jko2332

Too married for a K1 (split)

36 posts in this topic

Chances are you are going to have to go to Nigeria or another country(if you and him both can) marry him there, and then go for a spousal visa

Edited by Ash.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
4 hours ago, jko2332 said:

Hello, My husband was recently denied his k1 visa because public information ie blogs were calling us husband and wife. The embassy now said we are too married and that we should have applied for a Cr/Ir1 ( we had no clue).  I am having a baby soon and i cant wait for the letter from the US embassy... I need him to come in the country to be with me... If I call uscis to close the case will it effect him getting a  b1 visa? 

So sorry to hear this. This also goes to show how DHS is reviewing social networks and internet searching for what they consider high-fraud countries. Nigeria being one of them. I hope you can get this resolved. 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

10685284_10203853223303551_1747007237_n.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, jko2332 said:

Again we did not call each other husband and wife but society did because of his status, I just did today because that is what we were told we are per the interviewer. 

In my CULTURE we have to do many marriage rights before we are legally married. We had no clue paying dowry and having a party would constitute as marriage. 

Research before you filed would have helped clarify that both American and the beneficiaries home countries cultures are considered.

There are countless stories on here of people like yourself who fulfilled their cultural norms without having a legally recognized marriage to discover in the eyes of US immigration it disqualified you from a fiancé visa.

Terrible on all fronts, especially since you’re expecting.  If you cannot fly there and he isn’t approved for a visitor visa, perhaps a neutral 3rd country for a legal

ceremony so that you can begin the spousal visa process.  

Best of luck!

8 minutes ago, Shiran said:

white anglo saxon protestant culture

Even within that, I know multiple people who referred to their girlfriends as "wifey".

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
5 hours ago, jko2332 said:

Hello, My husband was recently denied his k1 visa because public information ie blogs were calling us husband and wife. The embassy now said we are too married and that we should have applied for a Cr/Ir1 ( we had no clue).  I am having a baby soon and i cant wait for the letter from the US embassy... I need him to come in the country to be with me... If I call uscis to close the case will it effect him getting a  b1 visa? 

Happens a lot in  Nigeria

you dont' need to wait for any letter from the embassy /there will not be a letter

AFter the baby is born,  travel to Nigeria and marry and do the CR1

no other way for you to get him here now

serach thruout the portal for Nigeria and see the posts on this subject / there are many of them

exchanging dowery is done for a marriage

wedding dresses are worn for a marriage celebration

you may able to get a legal marriage certificate with the above evidence to this you already have 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
4 hours ago, jko2332 said:

Being refused a B2 is not an obvious pre qualification for a B2, so make sure you have a plan B.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
6 hours ago, Pitaya (火龙果) said:

Interesting case and intro in your posting. You are calling him "my husband" and you were recently denied a K1 fiancee visa at the visa interview at the embassy/consulate? I think I can understand why you were denied a fiancee visa. It does sound like the CO acted in a proper manner. Since he has already expressed immigration intent through the filing of the K1 visa, it is highly unlikely that he would be granted a B1/B2 visa (business/visitor, respectively), due to the recent K1 denial, and also because Nigeria is such a high-fraud country and has an accompanying high B2 visa refusal rate....Sorry. It is likely far easier from an immigration standpoint for you to visit him.

You may want to consider starting the CR1 spousal visa process.

Good luck on your immigration journey.

100% right. Sounds like you guys are already married by this post alone. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, what is it?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
3 hours ago, SJordanS said:

So sorry to hear this. This also goes to show how DHS is reviewing social networks and internet searching for what they consider high-fraud countries. Nigeria being one of them. I hope you can get this resolved. 

Yes. She stated to him “I googled you guys and saw the multiple new stories and blogs about you guys...you are too married and need to file for a CR1. You filed for the wrong petition” 

So yes they are using social media to look you up. It is what it is we will refile and go from there. 

2 hours ago, Unlockable said:

Timeline
4 minutes ago, jko2332 said:

Yes. She stated to him “I googled you guys and saw the multiple new stories and blogs about you guys...you are too married and need to file for a CR1. You filed for the wrong petition” 

So yes they are using social media to look you up. It is what it is we will refile and go from there. 

They do this with most high fraud countries unfortunately. They will do it now even more so with the law that enacted. Wishing you both the best of luck. CR1 isnt so bad. Its moving faster now so chances are you will get re-approved before you know it. 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
4 hours ago, geowrian said:

Just to clarify...

They would not find that you are married (unless there is evidence of a legal marriage under that country's laws). They would find that you did not satisfactorily demonstrate being free to marry as required for a K-1 visa.

They googled us and our traditional engagement was posted so this is another non factual response from you again. Smh

Timeline
9 minutes ago, jko2332 said:

They googled us and our traditional engagement was posted so this is another non factual response from you again. Smh

Oh ok. traditional engagement ceremony pics were posted somewhere? They warn about this here in VJ. They do that all the time for India and Pakistan. Same denial reason with ceremony pics.  The people here on VJ put the fear of God in me because I submitted church engagement ceremony photos and set me up to believe they would deny. They did not deny. But I truly believe its country specific. Was it just those photos? If I can ask, if your husband also a public figure?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.