Celie

Tips on How to Ease the Transition

56 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi y'all,

My fiance is coming here in 4 days and even though I am very happy (very very much!) I also get these weird guilt spells when I know how much he's leaving behind. His family is SUPER close and all his relatives visit weekly and he has a good solid foundation. When he comes here, he will have me, my mom (who doesn't speak English) and sister. I know rationally this was his choice because he loves me and he wants us to be together and life in Lebanon for us would be hard, but I can't shake this feeling.

Anyway, so for those who have come to the US from a completely different cultural region, what suggestions do you have that might make it easier for him to adjust? We will be attending mass weekly at the Maronite church (which I hoped would be a slice of home to him) but even then he's already seen the stark differences in culture (like allowing a gambling event for fundraising purposes on church grounds).

What can I do to make this transition a bit easier on him?

Edited by celie&joseph

K1 Fiance Visa: 207 days & AOS w/EAD and AP: 180 days

Spoiler

K1 Fiance Visa: 207 days                                                                                                                               AOS from K1 w/EAD and AP: 180 days

09/12/18: NOA1 old site (9/17 new site)                                                                                                     05/22/19: AOS package mailed to Chicago, IL

01/28/19: NOA2 new site (old site never changed)                                                                                   05/24/19: USCIS Received date for AOS/EAD/AP

02/19/19: NVC Received                                                                                                                                05/29/19: Notice date for AOS/EAD/AP

02/20/19: Case Number Assigned                                                                                                               06/19/19: Biometrics Appointment

04/05/19: Interview - APPROVED!                                                                                                                06/14/19: Biometrics Completed - walk in

04/08/19: CEAC-NIV Application Received                                                                                                 08/06/19: Ready to be Scheduled for Interview Status

04/09/19: CEAC-NIV Administrative Processing                                                                                       10/11/19: Interview Scheduled status

04/10/19: CEAC- Issued                                                                                                                                 11/05/19: EAD/AP approved

04/12/19: Visa in hand                                                                                                                                   11/16/19: EAD/AP card Received

04/30-5/1/19: POE via IAH - Houston, TX                                                                                                   11/18/19: AOS Interview - APPROVED! same day status change to Approved, then New Card being Produced

05/10/19: I Do's!                                                                                                                                               11/25/19: Green Card in Hand

ROC:                                                                                                                                                                  

08/20/21: Filed ROC

08/23/21: USCIS received package

08/25/21: Text received/Case # assigned

08/26/22: Case transferred to NBC for "speedy processing"

Citizenship:

08/22/22: Filed N-400 online

08/22/22: NOA1/Biometrics Reused                                                                                                           

12 minutes ago, celie&joseph said:

Hi y'all,

My fiance is coming here in 4 days and even though I am very happy (very very much!) I also get these weird guilt spells when I know how much he's leaving behind. His family is SUPER close and all his relatives visit weekly and he has a good solid foundation. When he comes here, he will have me, my mom (who doesn't speak English) and sister. I know rationally this was his choice because he loves me and he wants us to be together and life in Lebanon for us would be hard, but I can't shake this feeling.

Anyway, so for those who have come to the US from a completely different cultural region, what suggestions do you have that might make it easier for him to adjust? We will be attending mass weekly at the Maronite church (which I hoped would be a slice of home to him) but even then he's already seen the stark differences in culture (like allowing a gambling event for fundraising purposes on church grounds).

What can I do to make this transition a bit easier on him?

Congratulations!  YAY!  I am in the same situation.  My fiance will be moving here.  Fortunately, my parents, family, and friends do speak the same language as he does, so that would give him more people.  But, as a person that also moved to the U.S., leaving another life behind, I can tell you that exploring is going to be a big one!  Try to find him hobbies that you both like and those that he likes to do alone.  Most cities nowadays have a bunch of local activities for different hobbies and interests.  This will help him get settled and meet new people outside of your own relationship, especially if you need to work.  Also, when you do spend time together, try to take him through your city as if you both are new to it.  So, things that would be ordinary to you (a local park, best bakery, etc.) should become "new" again through his eyes.  I hope that makes sense! :) 

