dciami

CR-1 Green card and SSN cancellation

59 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 minutes ago, arken said:

Yeah but USCIS won’t do something out of written rules.

Calling NVC does not help in anyway. NVC is just a processing center of visa petitions forwarded by USCIS.

In addition calling the consulate will be a dead end because they're done with the case

YMMV

I can't believe how people still are dismayed by the advised that is given. It's given by multiple people the same statements. Yet you have people coming from the blue trying to give some glimmer of a chance of it being different. 

Surprised the thread isn't closed yet. 

01/28/2019 - Mailed Express Mail USCIS Lockbox Phoenix

01/29/2019 - Received by Phoenix Lockbox
02/04/2019 - Receipt Notice Via Text Message assigned to Nebraska Service Center 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
8 minutes ago, CSTSLP said:

There is nothing in what I said that is untrue.  I'm sorry.  I am not claiming to be an expert in this situation at all.  In fact, I have said, multiple times to call either the USCIS or NVC and ask them.  How is that Untrue exactly?  I'm not stating that what you all are saying is true or false but I am saying it is NOT OUR PLACE TO SAY IT as you could be giving wrong advice.

And do a google search on 2 year green cards, it states provisional, not permanent, everywhere.  It also states you have to show a bonified marriage at the end of the 2 years.  FYI, this was also told to me by our attorney.  Now could they still approve him, absolutely.  There is nothing set in stone when it comes to dealing with the government.   

To save everyone the trouble...

In 2007 I married an English man and went through the whole immigration process once before in order to bring him to the US. We were married for 2 years before I brought him over, so he had the 10 year green card. We separated in 2014 and divorced in 2016. 

I DID call the USCIS and they made it very clear that there is nothing that I can do. The government does not want responsibility for him AND they will not take that responsibility. That's why they made me responsible for him. It's one of the risks of doing this. And it's why it's very important to read and understand everything you're getting yourself into. 

USCIS told me that if he had the 2 year, I may have had some luck there at the end of the 2 years. But even that was only a chance, because it's up to the person with the green card to prove that they have a reason to remain in the states. But, since he already had his IR, I was, in fact, legally & financially responsibly for him until the 10 years were up or he files for citizenship. And, there is nothing I can do about that. I also asked a lawyer if there was anything I could do, but it's a binding contract. 

The OP will be responsible for their spouse until the 2 years is up. And they have to hope that he can't go through AOS at the end of it. But they signed a legally binding contract. 

But, they should still notify USCIS. Why? Because you have to let USCIS know of your address as an immigrant in the US. and every time you move, you have to notify them. Since she's responsible for him, she should let USCIS know that his address changed, even if it is outside of the US.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
39 minutes ago, CSTSLP said:

OP, I stated to call the USCIS but it may be the NVC you really need to call...good luck to you and best wishes.

26 minutes ago, CSTSLP said:

There is nothing in what I said that is untrue.  I'm sorry.  I am not claiming to be an expert in this situation at all.  In fact, I have said, multiple times to call either the USCIS or NVC and ask them.  How is that Untrue exactly?  I'm not stating that what you all are saying is true or false but I am saying it is NOT OUR PLACE TO SAY IT as you could be giving wrong advice.

And do a google search on 2 year green cards, it states provisional, not permanent, everywhere.  It also states you have to show a bonified marriage at the end of the 2 years.  FYI, this was also told to me by our attorney.  Now could they still approve him, absolutely.  There is nothing set in stone when it comes to dealing with the government.   

Completely agreed with your wrong advice statement. Suggesting OP to call NVC is like sending a person to an airport duty free shopping when asked for direction to a shopping mall in a city.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

33 minutes ago, CSTSLP said:

I am saying it is NOT OUR PLACE TO SAY IT as you could be giving wrong advice.

No person is giving wrong advice. I even copied details off USCIS website showing what happens after a person signs an Affidavit of Support....you know, that legally binding document for sponsorship and such.

See Responsibilities of a Sponsor  https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/affidavit-support

33 minutes ago, CSTSLP said:

FYI, this was also told to me by our attorney

We have come across MANY attorneys who are not versed in Immigration law and try giving advice to persons who have retained them only to realize that info given was grossly inaccurate. 

I'll say this: We all have our own idea about how things SHOULD go but it does not always go the way we want it to go. It is unfortunate that the OP is stuck and on the hook for supporting the spouse but divorcing and moving on can give the OP peace of mind.

