AnnaYT

Flying in the U.S. without AOS

51 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I’m sorry OP that you are taking peoples concern for judgment but this risk is not worth it to not apply for AOS. My suggestion is apply, then travel. 

N400 - Naturalization                                                                                                        U.S. Passport

Aug 05, 2018 (Day 1): Applied for Naturalization online                                                  Oct 01, 2019 (Day 1): Sent US Passport Application

Aug 06, 2018 (Day 2): Check Cashed, NOA1 received online                                         Oct 08, 2019 (Day 8 ) : Passport trackable 

Aug 11, 2018 (Day 6): Recvd notification that Biometrics appointment scheduled       Oct 17, 2019 (Day 17) : Received Passport

Aug 13, 2018 (Day 8): Received biometrics appt letter online                                        Oct 21, 2019 (Day 21) : Received Naturalization Cert. back

Aug 28, 2018 (Day 23): Biometrics Appt

May 06, 2019 (Day 274): In Line For Interview

Jun 11, 2019 (Day 311): Interview Date

July 01, 2019 (Day 327) : Oath Ceremony I AM NOW A US CITIZEN!!!!

FROM K-1 PETITION SENT TO OATH CEREMONY WAS ABOUT 7 YEARS 4 MONTHS

After 8 years of marriage divorced October 4, 2021

TO SEE MY FULL TIMELINE GO HERE: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/user/125109-cdnon-usavt/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
1 hour ago, junkmart said:

When did OP say that she was not willing to file and pay for AOS? She never mentioned her priorities, she just asked if she could travel.

Thank you good Sir! :) I just wanted an answer I have it so I'm gonna go ahead and file it asap.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, payxibka said:

Avoiding ROC?  But the reward doesn't outweigh the risk.

1 hour ago, missileman said:

OK.....good point......agree that the risk is too great......and all the other things that come along with being in limbo.....

Avoiding RoC isn’t a benefit though.  Sure you save $680 and an interview, but is that really such a horrible thing?

In my opinion RoC has been the least stressful/worrisome filing with USCIS.  Is it annoying?  Yes, especially with the exorbitant wait time to have it adjudicated, but people shouldn’t look at not having to file it as some sort of win against the system.

But yes, you’re both right that the risk to the immigrant spouse FAR outweighs the $$ or effort to assemble the package, and attend the interview :) 

6 hours ago, AnnaYT said:

Hello everybody,

I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I got married to an U.S. citizen using the K1 visa about a month ago and soon I want to fly from Atlanta to New York for a few days for vacation reasons and I'd like to know if I have to expect any difficulties since we hadn't filed for adjustment of status yet. Is it necessary to file in order to get on a domestic flight? 

Thanks in advance, 

Anna xx

I dont know why people keep scary others, i went to vacation to Las Vegas and no problem in domestic flight you dont go through inmigration.

A cousin of mine went to Puerto Rico without aos file and he was fine.

When you flight donestic cbp dont check you

K1 2017

Aos sent April 2018

Aos interview July 2018

Work permit September2018

Aos approved July 24, 2019.

Roc April 27, 2021

Biometric reused june 28, 2021

N-400 online April 27, 2022 base on 3 years rule, biometric reused.

N-400 interview on December 12, 2022 combo interview i-751. Approved.

January 11, 2023 oath ceremony, Indianapolis. After that done with uscis😂🤭🤫

I took my oath ceremony in Indianapolis, it was a nice ceremony, where people from 35 coutry become american citizen.

01/11/2023 officially done with uscis :)

🤣

January 13, 2023 apply for us passport.( regular service).

March 11, 2023 passport in hand

Whilst TSA cannot arrest you, I was advised by a TSA employee (who studied my passport and questioned my status on a VWP visit when we took a short flight across the state to see our niece’s new baby) that if they come across someone who appears to be out of status they have a duty, as government employees, to report this to the relevant people. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

1 hour ago, mytruelove18 said:

You ever flown out of El Paso, Tucson or San Diego where CBP is there and can ask for ID?

