dciami

CR-1 Green card and SSN cancellation

59 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
3 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Divorce in absentia is possible 

Oh, good to know. Does that make it a longer process, if the other party is absent?

Timeline Info below:

Spoiler

04/21/16 -- Marriage

----- CR1 Process -----

USCIS Stage [222 days from NOA1]

06/08/16 -- Sent I-130

01/31/17 -- I-130 petition sent to NVC [Received Email notification and MyUscis status update]

NVC Stage [105 days from NOA2]

Embassy/Consulate (Interview) Stage [43 days from Case Complete to Visa in Hand]

05/18/17 -- Consulate Received. CEAC Case status changed to "Ready"

06/01/17 -- Medical Examination [Complete. It took around 2 hours. Total Cost INR 11650 for Surat City Apollo Clinic]

06/12/17 -- Biometric (OFC) Appointment

06/13/17 -- Interview [7:30 AM at Mumbai, India]. Visa Approved

06/15/17 -- Visa in hand

06/21/17 -- POE at DFW (Dallas, Texas)

----- Removal of Condition -----

Removal of Condition (I-751) [Approved]

06/18/2019 -- Sent the package (3 Days before GC expires, cutting it close). Sent to Lewisville, TX via FedEx Ground

06/19/2019 -- Package received at around 9:30 AM (Hoping I don't get rejected for missing deadline)

06/24/2019 -- Card was charged with $680 fees. Text Message received confirming Receipt. Case routed to NBC (Case Number starts with 'MSC')

06/28/2019 -- NOA Hard Copy & 18 Months Extension Letter Received in Mail with NOA Date as 06/19/2019

07/12/2019 -- Biomentrics Appointment Letter received. The Letter is Dated 7/5/2019. Appointment is on 7/22/2019

07/22/2019 -- Biometrics Appointment Complete

02/01/2022 -- Interview Scheduled for 3/3/2022 (combo interview)

03/03/2022 -- Interview Complete. No new Green Card will be produced as my Naturalization was also approved.

03/04/2022 -- USCIS status changed to approved.

----- Naturalization -----

Naturalization (N-400) [Approved]

03/26/2022 -- N-400 online application complete. NOA Date.

01/15/2021 -- Biometric Complete.

02/28/2022 -- Interview scheduled for 3/3/2022 (combo interview)

03/03/2022 -- Interview Passed. Status changed to 'we recommended that your application be approved...' and then to 'Oath Ceremony Will Be Scheduled'.

03/09/2022 -- Oath Ceremony was scheduled for 3/25/2022.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Just now, Tanish said:

Oh, good to know. Does that make it a longer process, if the other party is absent?

Longer,  I suppose.   More hoops to jump through for sure 

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
1 minute ago, payxibka said:

Longer,  I suppose.   More hoops to jump through for sure 

This is a very unfortunate circumstances for OP.

Timeline Info below:

Spoiler

04/21/16 -- Marriage

----- CR1 Process -----

USCIS Stage [222 days from NOA1]

06/08/16 -- Sent I-130

01/31/17 -- I-130 petition sent to NVC [Received Email notification and MyUscis status update]

NVC Stage [105 days from NOA2]

Embassy/Consulate (Interview) Stage [43 days from Case Complete to Visa in Hand]

05/18/17 -- Consulate Received. CEAC Case status changed to "Ready"

06/01/17 -- Medical Examination [Complete. It took around 2 hours. Total Cost INR 11650 for Surat City Apollo Clinic]

06/12/17 -- Biometric (OFC) Appointment

06/13/17 -- Interview [7:30 AM at Mumbai, India]. Visa Approved

06/15/17 -- Visa in hand

06/21/17 -- POE at DFW (Dallas, Texas)

----- Removal of Condition -----

Removal of Condition (I-751) [Approved]

06/18/2019 -- Sent the package (3 Days before GC expires, cutting it close). Sent to Lewisville, TX via FedEx Ground

06/19/2019 -- Package received at around 9:30 AM (Hoping I don't get rejected for missing deadline)

06/24/2019 -- Card was charged with $680 fees. Text Message received confirming Receipt. Case routed to NBC (Case Number starts with 'MSC')

06/28/2019 -- NOA Hard Copy & 18 Months Extension Letter Received in Mail with NOA Date as 06/19/2019

07/12/2019 -- Biomentrics Appointment Letter received. The Letter is Dated 7/5/2019. Appointment is on 7/22/2019

07/22/2019 -- Biometrics Appointment Complete

02/01/2022 -- Interview Scheduled for 3/3/2022 (combo interview)

03/03/2022 -- Interview Complete. No new Green Card will be produced as my Naturalization was also approved.

03/04/2022 -- USCIS status changed to approved.

----- Naturalization -----

Naturalization (N-400) [Approved]

03/26/2022 -- N-400 online application complete. NOA Date.

01/15/2021 -- Biometric Complete.

02/28/2022 -- Interview scheduled for 3/3/2022 (combo interview)

03/03/2022 -- Interview Passed. Status changed to 'we recommended that your application be approved...' and then to 'Oath Ceremony Will Be Scheduled'.