One thing that can work in OP's favor is if the spouse tries to fly back to the US and CBP officers at the airport intercept him for random inspection and start questioning him about his visit and where he lives in the US etc. If he gives his spouse's contact # to the CBP officer, they can call and then get OP's side of the story that they have separated and he left the country so he has no US address. Then questions will arise as to why he left etc and they could deem him inadmissible to the US based on his abandoning residency, etc.

If you have Netflix, take a look at the series Border Security - America's Front Line.....VERY interesting stuff! :) 

IR-1/CR-1
Spoiler

GOT MARRIED: 3-APR-2015 :wub:

HUSBAND FILED I-130: 29-MAY-2015

VISAS APPROVED: 15-JUN-2016

VISAS IN HAND; GREEN CARD FEES PAID: 21-JUN-2016

PORT OF ENTRY - FT. LAUDERDALE INTL AIRPORT: 06-AUG-2016
CONDITIONAL GREEN CARDS RECEIVED: 23-SEP-2016

I-751 FILER   
Spoiler
FILED REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS: 25-JUN-2018
FILE SENT TO NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER 11-MAY-2019
10-YR GREEN CARDS APPROVED 17-JUN-2019 
10-YR GREEN CARDS RECEIVED 21-JUN-2019 :dance: 

N-400 FILER
Spoiler
FILED CITIZENSHIP ONLINE; RECEIVED NOA1: 8-DEC-2019
BIOMETRICS WALK-IN: 18-DEC-2019
INTERVIEW SCHEDULED: 26-OCT-2020
APPROVED/SAME DAY OATH CEREMONY: 26-OCT-2020

US PASSPORT
APPLICATION APPOINTMENT AT USPS (ROUTINE): 16-SEP-2021
PASSPORT APPROVED: 30-SEP-2021
PASSPORT RECEIVED: 5-OCT-2021

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
58 minutes ago, CSTSLP said:

OP, I stated to call the USCIS but it may be the NVC you really need to call...good luck to you and best wishes.

Call them for what? You are clueless about how immigration works. In fact, this very second they are still married so what will USCIS or NVC do?

Timeline
51 minutes ago, CSTSLP said:

Conditional residency is still Legal Resident with a 2 year to remove condition.

Edited by nastra30

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Unlockable said:

Yes, there are things that are not true your previous statements. Here are a few...

Decision on what? They will not need to make a decision because a decision is already made. There is no sign of abandonment unless he does so himself.

The decision to say it's not their responsibility or that the OP is on the hook or whatever.  Look, you are being very technical with what you are trying to prove.  Good for you, but you miss the entire point of my comments.  I am not saying one way or another whose responsibility it is.  I contend that it's not our place to do so.

This is not true. A green card holder can surrender their green card. Here is the official steps..https://www.uscis.gov/i-407.

Another person (be it spouse or other relative) does not have the legal authority to cancel a person's green card when it has been approved and issued. What they can do is notify immigration of fraud. And fraud requires substantial evidence to back it up to have the green card revoking procedure to begin.

This is correct.

Okay so what, again you miss the point.

And this is where you went wrong. How do you know this? You claimed we are the ones speculating speculating in one of your replies but here you are speculating. How do you know he will not return next week? How do you know he will not be knocking on OP's door with flowers saying he made a mistake because the whole process intimated him and he was homesick? In two years you, nor any of us, will know where he would be.

You are correct, I am speculating.  But this is taken out of context.  And yes, he could return next week, year, whenever.  I was looking at the I864 and it states in the first paragraph I believe that as the sponsor, you may be held responsible for fees.  Notice the word may.  That's the government's way of getting out of things.

Not in this case.

She can call. But they will only tell her the same thing we are saying.

But lastly,

VisaJourney has a policy where we allow people to post advice and opinions. People know that the advice on here is not legal advice. But that does not mean the members can not give advice. VJ has a strict policy on insinuating or telling others not to post their opinions or advice as long as it is not derogatory or abusive. To say "It is not our place to say" is frankly bordering on limiting the opinions of others. The OP should take the advice on here as they would a stranger on the streets. But if there are no terms of service violations, people can still speak their opinions.

LOL.  I will say this, opinions are opinions but when you start acting like you are the absolute authority on an issue, I would say that's a problem.  You have not stated that you are an attorney or a representative of the US Government; yet your comments, respectfully sound like you are.  You've made no disclaimer to this.  If it's simply real life experience, then it should be labeled as such.   This shows it is simply an opinion based on your real life experience.  But again, I'm not disagree or agreeing.

