Char2424

Wife committed adultery, what are the chances of my I 751 waiver to be approved?

34 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Belgium
Timeline

Hi,

I am joining this forum because I am freaking out a little bit.

I met my now wife in 2014. We married in November 2016 and I got my greencard in August 2017. We lived happily together in a house with her two kids whom I love very much. I was happily married (for the most part), until I discovered she had cheated on me, and procceeded to go on a two week drinking/drug/ cheating binge, leaving me behind. At the end of the weeks, one of her good friends confronted her and she realized she needed help. I took her to an inpatient rehab center, and I stayed home with her two kids, taking care of everything, hoping things would get better. 

When she came home, she was sober and motivated to stay sober, but ofcourse things weren't the same. I tried working on things, still loving my wife to pieces. Then I discovered she also cheated on me while being in rehab and continued to have a relationship with that person (through letters). That's the day I decided to move out. Since then, we have been in touch, for the kids, trying te reconcile, and even gone to marriage counseling. But at the end of the day she says she does not want to be with me. She says she loves me, but is not infatuated with me anymore (this is another story, that makes me mad). 

She agreed to stay married to me until I could get my conditions removed... but it is becoming a burden, as my financials have suffered because of her... she is a complete different person I once knew. 

I don't know what to do at this point. File for a divorce? And get a waiver? Or stick it out... even though we wouldn't have good proof of the last 5 months of us being in a happy marriage... 

I am terrified of losing my stepkids... I love them and still have a great relationship with them. I just dont know what to do. And/or what my changes are of getting the waiver approved. I know we entered the marriage in good faith. There is plenty of proof (proof we also used when filing for the greencard). My family came for the wedding, I have a great relationship with her family, and her kids. I also know that almost everyone would testify for me about her wrong-doing. 

Man, it just sucks that not only I'm going through this rough time in my life, on top of it I have to be worried about immigration...

Any words of wisdom or encouragement would be welcome.

I'm sorry you're going through this and this happened to you. 

First you need to decide whether you want to stick it out or divorce. Then you know which way to file your I-751. Don't just stay married for immigration benefits. 

Make sure you collect evidence for your application so you have it ready and don't need to struggle when it's time to file. I know you said you have it but make sure it's actually in your possession in case you move out. 

Good luck with everything. 

Edited by little immigrant

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Cameroon
Timeline

I’m sorry you’re going through this fiasco in your marriage. Though everything is falling apart now there are still possibilities regarding your immigration status. If you really want out of this marriage then you will have to file a divorce waiver I-751 and also file for divorce. USCIS will RFE you the divorce decree which you will have to submit when divorce is finalized. If you have documentary evidence as you say, you should be able to successfully remove conditions without her. Many people actually do and it’s has a pretty high approval rate. If you decide to stick it with her then you will have to file joint, but keep in mind removing condidions now takes at least 1 year and could drag up to 24 months.  

Adjustment of Status From F-1 Visa.

8/14/2014: Mailed AOS package: I-130, I-485, I-765.

8/18/2014: Accepted in Chicago. Transferred to Nebraska Service Center.

8/21/2014: Received NOA 1. I-130, I-485, I-765 in mail.

8/25/2014: Received biometrics in mail. Scheduled for 9/8/2014

9/24/2014: EAD approved. 36 Days!

10/01/2014: EAD mailed.

10/03/2014: Received EAD card.

10/14/2014: I-485 moved to testing and interview.

1/28/2015: Interview scheduled for 3/4/2015.

1/31/2015: Received interview notice.

3/4/2015: Interview completed and APPROVED!

3/5/2015: Welcome notice mailed and I-130 Approved.

3/10/2015: Welcome notice and I-130 approval notice received.

3/12/2015: Green card mailed.

3/14/2015: Green card delivered.

Removal of Conditions: 

12/14/2016: Mailed I-751.

12/19/2016: NOA issued.

01/26/2017: Biometrics.