Edited by Fe.Ta
Misspelling

Walt Disney Animation GIF

November 2010 - Met/Just Friends

June 2017 - I caught feelings, you want to try this?  Yes.
June 2018 - Do you want to get married?  Yes.
November 2018 - K1 filed

May 2019 - K1 interview scheduled and packet sent to embassy

June 2019 - K1 interview, approved, and moved to USA

August 2019 - Married

September 2019 - AOS/EAD/AP filed

October 2019 - Biometrics Appointment

January 2020 - AOS RFE for birth certificate received and sent back

February 2020 - EAD/AP approved and got the card

October 2020 - EAD/AP renewal filed

November 2020 - EAD/AP renewal approved and got the card - AOS interview date issued

December 2020 - AOS interview, approved, and GC received

September 2022 - ROC filed

2 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

You are well on the way and definitely seeing things from his perspective. 

Now multiply the degree of difficulty that you have thought iof by 3,5,10.... it comes in waves , often for no apparent reason, does not mean that he regrets what he has done ... it just means he has left behind a lot and it is hard !!

An understanding and compassionate heart goes a long way. Often   there is nothing you can do but be present for him and let him know you are ok with him struggling .. it’s not about you .., it will lessen and soften with time .. there will always be harder times and days even years after immigrating .. but for us immigrants it’s a slow choice to lay down things that are precious to us and choose to make room for different things. Be patient  You’ll get there and so will he. 

Thank you! I'm afraid you're right. The ultimate key is time. I just hope I can offer him things to look forward to here to make the pain bearable. I so admire the sacrifice y'all do to be with the one you love. Truly, it takes a special and strong person.

Spoiler

K1 Fiance Visa: 207 days                                                                                                                               AOS from K1 w/EAD and AP: 180 days

09/12/18: NOA1 old site (9/17 new site)                                                                                                     05/22/19: AOS package mailed to Chicago, IL

01/28/19: NOA2 new site (old site never changed)                                                                                   05/24/19: USCIS Received date for AOS/EAD/AP

02/19/19: NVC Received                                                                                                                                05/29/19: Notice date for AOS/EAD/AP

02/20/19: Case Number Assigned                                                                                                               06/19/19: Biometrics Appointment

04/05/19: Interview - APPROVED!                                                                                                                06/14/19: Biometrics Completed - walk in

04/08/19: CEAC-NIV Application Received                                                                                                 08/06/19: Ready to be Scheduled for Interview Status

04/09/19: CEAC-NIV Administrative Processing                                                                                       10/11/19: Interview Scheduled status

04/10/19: CEAC- Issued                                                                                                                                 11/05/19: EAD/AP approved

04/12/19: Visa in hand                                                                                                                                   11/16/19: EAD/AP card Received

04/30-5/1/19: POE via IAH - Houston, TX                                                                                                   11/18/19: AOS Interview - APPROVED! same day status change to Approved, then New Card being Produced

05/10/19: I Do's!                                                                                                                                               11/25/19: Green Card in Hand

ROC:                                                                                                                                                                  

Citizenship:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
1 minute ago, celie&joseph said:

Thank you! I'm afraid you're right. The ultimate key is time. I just hope I can offer him things to look forward to here to make the pain bearable. I so admire the sacrifice y'all do to be with the one you love. Truly, it takes a special and strong person.

Keep telling him that !  It’s not so much about making the pain bearable .. it’s about it being  the worth going through the pain. Two different things. 😁

Edited by Lil bear

5 minutes ago, Fe.Ta said:

Congratulations!  YAY!  I am in the same situation.  My fiance will be moving here.  Fortunately, my parents, family, and friends do speak the same language as he does, so that would give him more people.  But, as a person that also moved to the U.S., leaving another life behind, I can tell you that exploring is going to be a big one!  Try to find him hobbies that you both like and those that he likes to do alone.  Most cities nowadays have a bunch of local activities for different hobbies and interests.  This will help him get settled and meet new people outside of your our relationship, especially if you need to work.  Also, when you do spend time together, try to take him through your city as if you both are new to it.  So, things that would be ordinary to you (a local park, best bakery, etc.) should become "new" again through his eyes.  I hope that makes sense! :) 

That is so true. I am equally excited to visit the usual places with him like Walmart or the Dollar Store... Omg the Dollar store lol he is obsessed with it already! He can't believe EVERYTHING is a dollar there. like everything??? Yes lol everything. And he really likes the idea of the "movie vending  machines" (Redbox lol)

I really hope we meet other lebanese people in the area or arab in general that he can speak to in his native language and hang out with while I'm at work!

