Celie

Tips on How to Ease the Transition

56 posts in this topic

Shoot I felt like this and my husband didn’t have much cultural difference. But he had a great job that he had a great chance at growth and success, not to mention close family. 

it took a loooong time (year+) for me to stop feeling like he threw his life away. (It was hard for me to believe that he made the right choice and left a successful life with a future successful career and ultimately a path people would be envious of, to choose to move and get a semi-crappy but well paying, marry someone 6 years older, 60 pounds heavier, and with a special needs child to boot)

Edited by Ash.1101

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: Timeline
4 hours ago, celie&joseph said:

I completely agree!!! I've told him he looks amazing with a clean cut barely-there beard, but trust me when I say God himself would have to come down from the skies and do a personal shave on him for him to take that off lol 😴😭

Oh, I think YOU have the power to get him to shave...let him suffer just a bit of "deprivation," if you get what I mean, until the beard is gone---that should do it 😉

1 hour ago, Zoeeeeeee said:

I stayed in LA for six months in 2019, which is how me and my fiancé met. Appreciate that staying somewhere for six months and moving somewhere permanently are very different things - however, after around five months, I did start to really miss home, which surprised me...

The main thing that got to me was that those cultural norms were missing...like, there are certain references in England that you can make and everyone immediately understands what you’re talking about - references to certain TV shows (we have some programmes that have been on TV for 30 years - there is no one that hasn’t watched them at least once) or certain celebrities or icons or just things...but I would reference one of these things without thinking and would be met by a blank stare from everyone...or a friend would reference something in the same way, but an American version...everyone in the room gets it and I’m just confused...

It’s not a super big deal...but sometimes, you just wish someone would understand what it means when you describe someone as looking like a Mitchell brother...

However! What really helps with that is finding someone or even several someone’s who come from your country, who you can hang out with occasionally and who get you - fortunately I made a couple of English friends out there - I don’t need to see them all the time, but it’s great to know if I need to hear a English accent, just occasionally, I know where I can go to find one.

My fiancé also took me to celebrate British New Year - it was done at 4pm, as California is 8 hours behind the UK - and it was hosted in a British themed pub, with pictures of Only Fools and Horses and On The Buses on the walls (again, anyone not from the UK will have no idea what I’m rambling on about here) - basically, it was the kind of pub I definitely wouldn’t actually visit whilst in England...but in LA, filled with British people celebrating New Years, it was like a little chunk of home 🙃.

When my wife came here to the USA imwe loved out to LA and it was easier for her to adjust being there. That is because she is Filipino which we lived in Eagle Rock at the time and there are alot of Filipinos around there. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
9 hours ago, celie&joseph said:

God himself would have to come down from the skies and do a personal shave on him for him to take that off lol 😴😭

Easier to officially change your name to Delilah.

10 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

1.  MAGA cap

2.  T-shirt that says "Relax, Gringo -- I'm Legal!"

They actually do make those T-shirts.  Look online.

3.  Cover pink mohawk/purple mohawk/Seagal ponytail with MAGA cap

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

In addition to the humorous yet still-solid recommendations of above, I also recommend the following.

Take him somewhere (on a walk, to a store, on a drive).  After a while, ask him what stands out/what's different.

Let him explain why the item/scene/action/event grabbed his attention.

Discuss it.  This enables better understanding for both of you.

It also reduces the overwhelming nature of a new culture into manageable pieces (eat the elephant a bite at a time).

The above is a very good "togetherness" activity, too.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Other Timeline
6 hours ago, Becci391 said:

I moved from Germany to the US so there was not a huge cultural transition but there were a few things that I had to get used to. Especially here in the South.

There  might and will be some things that he has to get used to and accept that might be uncommon in his culture.

That might be the hardest part.

Yes, that's definitely true, especially because he comes from a place where everything is so black and white. Learning to adapt to the gray area that is America is gonna take some getting used to.

