zaynab

Do i must have his permission ?

33 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, zaynab said:

Hi, I have a simple question, too much problems with a spouse, I wanted to leave him temporary, I had to travel overseas, Do I had to ask his permission to travel?  

Thanks

Huh?  Why on earth would a grown adult woman in the United States need a spouse's permission to travel?!  

You absolutely do NOT have to have your husband's permission to travel outside of this country or within it. You are not beholden to him for his blessing for you to travel or leave him, temporarily or permanently.

8 minutes ago, laylalex said:

You absolutely do NOT have to have your husband's permission to travel outside of this country or within it. You are not beholden to him for his blessing for you to travel or leave him, temporarily or permanently.

Thanks a lot

Filed: Other Country: Senegal
Timeline
15 hours ago, zaynab said:

Hi, I have a simple question, too much problems with a spouse, I wanted to leave him temporary, I had to travel overseas, Do I had to ask his permission to travel?  

Thanks

Yes , in a religious way, you have to!

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
11 minutes ago, zimbalo said:

Yes , in a religious way, you have to!

Not in the US.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Other Country: Senegal
Timeline
19 minutes ago, arken said:

Not in the US.

Christianity, Islam and Judaism will tell you to ask your wife or your husband a permission before traveling, and we have all religions here in the USA. It depends on your relationship with your partner and what you are facing.

1 hour ago, zimbalo said:

Christianity, Islam and Judaism will tell you to ask your wife or your husband a permission before traveling, and we have all religions here in the USA. It depends on your relationship with your partner and what you are facing.

There's a big difference between checking with your spouse out of courtesy and kindness, and expecting your spouse to seek your permission to travel. The first is what we do here when we care about our spouses. The second is a form of controlling your spouse. Been there, done that, never doing it again. I am a grown up woman and I do not need my fiance's permission to travel abroad, across the country or down the road. If he ever tried to pull that on me I would show him the door. He can certainly tell me his opinion, including why it may not be a good idea to go wherever it is I want to go, and I will consider his opinion seriously because I love him. But as for him having the last word? NOPE.

Maybe if you're in some BDSM relationship and the submissive needs to seek her master's permission? Even then, there is no requirement for a woman to do this. Yuck.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Actually there are countries where a ,married woman needs a note from the husband to leave the country ( not surprisingly the countries are usually hotbed for forged documents ) 

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
Just now, NigeriaorBust said:

Actually there are countries where a ,married woman needs a note from the husband to leave the country ( not surprisingly the countries are usually hotbed for forged documents ) 

Well the USA is NOT one of them. Women here are free to travel and go where they choose. This is a clash of two cultures.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

No, you do not legally or immigration wise need to ask his permission to travel. I would make sure you have your documents in order so it doesn't impact your immigration journey, including knowing how long you can stay outside of the USA and not impact your long-term plans. In addition, you should let someone know where you are going so there isn't concern for your safety. But permission, you do not need it.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

In a legal sense, no. You don't need his permission. In a personal sense, I hope he's informed. I most certainly would want my husband to let me know if he's going to be outside the country.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.