Luisa_eris

How to End relationship

64 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

Hello everyone! This is a very uncomfortable topic but I have exhausted all resources and asked many people and I still do not have a definite answer. So I am the US Citizen, my husband is the beneficiary. (Cuban). We married in November 2018 and filed AOS right away. At this point, our marriage is a living nightmare. I’ve asked him plenty of times to move out but he refuses to because he doesn’t have anyone in PA and wants to go forward with immigration process. I do not. I’ve asked lawyers that have told me I would have to wait a year of being married before I file for divorce since it will be considered contested. This is fine; but what do I do in the mean time? How do I get him to leave? Should I contact USCIS and let them know of the situation? He just received his employment authorization card. If you’re familiar with PA laws please advise. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Luisa_eris said:

Hello everyone! This is a very uncomfortable topic but I have exhausted all resources and asked many people and I still do not have a definite answer. So I am the US Citizen, my husband is the beneficiary. (Cuban). We married in November 2018 and filed AOS right away. At this point, our marriage is a living nightmare. I’ve asked him plenty of times to move out but he refuses to because he doesn’t have anyone in PA and wants to go forward with immigration process. I do not. I’ve asked lawyers that have told me I would have to wait a year of being married before I file for divorce since it will be considered contested. This is fine; but what do I do in the mean time? How do I get him to leave? Should I contact USCIS and let them know of the situation? He just received his employment authorization card. If you’re familiar with PA laws please advise. 

In PA, if one spouse doesn't agree with the divorce, you can only file for divorce after 2 years of separation. So since he doesn't want the divorce, you have to wait for a while. If he changes his mind, you can divorce after 6 months (no fault divorce) (https://info.legalzoom.com/divorce-pa-after-two-years-spouse-not-agree-settlement-21209.html)

You can write USCIS that you want to withdraw the I-864 before you even get the divorce. Without that, he'll get denied his green card and he has to leave the country.  So that's your best way to go in this case. Make sure you do this before his green card is issued, otherwise you're bound to the I-864

Edited by C90

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Luisa_eris said:

It is very difficult to kick someone out of their own home.  You will need a court order......You, yourself, will have to leave.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, missileman said:

I see.....you will need a court order of some kind to kick him out.....but it won't be easy.......it's where he resides.

Depends on state law.  In some states you may be able to have his unauthorized presence considered trespass 

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Write a letter to USCIS with case number and everything saying you do not wish to proceed with the AOS

Send it and you can also make an infopass appointment so you are sure they get it and look at it before he get his GC. 

Be careful he does not acuse you of DV because then he can file to stay with a abuse waiver instead. 

Contact USCIS! Pull the plug on AOS! Unless you want that person to get a green card and then you're on the hook to be financially responsible for him until he's US citizen. You signed avidafit of support. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Something you need to discuss with your Divorce Lawyer.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
50 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Depends on state law.  In some states you may be able to have his unauthorized presence considered trespass 

In what states can you kick someone out of their lawful home using trespass?

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Pa does require a divorce to wait a year but that year starts after a order is made for separation (like in NY state)

have him served with that order by authorities with police presense and they will help him move out (if his name is not on the deed )

I had a cousin near Philly who went thru this process to evict his wife as she also was not on the deed and their marriage went bad after only a few months (but he was stuck married for the next whole year)

after that do as the above VJ'ers have said and let him worry about his AOS and immigration

Most of all if things are really really bad,  do what you need to do to protect yourself

2 minutes ago, missileman said:

In what states can you kick someone out of their lawful home?

New York is one 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, kris&me said:

New York is one 

Not without a GOOD reason...like DV.

From an attorney regarding New York: " If there are no allegations of abuse or other extreme discord where the two of you cannot live together for the time being, it is unlikely that she would be successful obtaining an order requiring you to leave the home."

Timeline
Just now, payxibka said:

I had a non contractual roommate that I gave 4 hrs notice to.  She called the police a d they told her if she wasn't gone in 4 hrs they would arrest her for trespassing 

apples and oranges.....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.