05/03/2018: I-751 transfered to NBC.

02/27/2019: Joint I-751/N-400 Interview.

05/14/2019: I-751 APPROVED.

Naturalization:

12/02/2017: Mailed N 400 to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox. (I-751 still pending)

12/05/2017: Package delivered in Phoenix, AZ. Transferred to Harrisonburg Processing Center.

12/07/2017: Notice of action issued. (IOE)

12/26/2017: Biometrics.

01/23/2019: Interview Scheduled for 2/27/2019.

02/27/2019: Joint I-751/N-400 interview. N-400 recommended for approval.

05/16/2019: N-400 APPROVED! Placed in line for oath ceremony.

05/17/2019: Oath ceremony notice mailed.

06/12/2019: Swearing in Ceremony! Finally a U.S. citizen!

As stated, if you want out then divorce it is + a divorce waiver.

Her actions aren't cause to approve or deny your ROC petition.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
3 hours ago, little immigrant said:

I'm sorry you're going through this and this happened to you. 

First you need to decide whether you want to stick it out or divorce. Then you know which way to file your I-751. Don't just stay married for immigration benefits. 

Make sure you collect evidence for your application so you have it ready and don't need to struggle when it's time to file. I know you said you have it but make sure it's actually in your possession in case you move out. 

Good luck with everything. 

Yeah, I am sorry too. Life can take some weird turns sometimes.

What kind of evidence are you talking about? Evidence that she cheated on me? Or evidence of our legit marriage? 

We are already living seperate at this point.

Timeline
3 hours ago, Starkilla09 said:

I’m sorry you’re going through this fiasco in your marriage. Though everything is falling apart now there are still possibilities regarding your immigration status. If you really want out of this marriage then you will have to file a divorce waiver I-751 and also file for divorce. USCIS will RFE you the divorce decree which you will have to submit when divorce is finalized. If you have documentary evidence as you say, you should be able to successfully remove conditions without her. Many people actually do and it’s has a pretty high approval rate. If you decide to stick it with her then you will have to file joint, but keep in mind removing condidions now takes at least 1 year and could drag up to 24 months.  

What evidence is more important? The fact she commited adultery? Or all the other things...
I can get evidence I paid for her rehab, and we went to counseling, and we had accounts togethers, and I am close to the kids... I also know that anyone would testify for me, including her friends. 

It all just makes me very anxious, never thought I would be in this position.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Cameroon
Timeline
2 hours ago, Char2424 said:

What evidence is more important? The fact she commited adultery? Or all the other things...
I can get evidence I paid for her rehab, and we went to counseling, and we had accounts togethers, and I am close to the kids... I also know that anyone would testify for me, including her friends. 

It all just makes me very anxious, never thought I would be in this position.

It’s normal to be anxious throughout this process especially with the predicament you’re currently in but don’t despair you’ll be just fine. Now with regards to evidence, USCIS doesn’t care about the reasons that broke the marriage. What they DO care about is if you can prove that the marriage was entered in good faith at the inception (bona fide), and not just a means of circumventing immigration law to procure a green card. The evidence they’ll like to see are documentary evidence with your spouse showing joint financial liabilities such as lease/mortgage, tax returns, bank/credit card statements, utilities such as water, sewage, garbage, insurance policies etc.   You can equally send secondary evidence as well for support such as affidavits from friends and relatives who knew your marriage, the rehab stuff etc.

Edited by Starkilla09

Adjustment of Status From F-1 Visa.

8/14/2014: Mailed AOS package: I-130, I-485, I-765.

8/18/2014: Accepted in Chicago. Transferred to Nebraska Service Center.

8/21/2014: Received NOA 1. I-130, I-485, I-765 in mail.

8/25/2014: Received biometrics in mail. Scheduled for 9/8/2014

9/24/2014: EAD approved. 36 Days!

10/01/2014: EAD mailed.

