Abbey B

Annulment/Divorce from K1 after 3 months of marriage

42 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

This is very hard writing this as I was very involved with VJ during the K1 visa process and was so excited when my fiance came here to marry me from Israel.

He came in January, we married in March and as of June 9th he moved out of the apartment to stay at an AirBnB and is going to go back home after our divorce is done. We had many fundamental issues, he was not willing to work on them or seek counseling, and he kept telling me he wanted to just go home because he couldn't see a future here. 

Long story short, we already filed for AOS, EAD and AP back in May--he went for his biometrics and NOW I have filed for annulment. We have no kids or assets together other than our joint bank account which is now been closed. 

My question and concerns are:

• Given that I am his sponsor, do I have any legal obligation or liability during the divorce/annulment process? 
  • If we end up divorced instead of annulled, can he try to get alimony from me because I was his sponsor?
  • If we end up annulled, does the "fraud" stay on his record? I tried to get an annulment based off of a 'fraudulent marriage' because he promised a life here with me, promised a family and promised to stay in the US but 3 months after marriage, he does not want to stay here, does not want a family and does not want to be married. 

We are not talking and I am concerned what he can do and what he can try to get out of me given that I was his sponsor. 

Sent I-129F: March 13, 2018

NOA 1: March 15, 2018

NOA 2: October 3, 2018

Case Arrived at NVC: October 19, 2018

Case Number Received: October 22, 2018 

NVC Shipped Case to Embassy: October 30, 2018

Case Arrived at Embassy: November 2, 2018

Medical Exam: November 19, 2018

Interview: December 7, 2018

Interview Results: Approved! 

Visa Received: January 2, 2019

Point of Entry to US: January 15, 2019 

Married: March 11th, 2019

Sent I-485, I-765, and I-131: April 30, 2019 

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Pull your I-864 and that will deny the AOS. Filing either for divorce or annulment will up to the judge. If your marriage is dissolved then he will not be issued a green card and you are not responsible. 

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
8 hours ago, Abbey B said:

This is very hard writing this as I was very involved with VJ during the K1 visa process and was so excited when my fiance came here to marry me from Israel.

He came in January, we married in March and as of June 9th he moved out of the apartment to stay at an AirBnB and is going to go back home after our divorce is done. We had many fundamental issues, he was not willing to work on them or seek counseling, and he kept telling me he wanted to just go home because he couldn't see a future here. 

Long story short, we already filed for AOS, EAD and AP back in May--he went for his biometrics and NOW I have filed for annulment. We have no kids or assets together other than our joint bank account which is now been closed. 

• Given that I am his sponsor, do I have any legal obligation or liability during the divorce/annulment process? 
  • If we end up divorced instead of annulled, can he try to get alimony from me because I was his sponsor?
  • If we end up annulled, does the "fraud" stay on his record? I tried to get an annulment based off of a 'fraudulent marriage' because he promised a life here with me, promised a family and promised to stay in the US but 3 months after marriage, he does not want to stay here, does not want a family and does not want to be married. 

We are not talking and I am concerned what he can do and what he can try to get out of me given that I was his sponsor. 

I am so sorry to hear. This sends chills down my spines. Sponsoring someone for a GC is such a risky move.

To address your 2nd bullet point, he can try but this is a separate issue from what you signed with the government. He may get alimony when go to family court, but the i-864 has nothing to do with spousal support per se.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
9 hours ago, Abbey B said:

I really am sorry that this happened. He could have got here and realized that he missed his family and did not see a future in the USA besides the other items you saw. Do you have proof of fraud? If, in fact, he leaves after everything is finalized that shows me he was not in the relationship for a green card and there is no reason to believe that you would get an annulment. 

Again, I’m truly sorry this happened But fraud will be hard to prove, I believe, if all you have is promises he said. People go back on promises every day. 

As as others have said, pull the I-864 so that he does not get a green card.

N400 - Naturalization                                                                                                        U.S. Passport

Aug 05, 2018 (Day 1): Applied for Naturalization online                                                  Oct 01, 2019 (Day 1): Sent US Passport Application

Aug 06, 2018 (Day 2): Check Cashed, NOA1 received online                                         Oct 08, 2019 (Day 8 ) : Passport trackable 

Aug 11, 2018 (Day 6): Recvd notification that Biometrics appointment scheduled       Oct 17, 2019 (Day 17) : Received Passport

Aug 13, 2018 (Day 8): Received biometrics appt letter online                                        Oct 21, 2019 (Day 21) : Received Naturalization Cert. back

Aug 28, 2018 (Day 23): Biometrics Appt

May 06, 2019 (Day 274): In Line For Interview

Jun 11, 2019 (Day 311): Interview Date

July 01, 2019 (Day 327) : Oath Ceremony I AM NOW A US CITIZEN!!!!

FROM K-1 PETITION SENT TO OATH CEREMONY WAS ABOUT 7 YEARS 4 MONTHS

After 8 years of marriage divorced October 4, 2021

TO SEE MY FULL TIMELINE GO HERE: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/user/125109-cdnon-usavt/

~~moved to effects of major family changes from AOS process and procedures family based~~

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

There seems no fraud and therefore no annulment.

Certainly there have been cases where the Affidavit has been used in Divorce proceedings. 

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-5 Country: England
Timeline

Hard to see where the fraud is. Sounds like you two couldn't make it work and you wanted different things out of life once he got here. It happens, better to learn now than years down the road. Very unlikely he will get alimony after such a short marriage, I understand the I-864 has been enforced sometimes but if you two have no joint assets or liabilities the judge is more likely not to provide him with much if anything. 

