jko2332

Too married for a K1 (split)

36 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello, My husband was recently denied his k1 visa because public information ie blogs were calling us husband and wife. The embassy now said we are too married and that we should have applied for a Cr/Ir1 ( we had no clue).  I am having a baby soon and i cant wait for the letter from the US embassy... I need him to come in the country to be with me... If I call uscis to close the case will it effect him getting a  b1 visa? 

Edited by jko2332

7 minutes ago, jko2332 said:

Hello, My husband was recently denied his k1 visa because public information ie blogs were calling us husband and wife. The embassy now said we are too married and that we should have applied for a Cr/Ir1 ( we had no clue).  I am having a baby soon and i cant wait for the letter from the US embassy... I need him to come in the country to be with me... If I call uscis to close the case will it effect him getting a  b1 visa? 

Did you submit this evidence as part of your petition? 

8 minutes ago, jko2332 said:

He can apply for a visitor visa (B-1 for business, B-2 for tourist). He will be issued the visa or not based on the merits of his case.

With both a recent attempt to obtain a visa for for intending immigrants + a US citizen fiance, the chances are very strong he will be denied. Given the refusal rate for Nigeria on B visas is incredibly high, that makes it nearly impossible IMO. Sorry.

If/When you close the case won't impact that decision.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline

No i did not submit this evidence....my husband is a public figure in Nigeria so it was plastered everywhere that we are married even though legally we are not...they investigated us.  I think it wont hurt to do the B1/B2 just to try because regardless he still has strong ties to Nigeria and will come back.  

Timeline
1 minute ago, Pitaya (火龙果) said:

Interesting case and intro in your posting. You are calling him "my husband" and you were recently denied a K1 fiancee visa at the visa interview at the embassy/consulate? I think I can understand why you were denied a fiancee visa. It does sound like the CO acted in a proper manner. Since he has already expressed immigration intent through the filing of the K1 visa, it is highly unlikely that he would be granted a B1/B2 visa (business/visitor, respectively), due to the recent K1 denial, and also because Nigeria is such a high-fraud country and has an accompanying high B2 visa refusal rate....Sorry. It is likely far easier from an immigration standpoint for you to visit him.

You may want to consider starting the CR1 spousal visa process.

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Thanks. Its also a habit to call him my husband bc in my country after he pays the bride price....that's what he is..my husband but in the interview he referred to me as his fiance. Either or we will try and make the best decision going forward funny thing is we did all our traditional stuff after we applied so...yea. Thanks for everyone's input!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
30 minutes ago, jko2332 said:

Thanks. Its also a habit to call him my husband bc in my country after he pays the bride price....that's what he is..my husband 

The damning evidence.  On the surface it appears they got it correct 

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Post and related replies split off to its own thread. Please do not post questions for your case in other members threads.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

You should definitely consult an attorney beforehand, because there is a 90 days rule which says that you have to wait 90 days between applications with different intents.

If you submit a petition for a B-1/B-2 in less than 90 days from your K-1 visa denial, it might be viewed as misrepresentation of your intent. 

That’s not true. Highly unlikely he’ll get a tourist visa but nothing preventing him from applying. 

Just now, Gomast said:

You should definitely consult an attorney beforehand, because there is a 90 days rule which says that you have to wait 90 days between applications with different intents.

If you submit a petition for a B-1/B-2 in less than 90 days from your K-1 visa denial, it might be viewed as misrepresentation of your intent. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
54 minutes ago, jko2332 said:

Thanks. Its also a habit to call him my husband bc in my country after he pays the bride price....that's what he is..my husband but in the interview he referred to me as his fiance. Either or we will try and make the best decision going forward funny thing is we did all our traditional stuff after we applied so...yea. Thanks for everyone's input!

I think your choices and decisions are pretty limited.....legally marry and start CR-1 procedures.......He will almost certainly be denied a B2 for immigrant intent.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Gomast said:

If you submit a petition for a B-1/B-2 in less than 90 days from your K-1 visa denial, it might be viewed as misrepresentation of your intent

This has nothing to do with the 90day rule as he is only coming to visit and leave until he has the proper papers filed, but regardless we got great advice from our lawyer. Thanks! 

Timeline
1 hour ago, NicoleM said:

So you are the US citizen? In your country (which should be the USA?), people don't call each other husband and wife until they are married.

What is the bride's price? Like a dowry?? This is also not an American thing..

Any kind of 'wedding celebration' (legal or not) makes you too married for the k1.

Again we did not call each other husband and wife but society did because of his status, I just did today because that is what we were told we are per the interviewer. 

In my CULTURE we have to do many marriage rights before we are legally married. We had no clue paying dowry and having a party would constitute as marriage. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.