10/03/2014: Received EAD card.

10/14/2014: I-485 moved to testing and interview.

1/28/2015: Interview scheduled for 3/4/2015.

1/31/2015: Received interview notice.

3/4/2015: Interview completed and APPROVED!

3/5/2015: Welcome notice mailed and I-130 Approved.

3/10/2015: Welcome notice and I-130 approval notice received.

3/12/2015: Green card mailed.

3/14/2015: Green card delivered.

Removal of Conditions: 

12/14/2016: Mailed I-751.

12/19/2016: NOA issued.

01/26/2017: Biometrics.

05/03/2018: I-751 transfered to NBC.

02/27/2019: Joint I-751/N-400 Interview.

05/14/2019: I-751 APPROVED.

Naturalization:

12/02/2017: Mailed N 400 to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox. (I-751 still pending)

12/05/2017: Package delivered in Phoenix, AZ. Transferred to Harrisonburg Processing Center.

12/07/2017: Notice of action issued. (IOE)

12/26/2017: Biometrics.

01/23/2019: Interview Scheduled for 2/27/2019.

02/27/2019: Joint I-751/N-400 interview. N-400 recommended for approval.

05/16/2019: N-400 APPROVED! Placed in line for oath ceremony.

05/17/2019: Oath ceremony notice mailed.

06/12/2019: Swearing in Ceremony! Finally a U.S. citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
17 hours ago, Char2424 said:

continued to have a relationship with that person (through letters)

Who stays in relationship through letters nowadays.  Seems like this was written in the 90s.

07/27/17 - K1 packet sent at the end of day.

07/31/17 - NOA1

03/22/18 - NOA2

08/28/18 - expected date for medical completion - Sputum test was needed

09/22/18 - anticipated interview date

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
Just now, NoProblem said:

Who stays in relationship through letters nowadays.  Seems like this was written in the 90s.

OP said his wife met this person while in rehab/an inpatient facility, so I took it to mean said person is/was still there after wife left. Some of those places may not have means to communicate outside the facility other than letters.

OP - this is a sad story to hear. I always hate hearing about beneficiaries who come here with legitimate intentions, and sacrifice everything they do just to have it fall apart. Best of luck to you.

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Paul & Mallory said:

OP said his wife met this person while in rehab/an inpatient facility, so I took it to mean said person is/was still there after wife left. Some of those places may not have means to communicate outside the facility other than letters.

Unlikely, but its my opinion.

07/27/17 - K1 packet sent at the end of day.

07/31/17 - NOA1

03/22/18 - NOA2

08/28/18 - expected date for medical completion - Sputum test was needed

09/22/18 - anticipated interview date

48 minutes ago, NoProblem said:

I guess you've never known someone in rehab or prison.

Edited by Jaquelly
clarification

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I'm really sorry you are dealing with that! Sounds like you are a good person just based on what you've written here, especially caring so much about the stepchildren. Just curious...are the stepchildren your reason for wanting to stay in the US even if the marriage doesn't work out? It always makes me wonder why people who came to the US for a spouse get divorced still want to stay (which is totally their right to do). If I were in that situation I would want to go back to my home country to be around my friends and family, not stick around a place that reminded me of a dissolved marriage. But I'm the USC, so maybe that's just the subconscious privilege speaking. 😁

Anyway, in all seriousness - I think you should do what's best for YOU. If staying in the marriage any longer will be detrimental to your own personal life and well-being and there is absolutely no way to reconcile, then you should divorce. Follow the advice about a waiver and be honest and transparent about what happened. Either way, I hope it all works out for you!

The Dalai Lama, when asked what surprised him most about humanity, answered "Man.... Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."

- The Dalai Lama

1 hour ago, NoProblem said:

Does it even matter? Your comments aren't helpful.

OP, I am so sorry this is happening to you. It sounds like you have more than enough evidence of a bona fide marriage, so I wouldn't worry about your ROC.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.