6 hours ago, Going through said:

Visiting is much much different than living in the USA.  Also remember that everything you take for granted right now is going to be completely foreign to him (no pun intended)...simple things like how to pay on public transit, mailing something from the post office, where to get a great cup of coffee, brand names in grocery stores, etc. is completely different for him now.  So just be patient as you can, and try to start out exploring his new surroundings with him (if you can take some time off work when he arrives).

When he gets homesick (and he will), consider taking him out to a great Lebanese restaurant to give him a little bit of familiarity and to celebrate his own culture---familiar food can be very comforting.

Thank you for this! I am taking all my vacation days when he arrives then some in September to visit my Dad in California and I'm trying to make plans for the weekends so he never feels like he's stuck without anything to do.

6 hours ago, Ash.1101 said:

Shoot I felt like this and my husband didn’t have much cultural difference. But he had a great job that he had a great chance at growth and success, not to mention close family. 

it took a loooong time (year+) for me to stop feeling like he threw his life away. (It was hard for me to believe that he made the right choice and left a successful life with a future successful career and ultimately a path people would be envious of, to choose to move and get a semi-crappy but well paying, marry someone 6 years older, 60 pounds heavier, and with a special needs child to boot)

I can so relate with this. Even know he messages me how hard it will be to say bye to the 10 people accompanying him to the airport and it breaks my heart. He also just graduated with an accounting degree that will take a lot of extra work to put to use here so it's like he worked those 4 years of school for nothing. The self guilt trips are real.

4 hours ago, Loren Y said:

Best thing is to not let him sit around, definitely do things. My wife has just passed the 5 month mark of moving here, and she has been adjusting well. The first walmart trip is the best. Any grocery trip is amazingly fun. My wife couldn't believe how everything was done for you here. She picked up some sliced mushrooms one time and said why are they sliced? I said because we are lazy here in the US and it makes things easier. She was like I'm not lazy, so I will buy the cheaper whole mushrooms and slice them myself. There are so many things she sees still now and is blown away. Still, the best part is at least once a week she says something about this or that that is so funny I laugh about it for hours( Seriously), you will see. But I got her in English school, and another tech school to keep her busy, and she has so many friends now that have also moved here from Thailand that she is really enjoying things now. It was a little tough at first, but I took her to some of the Thai temples around town ( We got married in one, and that made her so happy to have a traditional Thai wedding, and it was really cheap as a bonus). Talking to Thai's that have been here 10,20,30 years has helped more than anything. Finding out where to buy the stuff she needs to cook original Thai food from home really helped her out. It is a ton of little things that will go a long way. I took me weeks to convince her to use the dishwasher, she just couldn't fathom a machine to wash dishes in your house, the same with the washer and drier for clothes. I taught her to use the bus system, and that bus pass really gives her some freedom to not be tied down at home, she goes to school on her own in the mornings, and just loves the city bus ( Another thing I won't understand). She still has days when she misses home, and I would too I'm sure, but you just be as supportive as you can, and it seems the things you can do to make her feel at home are the best. Just this week I put up a flagpole in the front yard with the US flag and her Thai flag on the pole. She was so happy when she came home from school and saw her Thai flag flapping in the wind in front of the house, it just made her so happy. I put a little prayer/ worship shelf on the wall like she had at home, and she has her Buddha statue, and other things just like home. She get flowers from the rose bushes and puts them on the shelf, and all sorts of things. It is a serious change, and there will be thousand of things you will be questioned about, and have to try and explain, but I think that is what makes it fun for both of us.

Haha love the mushroom story. Its gonna be so interesting to see what calls out to him here. I live in a predominantly Hispanic city and hes gonna have culture shock twice over.

4 hours ago, Zoeeeeeee said:

I stayed in LA for six months in 2019, which is how me and my fiancé met. Appreciate that staying somewhere for six months and moving somewhere permanently are very different things - however, after around five months, I did start to really miss home, which surprised me...

The main thing that got to me was that those cultural norms were missing...like, there are certain references in England that you can make and everyone immediately understands what you’re talking about - references to certain TV shows (we have some programmes that have been on TV for 30 years - there is no one that hasn’t watched them at least once) or certain celebrities or icons or just things...but I would reference one of these things without thinking and would be met by a blank stare from everyone...or a friend would reference something in the same way, but an American version...everyone in the room gets it and I’m just confused...

