flesh1mp

Getting married within 90 days question

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiance is going to be arriving on the 13th of September.  We have been looking at wedding dates and one we have found with a venue that we like is available for December 1 which is day 79 of her visa.  90 days for us will be on December 12.  Is that enough time to get the wedding license back so that she won't be considered overstaying her visa?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

I don’t think so. That’s only 11 days for them to get it back to you. Ours took 3 weeks. I don’t advise applying for AOS after the 90 days are up but some people have done it and have had no issue. I wouldn’t trust it though. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

You will have to check. The marriage license you can get a few months in advance, they are valid for like 90 days. The marriage certificate is the proof you got married, and that is what you send with AOS. Here in Vegas the certificate is available 24 hours after submitting the signed off license, even same day sometimes, but you can pick up a certified copy the next day. 

Depending on who marries you, they usually have 10 days to turn in the signed license or they can get in trouble. Most of them will turn it in to the county clerk the next day, or you can ask them to. The other option is if they will let you take it to be recorded at the clerk's office. Some will, some won't. Doesn't matter how it gets down there, but you should be able to pull it off in 5 days or less if you are willing to physically pick up the certificate of marriage. Call and ask the clerk at the wedding license bureau, they will know. If you do a courthouse ceremony it is really a quick turnaround because you are all right there in the courthouse already, and it gets recorded same day usually.

Then next day air the AOS to USCIS, and your good.

Edited by Loren Y

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

depends on your local courthouse or whoever is going to officiate your wedding..

Our wedding (albeit not k1) was april 16th, we got the official marriage certificate April 25th. 

I think that was because it was a courthouse wedding, the judge that officiated the wedding personally delivered the marriage license to the clerk that same day and our town is pretty small so it was fast.. 

AOS from h2a visa, marriage based.

Filed I 130, I 485, I 131 and I 765 concurrently,

5/11/2018 Priority date; sent to Missouri, MSCxxxxxxxxx

6/15/2018 Biometrics appointment, Houston TX

7/11/2018 RFE for Birth Certificate

7/23/2018 Sent BC in response to RFE

7/31/2018 Confirmation of receipt of the BC

8/3/2018 received courtesy letter for medical 

8/6/2018 Case is ready to be scheduled for interview

9/19/2018 EAD/AP approved

9/20/2018 EAD/AP card in production 

9/24/2018 EAD/AP card is ready to be mailed

9/25/2018 EAD/AP card is mailed, usps tracking included in online update

9/27/2018 EAD/AP card picked up at post office

I-130 for 2 husband's daughters (my step daughters) 10 and 17

5/11/2018 Priority Date; sent to Nebraska Service Center, LINxxxxxxxxx

Waiting game for ALL cases!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Guyana
Timeline

You have do to your research.

In Maryland, we got married on a Saturday, took our license to the clerk on Monday and had certified copies in less than 5 minutes.

It is possible, depending on where you live.  

Another consideration is to have your AOS package ready and waiting so that once you do get the marriage certificate, you can send the complete package right away.  

K1 Timeline

5/17/2017: I-129F sent to USCIS Lewisville, Texas via FedEx Ground Shipping
01/03/2018: NVC Received I-129F and Case Number Received
01/23/2018: Embassy Received
02/09/2018: Medical
03/19/2018: Interview 
03/19/2018: APPROVED!
03/21/2018: Visa in Hand

08/04/2018:  MARRIED!

AOS Timeline (I-485)

08/29/2018: AOS/EAD/AP sent to USCIS Chicago Lockbox via FedEx

09/12/2018: Received our NOA1 hard copy via mail

09/24/2018: Biometrics Appointment

12/27/2018: AOS Interview Scheduled by USCIS

02/13/2019: Interview

02/14/2019: AOS APPROVED!!!

02/20/2019: GREEN CARD ISSUED!!!

02/21/2019: GREEN CARD IN HAND!!!

Removal of Conditions Timeline (I-751)

11/13/2020: 90-day application window opened

12/12/2020: I-751 sent to USCIS Phoenix via UPS

12/17/2020: Received by USCIS

01/28/2021: Received NOA1 hard copy via mail

02/04/2021: Biometrics Waived 

11/08/2021: Received NOA hard copy for 24-month extension via mail

01/11/2022: Removal of Conditions Approved

01/15/2022: Hard copy of NOA received

01/18/2022: Permanent Resident Card in Hand!

Citizenship Timeline (N-400)

08/04/2021: 3-year marriage-based window opened

09/12/2022: N-400 filed online, Received by USCIS, NOA1 Digital copy received

09/14/2022: Biometrics Waived 

12/21/2022: Citizenship Interview Scheduled by USCIS (Vermont Field Office)

02/07/2023: Interview 

06/23/2023: Citizenship Oath!!!

VJ Was With Us From Beginning to END...THANK YOU VJ!!!

1 hour ago, flesh1mp said:

My fiance is going to be arriving on the 13th of September.  We have been looking at wedding dates and one we have found with a venue that we like is available for December 1 which is day 79 of her visa.  90 days for us will be on December 12.  Is that enough time to get the wedding license back so that she won't be considered overstaying her visa?

That satisfies the 90 day requirement of getting married. You can do AOS after the 90 days without an issue. Yes, technically your wife will be out of status then and deportable but in reality it never happens.

I would just have a serious talk with your officiant. We got married on April 8th. I explained how important it is to get our marriage certificate quickly. He handed it in the next day and I got it back in my mailbox (from another state because we got married in a different state) 10 days later.  He also told us we could take it in and turn it in ourselves the next day and get copies on the spot. We were too worried about losing it at the party, so we decided to let him handle it hahahaha. But before choosing your officiant, I would have that conversation. Regardless, you don't have to file AOS in 90 days. You need to be married in 90 days, which you will be. 

Edited by Sarah&Facundo

16 hours ago, Sunnyland said:

Do a fast wedding civil ceremony at the courthouse as soon as you can, so you guys can start sending the papers for AOS (after receiving the  official marriage certificate). And then you can do a wedding religious ceremony later on.

I agree. Get married as soon as you can, file for AOS, so that she will be able to get her EAD sooner rather than later (it can be really depressing staying at home with nothing to do) and then start planning your actual wedding the way you want it, without the pressure of chasing deadlines. 

We got married in the church and took the license down to the courthouse that Monday and had the cert later the next day.

If you are going to have the license sent by the officiant then yeah it'll probably take to long.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

Our marriage certificate was completed the next day- tell them your situation prior to getting married- I don’t see why they can’t get it completed fast like ours did. Also like others have commented you have to get married w/in 90 days- that’s the requirement. Also- If you are that concerned maybe delay your fiancé getting here until closer to the wedding date so you have more time- not necessary by any means but if you have concerns this is an option you can still change. Have your documents prepared for AOS as well do you can just ship it off when the marriage certificate arrives.

Edited by Luckycuds

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
23 hours ago, flesh1mp said:

you can go to city clerk office .i hope you can get earlier dates i applied in NY.same day i got my marriage licence and for marriage 15 days that's it .im sure if try you can get marriage dates ASAP.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thank you for all the help everyone! We decided to just get the legal part of it out of the way and get married early on in the courthouse. That seems to be the safest way. Then we’ll do the ceremony in a few months when we’re able to and have the time to. 

16 hours ago, flesh1mp said:

Thank you for all the help everyone! We decided to just get the legal part of it out of the way and get married early on in the courthouse. That seems to be the safest way. Then we’ll do the ceremony in a few months when we’re able to and have the time to. 

Great decision! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.