Silove

Would a new mortgage affect the K-1 process?

15 posts in this topic

I've been living with my friend in her grandma's basement apartment for cheap. I planned on moving out once my fiance was here on the fiance visa, and save money until then. I've been informed that I need to move out by the end of March so that her relatives can rent there instead. 

My fiance and I were thinking about getting a house together shortly before or after our wedding (whenever that ends up being.) But now I'm considering buying a place now, rather than wait, since I need to find a place anyways. We are currently waiting for our NAO2, May would be the 5-month mark on that so I don't anticipate hearing from them before then. 

I make about $30k above the poverty line, and I'm wondering if buying a house and taking out a mortgage would affect the K-1 process negatively? Specifically when I have to send off the affidavit. How much do they look at Annual income, current checking/savings amount, would they consider a mortgage as an asset/investment? Anything else I should be thinking about as I consider this? Any help is appreciated!

They would only know the mortgage information if you tell them. Even the property value doesn't need to be disclosed...assets are optional to be listed.

So...not an issue.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Mortgage is never an asset, always a liability 😊

Unless the rental market is rotten where u are, maybe consider it.  Think about it this way- it will always be "your house" and not "our house".  If u find a modest rental and gut through it, or maybe roomies website or something, then u can do house shopping and furniture buying together later.

...I earned these grey hairs u see.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

A mortgage would not be a negative for a k1.

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
7 minutes ago, geowrian said:

They would only know the mortgage information if you tell them. Even the property value doesn't need to be disclosed...assets are optional to be listed.

So...not an issue.

The I-134 does ask about mortgage:

Real estate information, question 8b. I have mortgages or other debts amounting to $ So OP would have to disclose that. No clue what kind of effect that has on the decision for K1. Seems to me that if you can proof what you pay per month on mortgage and that you still have more then enough left to support everyone in your household it shouldn't be a problem.

4 minutes ago, C90 said:

The I-134 does ask about mortgage:

Real estate information, question 8b. I have mortgages or other debts amounting to $ So OP would have to disclose that. No clue what kind of effect that has on the decision for K1. Seems to me that if you can proof what you pay per month on mortgage and that you still have more then enough left to support everyone in your household it shouldn't be a problem.

Correct. But assets are optional...that entire section does not need to be completed unless you are claiming the property as an asset (in which case they need to know that to determine the net value of the asset).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

20 minutes ago, TandSarahJane said:

Mortgage is never an asset, always a liability 😊

Unless the rental market is rotten where u are, maybe consider it.  Think about it this way- it will always be "your house" and not "our house".  If u find a modest rental and gut through it, or maybe roomies website or something, then u can do house shopping and furniture buying together later.

...I earned these grey hairs u see.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards waiting to do it together, because I think he would really appreciate going house shopping together. But also just trying to understand all my options :) Renting is super expensive here, literally a few hundred less a month to get a mortgage. But I guess moving back in with the parents might have to happen 😐

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I would buy now. You can send links to houses you want to look at and do virtual tours together get his thoughts. There is no reason to wait until he's here and that can be months away or longer depending on the country. Many couples do this when they relocate it doesn't mean the house is not both of yours. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

A mortgage will not affect the K-1, but both names on a deed and a mortgage are a very good piece of evidence of a bona fide marriage when Removal of Conditions time arrives.

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
Just now, Silove said:

Yeah, I'm leaning towards waiting to do it together, because I think he would really appreciate going house shopping together. But also just trying to understand all my options :) Renting is super expensive here, literally a few hundred less a month to get a mortgage. But I guess moving back in with the parents might have to happen 😐

My husband bought a house 6 weeks before I arrived. We sent each other houses that we were interested in and we would discuss everything before we made the decision for our current house.

Only my husbands name is on the mortgage, to get my name on we would need to get a new mortgage and we're not doing that lol. But if you can put your fiance on the mortgage that would be good. If not, no big deal. Just put the bills in both names, put your fiance on the homeowners insurance and if possible, file a joint tax return after you're married (if you have the GC interview in 2020) USCIS understands that mortgages are a little more difficult then leases.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I don't know where the OP lives, but with an income of 30K above the poverty line you might be very hard pressed to find a house at that income level. 

2 minutes ago, Commish10 said:

I don't know where the OP lives, but with an income of 30K above the poverty line you might be very hard pressed to find a house at that income level. 

It would be a tighter budget than what I have now for sure, and probably a condo, not a house. But an apartment in a safe neighborhood is often the same price monthly as a condo mortgage (in the modest price range I'm looking at, anyways.)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

You have to look at a house as an investment,could go either way, but depending on market, usually it goes up in value. Of course it could go south like in 2007-2008, but it will come back. My house hit a low value of about 96,000 dollars back in 2009 I think it was, now it is back above 245,000. You can buy now and always add her to the deed later if you want. In my opinion renting is the biggest waste of money possible. You are paying hundreds if not over 1000 a month for something you will never own. My fiancee, now wife is more than happy with my house I have had since 2002, but I am not adding her to the house deed anyway, but it is always an option down the line. I say buy ASAP as housing values are steadily going up, along with the interest rates. Get in while you can. check your housing market trends where you live, talk to a few realtors, but the best reasearching you can do is on your own.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Not an issue either way

only need to give immigration your new address

immigration  does not ask your debts or credit score

in  my state i could add my husband on my deed with a simple quick claim deed (small $25 fee at clerk office)

i actually did this while he was still in morocco as they like commingling after marriage to approve a CR1

but to add him to my mortgage i would have to do a refinance

owning your own home is always an assest especially at tax time when you are able to deduct the interest

you never get to deduct an apartment used solely for iiving space

only my opinion

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

While I don't see any negative impact on the immigration front, I would only suggest ensuring you approach it from a sound financial standpoint. Not to say you have not already considered all of this, but although a monthly mortgage payment may be less than a monthly rental payment (the same is typically common where we live), there's more to owning a house than just the mortgage payment. There's homeowner's insurance. Possibly HOA fees, depending on where you buy. Cost of repairs and maintenance falls solely on you, opposed to a landlord/rental company. You commented that there is possibly financial restrictions on you guys now, and considering the fees that constantly come up with the immigration process, I would just make sure to take all of that into account before committing to anything.

Regardless - your home would still be yours together, and the process could still include both of you even if you are still apart. Share listings between the two of you, FaceTime/Skype/etc. whenever looking at houses in person, etc. The decision can still be between the two of you, even if they are not here yet. So don't let that necessarily be a strong factor. :)

Good luck to you, either way! It definitely never hurts to see what's out there, regardless if you jump on anything now or not.

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.