It’s not a super big deal...but sometimes, you just wish someone would understand what it means when you describe someone as looking like a Mitchell brother...

However! What really helps with that is finding someone or even several someone’s who come from your country, who you can hang out with occasionally and who get you - fortunately I made a couple of English friends out there - I don’t need to see them all the time, but it’s great to know if I need to hear a English accent, just occasionally, I know where I can go to find one.

My fiancé also took me to celebrate British New Year - it was done at 4pm, as California is 8 hours behind the UK - and it was hosted in a British themed pub, with pictures of Only Fools and Horses and On The Buses on the walls (again, anyone not from the UK will have no idea what I’m rambling on about here) - basically, it was the kind of pub I definitely wouldn’t actually visit whilst in England...but in LA, filled with British people celebrating New Years, it was like a little chunk of home 🙃.

Such good tips! I've found some international stores and restaurants to go to and I hope he enjoys them. We do have a lot of cultural diversity here, it's just a bit hard to find the Lebanese in the lot I think. Lol

K1 Fiance Visa: 207 days & AOS w/EAD and AP: 180 days

Spoiler

K1 Fiance Visa: 207 days                                                                                                                               AOS from K1 w/EAD and AP: 180 days

09/12/18: NOA1 old site (9/17 new site)                                                                                                     05/22/19: AOS package mailed to Chicago, IL

01/28/19: NOA2 new site (old site never changed)                                                                                   05/24/19: USCIS Received date for AOS/EAD/AP

02/19/19: NVC Received                                                                                                                                05/29/19: Notice date for AOS/EAD/AP

02/20/19: Case Number Assigned                                                                                                               06/19/19: Biometrics Appointment

04/05/19: Interview - APPROVED!                                                                                                                06/14/19: Biometrics Completed - walk in

04/08/19: CEAC-NIV Application Received                                                                                                 08/06/19: Ready to be Scheduled for Interview Status

04/09/19: CEAC-NIV Administrative Processing                                                                                       10/11/19: Interview Scheduled status

04/10/19: CEAC- Issued                                                                                                                                 11/05/19: EAD/AP approved

04/12/19: Visa in hand                                                                                                                                   11/16/19: EAD/AP card Received

04/30-5/1/19: POE via IAH - Houston, TX                                                                                                   11/18/19: AOS Interview - APPROVED! same day status change to Approved, then New Card being Produced

05/10/19: I Do's!                                                                                                                                               11/25/19: Green Card in Hand

ROC:                                                                                                                                                                  

08/20/21: Filed ROC

08/23/21: USCIS received package

08/25/21: Text received/Case # assigned

08/26/22: Case transferred to NBC for "speedy processing"

Citizenship:

08/22/22: Filed N-400 online

08/22/22: NOA1/Biometrics Reused                                                                                                           

Filed: Other Timeline
5 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

In addition to the humorous yet still-solid recommendations of above, I also recommend the following.

Take him somewhere (on a walk, to a store, on a drive).  After a while, ask him what stands out/what's different.

Let him explain why the item/scene/action/event grabbed his attention.

Discuss it.  This enables better understanding for both of you.

It also reduces the overwhelming nature of a new culture into manageable pieces (eat the elephant a bite at a time).

The above is a very good "togetherness" activity, too.

Very good point! Thank you for that. Sometimes in trying to process our own feelings we forget how important communication is.

10 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

Easier to officially change your name to Delilah.

They actually do make those T-shirts.  Look online.