03/09/2022 -- Oath Ceremony was scheduled for 3/25/2022.

26 minutes ago, Tanish said:

That is correct. Please consider the following scenario:

If the beneficiary returns and ends up on public benefits, OP will be on hook to support him, correct? There is no way out of it even if they are divorced?

Maybe take a look at the rules for submitting a signed I864 so that you see there is no 1% chance of anything: 

Responsibilities as a Sponsor

When you sign the affidavit of support, you accept legal responsibility for financially supporting the sponsored immigrant(s), generally until they become U.S. citizens or are credited with 40 quarters of work. Your obligation as a sponsor also ends if you or the individual sponsored dies or if the individual sponsored ceases to be a lawful permanent resident and departs the United States.

Note: Divorce does NOT end the sponsorship obligation.

If an immigrant you sponsored receives any means-tested public benefits, you are responsible for repaying the cost of those benefits to the agency that provided them. If you do not repay the debt, the agency or the immigrant can sue you in court to get the money owed. Any joint sponsors and household members who  allowed the sponsor to combine their income with the sponsor’s income to meet the minimum income requirements are also legally responsible for financially supporting the sponsored immigrant. In fact, any joint sponsor and household member is jointly or severally liable with the petitioning sponsor, meaning that the joint sponsor and household member are independently liable for the full extent of the reimbursement obligation and can be sued in court or be asked to pay the money owed, even if the petitioning sponsor is not sued or asked for money.

26 minutes ago, dciami said:

Thanks everyone!  The marriage fell apart and he decided to leave. I just feel like there is a responsibility on my part as his sponsor to let the USCIS and SS office know that he's not present in the United States anymore and I'd like to withdraw my support in case he comes back without me knowing and does something unpredictable

I'd like to know this too

OP, unfortunately, this was a calculated choice made by you to marry and file for this person to emigrate to US. You cannot withdraw anything that is technically already set in stone. The above I quoted from USCIS lists the responsibilities of the sponsor a.k.a. YOU.

IR-1/CR-1
Spoiler

GOT MARRIED: 3-APR-2015 :wub:

HUSBAND FILED I-130: 29-MAY-2015

VISAS APPROVED: 15-JUN-2016

VISAS IN HAND; GREEN CARD FEES PAID: 21-JUN-2016

PORT OF ENTRY - FT. LAUDERDALE INTL AIRPORT: 06-AUG-2016
CONDITIONAL GREEN CARDS RECEIVED: 23-SEP-2016

I-751 FILER   
Spoiler
FILED REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS: 25-JUN-2018
FILE SENT TO NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER 11-MAY-2019
10-YR GREEN CARDS APPROVED 17-JUN-2019 
10-YR GREEN CARDS RECEIVED 21-JUN-2019 :dance: 

N-400 FILER
Spoiler
FILED CITIZENSHIP ONLINE; RECEIVED NOA1: 8-DEC-2019
BIOMETRICS WALK-IN: 18-DEC-2019
INTERVIEW SCHEDULED: 26-OCT-2020
APPROVED/SAME DAY OATH CEREMONY: 26-OCT-2020

US PASSPORT
APPLICATION APPOINTMENT AT USPS (ROUTINE): 16-SEP-2021
PASSPORT APPROVED: 30-SEP-2021
PASSPORT RECEIVED: 5-OCT-2021

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Ok, I'm going to put my two cents in...You all keep talking about permanent resident green card, but the 2 year green card is a conditional resident green card, not permanent.  I agree that the she should notify the USCIS, let them determine what the next best step is.  She may or may not be on the hook but it's not for us to decide or really advise on.  We aren't making the decision and really with the USCIS it could go anyway up, down, sideways.  😉😀

OP, I am sorry about your marriage.  None of us want to go through that.  Unfortunately when we marry someone there is always that risk...I wish they would allow our loved ones to visit us to see if they really want to come to the US.  It can be overwhelming to live in another country.

Edited by CSTSLP

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
3 minutes ago, CSTSLP said:

Ok, I'm going to put my two cents in...You all keep talking about permanent resident green card, but the 2 year green card is a conditional resident green card, not permanent.  I agree that the she should notify the USCIS, let them determine what the next best step is.  She may or may not be on the hook but it's not for us to decide or really advise on.  We aren't making the decision and really with the USCIS it could go anyway up, down, sideways.  😉😀

OP, I am sorry about your marriage.  None of us want to go through that.  Unfortunately when we marry someone there is always that risk...I wish they would allow our loved ones to visit us to see if they really want to come to the US.  It can be overwhelming to live in another country.

There is only one way for this to go. The husband has his green card and only he can cancel it. He is free to return the US at any time and the spouse is on the hook for the I-864. Period.

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Cathi said:

There is only one way for this to go. The husband has his green card and only he can cancel it. He is free to return the US at any time and the spouse is on the hook for the I-864. Period.

Again, we are NOT the ones making this decision.  She needs to call USCIS and let them make that decision.  You can say all day long that he has to cancel it but unless you work for the USCIS, which I highly doubt...then you can only speculate.  He still has to meet the criteria for a bonified marriage at the end of the two year.  Obviously, he won't be able to do that because he won't be in the States.  I also know there are exceptions to every rule.  So, OP, the best advice is to call the USCIS and let them tell you what to do.