-

“He’s in there fighting,” the president said. “Boris knows how to win.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

doesnt sound like fraud - sounds like you two didnt really know each other and he got here, married, and realized this is not what he wanted.

it happens.

you were not married long enough for alimony to be an issue.

pull your 864 and he will not get greencard.

doesnt sound like he wants to stay anyways.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

A annulment is very hard to obtain, unless you have hard proof of fraud. A divorce is quicker in these cases.

As others said, pull the AOS, and inform USCIS of the divorce immediately. Supply them with the divorce case number if you have that already.

Very doubtful the Judge will award him with alimony or anything else. I would not worry about that.

Nothing of fraud will be marked on him in divorce court or even immigration.

Hope he keeps his word on returning home after divorce. I'm sorry this is happening.

Formally Known as Paris Heart   A long, long time ago       france paris GIF

N-400  APPLIED FOR CITIZENSHIP:    Interview will be Houston Tx office.

Mailed:  11/13/2023

Delivered to USCIS Lock Box:  11/15/2023

Credit Card payment processed:  11-16-2023

Received Receipt #   via Text:  11-17-2023

I-797C Receipt received:  11-27-2023

Biometrics  will be reused per letter: 11-27-2023

FILED  AOS FROM AN EXPIRED VISITORS VISA:

Sent: 9/12/16: I-130 + I-485 + I-765 (USPS)

Delivered: Sept. 15th 2016 to Chicago Lock Box

Interview Feb  21st, 2018 for I-485

Interview  May 13th, 2019 for I-130 Stokes interview ( 2 minutes)

NOID issued May 17th 2019

June 5th,2019   USCIS received my response on the  NOID// Addressed the NOID myself, No lawyer ever used in case.

July 1st, 2019  10 YEAR GREEN CARD APPROVED

July 5th, 2019   Approval letters for I-130 & I-485 received in the USPS  mail.

July 11th 2019   Green Card in Hand

happy tom and jerry GIF

21 hours ago, Abbey B said:

I'm sorry to hear about this OP! It's an incredibly time consuming and lengthy process, so for it not to work truly does suck. 

As far as fraud is concerned, this does not sound fraudulent in the least. It appears to me like he came to the US to be with you, felt it wasn't right for him and wants to return home, not stay here for a GC.

If he is guilty of anything, it's of wasting your time, money and resources and and an apparent unwillingness to work on relationship issues. But fraud, no. 

I doubt he'd be able to get alimony. Personally if I were you, I'd go for a divorse rather than an annulment and be done with it. Supply USCIS with your divorce number and pull the AOS

Good luck OP 

21 hours ago, Pinkrlion said:

If your marriage is dissolved then he will not be issued a green card and you are not responsible. 

^^^ This.

It is sad to learn what you are going thru. How long have you known each other before taking the step to immigration and making a life together?

IR-1/CR-1
Spoiler

GOT MARRIED: 3-APR-2015 :wub:

HUSBAND FILED I-130: 29-MAY-2015

VISAS APPROVED: 15-JUN-2016

VISAS IN HAND; GREEN CARD FEES PAID: 21-JUN-2016

PORT OF ENTRY - FT. LAUDERDALE INTL AIRPORT: 06-AUG-2016
CONDITIONAL GREEN CARDS RECEIVED: 23-SEP-2016

I-751 FILER   
Spoiler
FILED REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS: 25-JUN-2018
FILE SENT TO NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER 11-MAY-2019
10-YR GREEN CARDS APPROVED 17-JUN-2019 
10-YR GREEN CARDS RECEIVED 21-JUN-2019 :dance: 

N-400 FILER
Spoiler
FILED CITIZENSHIP ONLINE; RECEIVED NOA1: 8-DEC-2019
BIOMETRICS WALK-IN: 18-DEC-2019
INTERVIEW SCHEDULED: 26-OCT-2020
APPROVED/SAME DAY OATH CEREMONY: 26-OCT-2020

US PASSPORT
APPLICATION APPOINTMENT AT USPS (ROUTINE): 16-SEP-2021
PASSPORT APPROVED: 30-SEP-2021
PASSPORT RECEIVED: 5-OCT-2021

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

Thank you all for the answers and your concerns. The terms of an annulment are actually up to the judge, so I am not concerned about the 'fraud' or not fraud--that is just how the case is positioned in order to get the annulment. My lawyer has successfully completed annulments regularly in the state of NJ.

I am less worried about whether it is a divorce or an annulment, I just was mostly concerned about the sponsorship status and what the consequences would be if I were to pull I-864. 

Would he have to leave the country immediately? I want him to be present in the US in order to complete the divorce/annulment and if I pull the I-864, he may have to leave right away..making the divorce proceedings that much harder to complete. 

We did not have a religious ceremony and we did do our best (after 4 years of being together) to make it work, however, in the end, it just wasn't mean to be as hard as it is...

Sent I-129F: March 13, 2018

NOA 1: March 15, 2018

NOA 2: October 3, 2018

Case Arrived at NVC: October 19, 2018

Case Number Received: October 22, 2018 

NVC Shipped Case to Embassy: October 30, 2018

Case Arrived at Embassy: November 2, 2018

Medical Exam: November 19, 2018

Interview: December 7, 2018

Interview Results: Approved! 

Visa Received: January 2, 2019

Point of Entry to US: January 15, 2019 

Married: March 11th, 2019

Sent I-485, I-765, and I-131: April 30, 2019 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Annulment or divorce makes no difference from an Immigration perspective. He can stay legally under the terms of his K1 for 90 days, beyond that with no pending adjustment he is deportable.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.