You can apply for a tourist visa if you plan on visiting the US again. Those are valid for 10 years so you wont' have to keep renewing ESTA's :)

More importantly, you should focus on yourself right now and building your life and self esteem back up. My heart goes out to you. I can't imagine the heartache and disappointment, not to mention returning to a life that you packed up and having to rebuild it again.  Be patient with yourself. It takes time to heal. You deserve better. Hugs. 

Lee & William

8/2/2014 - Sent I-129F Petition with USPS by Express Mail    
8/4/2014 - I-129F delivered to dropbox    8/6/2014 - NOA1 Text/E-Mail received    8/11/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed (Text/E-Mail) / NOA1 Letter received by Mail    3/16/2015 - NOA2 Text/E-Mail received (224 days)    3/20/2015 - Sent to NVC    3/31/2015 - NVC Received    4/1/2015 - Case Number Assigned       4/7/2015 - NVC Sent to Embassy    4/10/2015 - London Embassy Received    4/11/2015 - Medical     4/15/2015 - Packet 3 Received    4/12/2015 - Packet 3 Sent    4/23/2015 - Packet 4 Received    5/18/2015 - Interview - APPROVED     5/30/2015 - Visa collected from courier    6/1/2015 - POE    6/14/2015 - Wedding 💍💍

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I'm really sorry that happened to you. Sounds like you are better off without him though and it's good your family was there for you. Just focus on yourself and healing from the heartbreak. You can't undo the K1 since you used it, but just be open and honest if you ever go through immigration again in the future and I'm sure it will be fine. 

The Dalai Lama, when asked what surprised him most about humanity, answered "Man.... Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."

- The Dalai Lama

3 hours ago, Amy92 said:

Wow really? I don't see us getting back together at all. And even if that were to happen there is no way I am uprooting my life again, he can move to South Africa but doubt he has the balls to do so. 

I 100% get that. :) The issue is people have had cold feet and then got back together, and a CO isn't going to put much (if any) effort to determine if that's the case or not for a tourist visa. They will practically err on the side of caution.

Hence the time would be a factor IMO.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
3 hours ago, Amy92 said:

Wow really? I don't see us getting back together at all. And even if that were to happen there is no way I am uprooting my life again, he can move to South Africa but doubt he has the balls to do so. 

It's pretty clear which person was the cool one in this relationship. I would move to ZA in a heart beat to be with someone I love. Best of luck going forward in your healing.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
48 minutes ago, wbeem said:

You can apply for a tourist visa if you plan on visiting the US again. Those are valid for 10 years so you wont' have to keep renewing ESTA's :)

More importantly, you should focus on yourself right now and building your life and self esteem back up. My heart goes out to you. I can't imagine the heartache and disappointment, not to mention returning to a life that you packed up and having to rebuild it again.  Be patient with yourself. It takes time to heal. You deserve better. Hugs. 

Just a note that applying for a B2 is a bad idea if you're from an ESTA country. You have to have solid reasons for wanting a longer stay versus the 90 days you can get on ESTA, and if they deny the B2 you lose ESTA for a time.

Like this topic posted today:

Edited by Mollie09

7 hours ago, wbeem said:

Thank you for the kind words. Taking it one day at a time. It's not going to be a quick process but facing it and I am blessed with an amazing support network. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
6 hours ago, Mollie09 said:

Just a note that applying for a B2 is a bad idea if you're from an ESTA country. You have to have solid reasons for wanting a longer stay versus the 90 days you can get on ESTA, and if they deny the B2 you lose ESTA for a time.

Like this topic posted today:

I think the OP is concerned about what happens if she is NOT able to apply for an ESTA for future travel. Obviously if this route is open to her, that is preferable, but if not, a tourist visa is the only real other option as a visitor. I guess she will cross that bridge as or when she gets to it. Since there was no ill intent and she complied with the terms of the K1 and did not stay when she didn't marry, there shouldn't be an issue. So yes, if ESTA is an option, then that's the better way to go. If not, there is a possible alternative to explore. 

Lee & William

8/2/2014 - Sent I-129F Petition with USPS by Express Mail    
8/4/2014 - I-129F delivered to dropbox    8/6/2014 - NOA1 Text/E-Mail received    8/11/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed (Text/E-Mail) / NOA1 Letter received by Mail    3/16/2015 - NOA2 Text/E-Mail received (224 days)    3/20/2015 - Sent to NVC    3/31/2015 - NVC Received    4/1/2015 - Case Number Assigned       4/7/2015 - NVC Sent to Embassy    4/10/2015 - London Embassy Received    4/11/2015 - Medical     4/15/2015 - Packet 3 Received    4/12/2015 - Packet 3 Sent    4/23/2015 - Packet 4 Received    5/18/2015 - Interview - APPROVED     5/30/2015 - Visa collected from courier    6/1/2015 - POE    6/14/2015 - Wedding 💍💍

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
10 hours ago, Amy92 said:

South Africa is not a VWP country.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

On 7/16/2019 at 9:50 AM, Amy92 said:

Hey there 

We went through the whole k1 visa process from filing to approval for a year. We were together for 5 years, 2 years together and 3 long distance with visits to each other at least once a year. In May I finally moved to the states with Ryan, my then fiancé . The day before our wedding he called it off. Absolutely devastating, heart breaking news. I was extremely lucky to have my family in the States for our wedding so I flew home with them last week after the wedding was called off. Well within the 90 days. Just wondering now if there are any implications for me? Is there a way I can have the K1 visa removed from my passport? Has anyone on here gone through this too? Any advice and support would be greatly helpful. Thank you! 

Hi 

Dont feel bad, that K-1 visa now is useless and just forget about it  and if you wish to return to u,s just engage or marry someone else  

BUT the previous K-1 visa  without even being processed and not  your fault  will hunt you down as a problem  so you can simply report that to u.s embassy where you received it  in order to clean up your name and record or you can just ignore it and face the circumstances.

I 'd say go and explain to the embassy so you dont fall into a bad position because you never did apply for an immigration benefits so its ok but just make sure that embassy knows about so they dont suspect and target  yours a fake marriage as it would affect your future ones because K-1 visa can be cancelled by them and you dont need to act like you lost your passport and get a new one, because its in embassy records... so 

GO TELL THE EMBASSY what happened...

He ? dont worry  he ll pay for that ..god is watching all  and what goes around comes around ...

Edited by jumbo mambo

Not sure what to tell the embassy or why they would care since there's no case. They issued the K-1, the K-1 was used, and it's over now. The only time it could come back up would be if/when they apply for another visa. Until then, nobody's going to care or act on it...they have other things to do.

I'm a bit unsure why so many people are harping on him. Nothing was mentioned about him being a bad person...just that it didn't work out. Yeah, cancelling the wedding a day before is not a good experience by any means, but not cancelling it when you're not sure if you want to be married is the wrong decision IMO. Nobody should go into a marriage questioning if they did the right thing...nothing good comes from that. I wish it was sooner, but a lot happens within those first 90 days and sometimes people realize it wasn't what they want.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

On 7/17/2019 at 6:59 AM, wbeem said:

OP isn't a citizen or national of a VWP designated country: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/tourism-visit/visa-waiver-program.html OP is from South Africa: https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/712990-k1-visa-broken-engagement/?do=findComment&comment=9793218

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.