Edited by CSTSLP

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
12 minutes ago, CSTSLP said:

Too bad, AOS agreement doesn’t discriminate between 2 yr GC or 10 yr GC holders.

We aren’t making decision, we are simply suggesting what OP can and can’t do.

The only time USCIS will take any action on OP’s husband is during the ROC process or if he surrender’s GC before that. He doesn’t return and doesn’t file for ROC or files but gets denied, problem solved, he will no longer be a Permanent resident and OP is not on the hook from that point. If he files for ROC and gets 10 yr GC, OP is on the hook.

USCIS will not cancel one’s residency (permanent or conditional) based on the spouses’s statement or request.

Edited by arken

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Timeline
2 minutes ago, arken said:

Too bad, AOS agreement doesn’t discriminate between 2 yr GC or 10 yr GC holders.

We aren’t making decision, we are simply suggesting what OP can and can’t do.

The only time USCIS will take any action on OP’s husband is during the ROC process or if he surrender’s GC before that. He doesn’t return and doesn’t file for ROC or files but gets denied, problem solved, he will no longer be a Permanent resident and OP is not on the hook. If he files for ROC and gets 10 yr GC, OP is on the hook.

USCIS will not cancel one’s residency (permanent or conditional) based on the spouses’s statement or request.

Maybe, maybe not.  The one thing that I have learned during this process is to never rely solely on what Immigration offices (USCIS, NVC or Consulate) does for one person because as soon as you say they won't do it, they do it.

1 hour ago, Tanish said:

That is correct. Please consider the following scenario:

If the beneficiary returns and ends up on public benefits, OP will be on hook to support him, correct? There is no way out of it even if they are divorced?

1 hour ago, dciami said:

I'd like to know this too

Nope. Says so on page 7 of the affidavit.

https://www.uscis.gov/i-864

image.thumb.png.c04eaebf700902e5ea1f2fbd8cd22d96.png

You really should take note of what you sign. We see this all the time. People are willing to sign these forms in blood to bring their loved one here but when things go sour they are shocked to find out how much they could be responsible for.

To be honest, the best option is to move on. Even with a 2 year GC he can still be a permanent resident. As as someone already mentioned, he may change his mind about living in the US next week or so.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Not that he is going to but, he husband can come back anytime during the first year with the I-551 stamp on his passport.  He can also request a new green card.

OP can file divorce.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

16 minutes ago, CSTSLP said:

Again, we are NOT the ones making this decision.  She needs to call USCIS and let them make that decision.  You can say all day long that he has to cancel it but unless you work for the USCIS, which I highly doubt...then you can only speculate.  He still has to meet the criteria for a bonified marriage at the end of the two year.  Obviously, he won't be able to do that because he won't be in the States.  I also know there are exceptions to every rule.  So, OP, the best advice is to call the USCIS and let them tell you what to do.

We know you are trying to help but what you are saying is not entirely true. 

First, she would have to PROVE that he abandoned his residency status and is NOT SIMPLY VISITING HIS FAMILY. Just because he is not here today does not mean he can't return tomorrow and continue his residency. A resident can stay out of the US for 6 months or more so for her to simply call and say he abandoned his residency would not merit anything unless there is substantial proof of fraud.

The green card is his and she has no control over it. He can continue being a resident of the US without her. We see it all the time.

Edited by Unlockable

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
5 minutes ago, CSTSLP said:

Maybe, maybe not.  The one thing that I have learned during this process is to never rely solely on what Immigration offices (USCIS, NVC or Consulate) does for one person because as soon as you say they won't do it, they do it.

Yeah but USCIS won’t do something out of written rules.

4 minutes ago, CSTSLP said:

OP, I stated to call the USCIS but it may be the NVC you really need to call...good luck to you and best wishes.

Calling NVC does not help in anyway. NVC is just a processing center of visa petitions forwarded by USCIS.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Timeline
1 minute ago, Unlockable said:

We know you are trying to help but what you are saying is not entirely true. 

First, she would have to PROVE that he abandoned his residency status and is NOT SIMPLY VISITING HIS FAMILY. Just because he is not here today does not mean he can't return tomorrow and continue his residency. A resident can stay out of the US for 6 months or more so for her to simply call and say he abandoned his residency would not merit anything unless there is substantial proof of fraud.

The green card is he and she has no control over it. He can continue being a resident of the US without her. We see it all the time.

There is nothing in what I said that is untrue.  I'm sorry.  I am not claiming to be an expert in this situation at all.  In fact, I have said, multiple times to call either the USCIS or NVC and ask them.  How is that Untrue exactly?  I'm not stating that what you all are saying is true or false but I am saying it is NOT OUR PLACE TO SAY IT as you could be giving wrong advice.

And do a google search on 2 year green cards, it states provisional, not permanent, everywhere.  It also states you have to show a bonified marriage at the end of the 2 years.  FYI, this was also told to me by our attorney.  Now could they still approve him, absolutely.  There is nothing set in stone when it comes to dealing with the government.   

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.