I concede I don't know everything about this topic, but certainly I wouldn't take your advice as absolute.  When people talk in absolutes, it's dangerous.  That was what I was really trying to say is that the OP should make some phone calls.  Yes, I will agree that the outcome might not change, but if she doesn't try and relies solely on your advice, then it absolutely won't change.  Calling the USCIS costs her nothing and might give her some piece of mind knowing she's tried everything.  Not calling, well me, I would always wonder.

Have a good one.

Timeline
37 minutes ago, RCable said:

To save everyone the trouble...

In 2007 I married an English man and went through the whole immigration process once before in order to bring him to the US. We were married for 2 years before I brought him over, so he had the 10 year green card. We separated in 2014 and divorced in 2016. 

I DID call the USCIS and they made it very clear that there is nothing that I can do. The government does not want responsibility for him AND they will not take that responsibility. That's why they made me responsible for him. It's one of the risks of doing this. And it's why it's very important to read and understand everything you're getting yourself into. 

USCIS told me that if he had the 2 year, I may have had some luck there at the end of the 2 years. But even that was only a chance, because it's up to the person with the green card to prove that they have a reason to remain in the states. But, since he already had his IR, I was, in fact, legally & financially responsibly for him until the 10 years were up or he files for citizenship. And, there is nothing I can do about that. I also asked a lawyer if there was anything I could do, but it's a binding contract. 

The OP will be responsible for their spouse until the 2 years is up. And they have to hope that he can't go through AOS at the end of it. But they signed a legally binding contract. 

But, they should still notify USCIS. Why? Because you have to let USCIS know of your address as an immigrant in the US. and every time you move, you have to notify them. Since she's responsible for him, she should let USCIS know that his address changed, even if it is outside of the US.

That's up to the person him/herself to notify; not another person.

Edited by nastra30

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
19 minutes ago, nastra30 said:

Call them for what? You are clueless about how immigration works. In fact, this very second they are still married so what will USCIS or NVC do?

As I stated, many, many times, I am no expert.  But if you want to attack me for stating I'm not an expert, then go ahead if makes you feel like you are.  Calling the USCIS or NVC were suggestions by a non-expert.  Doing nothing as those of you have suggested, to me is not logical.  Have a good day. 

Maybe this thread needs to be locked since OP got their answer and members are now bickering about the legal ramifications of USCIS and personal opinions, experts and non-experts, lawyers and the like. :pop:

IR-1/CR-1
Spoiler

GOT MARRIED: 3-APR-2015 :wub:

HUSBAND FILED I-130: 29-MAY-2015

VISAS APPROVED: 15-JUN-2016

VISAS IN HAND; GREEN CARD FEES PAID: 21-JUN-2016

PORT OF ENTRY - FT. LAUDERDALE INTL AIRPORT: 06-AUG-2016
CONDITIONAL GREEN CARDS RECEIVED: 23-SEP-2016

I-751 FILER   
Spoiler
FILED REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS: 25-JUN-2018
FILE SENT TO NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER 11-MAY-2019
10-YR GREEN CARDS APPROVED 17-JUN-2019 
10-YR GREEN CARDS RECEIVED 21-JUN-2019 :dance: 

N-400 FILER
Spoiler
FILED CITIZENSHIP ONLINE; RECEIVED NOA1: 8-DEC-2019
BIOMETRICS WALK-IN: 18-DEC-2019
INTERVIEW SCHEDULED: 26-OCT-2020
APPROVED/SAME DAY OATH CEREMONY: 26-OCT-2020

US PASSPORT
APPLICATION APPOINTMENT AT USPS (ROUTINE): 16-SEP-2021
PASSPORT APPROVED: 30-SEP-2021
PASSPORT RECEIVED: 5-OCT-2021

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
15 hours ago, dciami said:

Hi all, 

I need some advice on how to deal with my situation. My husband got his CR-1 visa and entered the US last month. However,  he decided to go back to his home country and not coming back here anymore. His green card and his SS card haven't even arrived yet. What should I do as his sponsor if I want to cancel his green card?  Should I write to USCIS to inform them that he left the country? I'm really at lost. Thanks in advance. 

Well I realize one should "never say never" and I don't know your situation whatsoever, but if he went back to Indonesia I suspect he has no interest in returning here. His residency status here probably won't become an issue for you. It could be potentially more problematic if he left you but remained in the USA. 

Anyway, I'm sorry things didn't work out for you. 

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Effects of Major Family Changes, from Ir1/CR1 - As the OP's spouse has already entered the US (and Left). Thread also locked as argumentative posts have derail this thread. The OP has been given all the advice that can be given.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.