3.  Cover pink mohawk/purple mohawk/Seagal ponytail with MAGA cap

Hahahhaha I thankfully deterred him from the ponytail idea. I'm still working on the beard lol

Yes!!!! I was looking at them online...they're great! I also found one that said "I'm not a terrorist" in Arabic hahahah that might be more up his alley lol

Edited by celie&joseph

K1 Fiance Visa: 207 days & AOS w/EAD and AP: 180 days

Spoiler

K1 Fiance Visa: 207 days                                                                                                                               AOS from K1 w/EAD and AP: 180 days

09/12/18: NOA1 old site (9/17 new site)                                                                                                     05/22/19: AOS package mailed to Chicago, IL

01/28/19: NOA2 new site (old site never changed)                                                                                   05/24/19: USCIS Received date for AOS/EAD/AP

02/19/19: NVC Received                                                                                                                                05/29/19: Notice date for AOS/EAD/AP

02/20/19: Case Number Assigned                                                                                                               06/19/19: Biometrics Appointment

04/05/19: Interview - APPROVED!                                                                                                                06/14/19: Biometrics Completed - walk in

04/08/19: CEAC-NIV Application Received                                                                                                 08/06/19: Ready to be Scheduled for Interview Status

04/09/19: CEAC-NIV Administrative Processing                                                                                       10/11/19: Interview Scheduled status

04/10/19: CEAC- Issued                                                                                                                                 11/05/19: EAD/AP approved

04/12/19: Visa in hand                                                                                                                                   11/16/19: EAD/AP card Received

04/30-5/1/19: POE via IAH - Houston, TX                                                                                                   11/18/19: AOS Interview - APPROVED! same day status change to Approved, then New Card being Produced

05/10/19: I Do's!                                                                                                                                               11/25/19: Green Card in Hand

ROC:                                                                                                                                                                  

08/20/21: Filed ROC

08/23/21: USCIS received package

08/25/21: Text received/Case # assigned

08/26/22: Case transferred to NBC for "speedy processing"

Citizenship:

08/22/22: Filed N-400 online

08/22/22: NOA1/Biometrics Reused                                                                                                           

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Serbia
Timeline
11 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

1.  MAGA cap

2.  T-shirt that says "Relax, Gringo -- I'm Legal!"

Haha I'm getting that shirt as soon as I land, I'll fit right in! 😂😂😂

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I know when my then fiancé came over, I knew it would be a big difference for her.  First and foremost, I made sure she had a way to communicate back with her family as she is very close to them as well, so a phone was the first stop.  I also made sure I had three weeks vacation so I had time to help her adjust.  I also made sure I also dealt with the little things like referring to the house as our house, or our car so she would feel at home instead of just a visitor.  When I went back to work, we talked and we decided to get a dog so she did not feel so alone when I was in the office.  I also made sure she got to meet all the family here before the wedding.  Additionally, as others have said, I encouraged her to meet friends from Russia, and she now has some very close friends that are nearby.

To me, it is the little things that count the most.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

10 hours ago, Zoeeeeeee said:

Ok, I put the wrong year there! 😆

That should have said that I stayed in LA for 6 months in 2017...we’re not 5 months into 2019 and I’m not a time traveler! 😆

9 hours ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

When my wife came here to the USA imwe loved out to LA and it was easier for her to adjust being there. That is because she is Filipino which we lived in Eagle Rock at the time and there are alot of Filipinos around there. 

Yeah, LA is incredible for it’s little pockets of communities - I love Little Tokyo (for the restaurants and the environment) and Thai Town (for the supermarkets containing all the ingredients that you’ll never find in Ralph’s)...

My fiancé is American born, but of Filipino origin - and there’s a certain restaurant in Eagle Rock (can’t for the life of me remember what it’s called!) that he’s taken me too, because they make pancit and lumpia just like his mum makes it 😍😆. It sure is a small world!

6 hours ago, celie&joseph said:

Very good point! Thank you for that. Sometimes in trying to process our own feelings we forget how important communication is.

Hahahhaha I thankfully deterred him from the ponytail idea. I'm still working on the beard lol

Yes!!!! I was looking at them online...they're great! I also found one that said "I'm not a terrorist" in Arabic hahahah that might be more up his alley lol

Ha! That reminds me a little of my friend Kamran, who is Muslim and of Pakistani heritage, though born and lives in England.

After 7/7 (train bombings here), he said that he couldn’t carry a backpack on public transport without everyone watching him suspiciously...he ended up getting a patch made, that he sewed to his bag, saying: “Stop staring. My gym kit’s in here.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.