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

1 hour ago, JFH said:

Whilst TSA cannot arrest you, I was advised by a TSA employee (who studied my passport and questioned my status on a VWP visit when we took a short flight across the state to see our niece’s new baby) that if they come across someone who appears to be out of status they have a duty, as government employees, to report this to the relevant people. 

Problem is, a lot of people don't see it as a crime, even though without the NOA for the AOS you're illegal after the I-94 expires. So the concept of "if a government officer sees a crime taking place, they would do their due diligence and report it" goes over their heads.

It's a bad mindset that people need to get over.

Edited by Ash.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 hour ago, mytruelove18 said:

Does that mean there is no risk?  Absolutely not.........

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

4 hours ago, Paul & Mary said:

You ever flown out of El Paso, Tucson or San Diego where CBP is there and can ask for ID?

Good point. Border Patrol also has highway checkpoints: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Border_Patrol_interior_checkpoints#List_of_permanent_checkpoints

They sometimes show-up at Amtrak stations: https://www.thedailybeast.com/border-agents-make-amtrak-riders-prove-theyre-citizens

They sometimes show-up at Greyhound stations and also stop Greyhound buses on the highway: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/immigration/border-patrol-searches-have-increased-greyhound-other-buses-far-border-n1012596

Edited by HRQX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Lol we live in Los Angeles i wouldn’t even be comfortable to go to Santa Monica Beach (5 Miles Away) if i hadn’t filed AOS 😂😂😂

File that AOS asap... Things are now changing with immigration... 

Edited by kemm360
Citizenship
Event Date
Service Center : Online
CIS Office : Raleigh NC
Date Filed : 2020-10-03
NOA Date : 2020-10-03
Bio. Appt. :  
Interview Date :  
Approved :  
Oath Ceremony :  
Comments : INA 328 and 329 [ Military ] 

18 hours ago, AnnaYT said:

Hello everybody,

I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I got married to an U.S. citizen using the K1 visa about a month ago and soon I want to fly from Atlanta to New York for a few days for vacation reasons and I'd like to know if I have to expect any difficulties since we hadn't filed for adjustment of status yet. Is it necessary to file in order to get on a domestic flight? 

Thanks in advance, 

Anna xx

My wife and I flew to New York from Kansas City after my i-94 expired. We had sent our AOS though, so I took my AOS and EAD/AP receipt documents with me in case I was ever asked about my legal status. We were just fine and didn't need them, but you should take them if you travel by air. 

19 hours ago, arken said:

In a city that’s planning to issue Driver Licenses to illegals, at least getting stopped and detained should not be a worry in NYC but yeah, i too don’t recommend traveling without AOS receipt especially thru TSA checkpoints under current environment.

True, although that doesn't apply to federal officials. It wouldn't be the first time ICE did a check on a bus going in or out of the city.

Unlikely? Very, but not impossible.

16 hours ago, AnnaYT said:

I just wanted an answer

The answer is you are out of status and subject to detainment and deportation, so there is a risk at any time. Do what you need to do before worrying about a vacation.

Any public means of transportation is a higher risk (but not high risk in itself) as well.

14 hours ago, mytruelove18 said:

I dont know why people keep scary others, i went to vacation to Las Vegas and no problem in domestic flight you dont go through inmigration.

Assuming you were out of status at the time, then you took a risk and didn't get caught. Cool story. Others are not so lucky. There are people who didn't file for AOS for years and were perfectly fine. Then there are others who missed it by a couple weeks and ended up in jail for weeks.

TSA does not generally check status, but CBP can sometimes work alongside TSA. See the stickied thread on this matter:

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

My husband has been traveling (flying domestic) with me for the past 15 years undocumented.  His Mexican passport has always worked with no trouble.  NY and Miami mostly.  We just flew roundtrip O'Hare to Orlando a month ago. 

Edited by Clarebear101

27 minutes ago, Clarebear101 said:

My husband has been traveling (flying domestic) with me for the past 15 years undocumented.  His Mexican passport has always worked with no trouble.  NY and Miami mostly.  We just flew roundtrip O'Hare to Orlando a month ago. 

He was lucky. I hope his documentation is on its way now. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.