Spoiler

ROC:                                                                                                                                                                  

Citizenship:

1 minute ago, celie&joseph said:

That is so true. I am equally excited to visit the usual places with him like Walmart or the Dollar Store... Omg the Dollar store lol he is obsessed with it already! He can't believe EVERYTHING is a dollar there. like everything??? Yes lol everything. And he really likes the idea of the "movie vending  machines" (Redbox lol)

I really hope we meet other lebanese people in the area or arab in general that he can speak to in his native language and hang out with while I'm at work!

Ha!  My fiance is the same (no idea why, maybe we take it for granted? LOL).  If you are going to the local church, they should have small groups as well, so that might be helpful too?  Also, the internet is your best friend.  Did you check to see if there is a VJ subforum for that?  In the subforum that I am at, there are several people that will be living in the same state and city and they are already planning to get together!

Walt Disney Animation GIF

November 2010 - Met/Just Friends

June 2017 - I caught feelings, you want to try this?  Yes.
June 2018 - Do you want to get married?  Yes.
November 2018 - K1 filed

May 2019 - K1 interview scheduled and packet sent to embassy

June 2019 - K1 interview, approved, and moved to USA

August 2019 - Married

September 2019 - AOS/EAD/AP filed

October 2019 - Biometrics Appointment

January 2020 - AOS RFE for birth certificate received and sent back

February 2020 - EAD/AP approved and got the card

October 2020 - EAD/AP renewal filed

November 2020 - EAD/AP renewal approved and got the card - AOS interview date issued

December 2020 - AOS interview, approved, and GC received

September 2022 - ROC filed

11 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

1.  MAGA cap

2.  T-shirt that says "Relax, Gringo -- I'm Legal!"

That's perfect! lol

11 minutes ago, Fe.Ta said:

Ha!  My fiance is the same (no idea why, maybe we take it for granted? LOL).  If you are going to the local church, they should have small groups as well, so that might be helpful too?  Also, the internet is your best friend.  Did you check to see if there is a VJ subforum for that?  In the subforum that I am at, there are several people that will be living in the same state and city and they are already planning to get together!

We did find two couples who also went through the fiance visa process this year and moved to Texas! lol but Texas is huge so they still live quite a bit from us but yes it's in the plans to make a visit to each other :D  Hopefully for my birthday on Memorial Day weekend.

Spoiler

ROC:                                                                                                                                                                  

Citizenship:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
12 minutes ago, celie&joseph said:

That's perfect! lol

Fit in right away!

9 minutes ago, databit said:

Adding: Lose the bushy beard

replace with purple mohawk

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

12 minutes ago, databit said:

Adding: Lose the bushy beard

I completely agree!!! I've told him he looks amazing with a clean cut barely-there beard, but trust me when I say God himself would have to come down from the skies and do a personal shave on him for him to take that off lol 😴😭

Spoiler

ROC:                                                                                                                                                                  

Citizenship:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
10 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

purple mohawk

pink mohawk, then.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

I moved from Germany to the US so there was not a huge cultural transition but there were a few things that I had to get used to. Especially here in the South.

There  might and will be some things that he has to get used to and accept that might be uncommon in his culture.

That might be the hardest part.

ROC Timeline

08/16/19: sent I-751 packet to USCIS Lockbox in Dallas

08/19/19: packet received by USCIS

08/21/19: received text message with case number ( Texas Service Center)

08/23/19: check got chashed

08/26/19: received extension letter in the mail

11/14/19: Biometrics appointment

04/28/20: case got transferred to my local field office in Atlanta

05/28/20: New Card Is Being Produced

05/29/20: New Card Got Approved

06/02/20: We Mailed Your New Card

06/03/20: The Post Office Picked Up Your New Card

06/04/20: Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.