EastMeetsWest2018

Just learned my wife is pregnant.. options?

47 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
27 minutes ago, Orangesapples said:

I don't want children any time soon and I wouldn't feel offended if pregnant couples got expedites. Also, pregnancy might not be a medical emergency but it's a family emergency and it's important for the baby to get the best care possible by both parents. 

I seriously doubt that couples would get pregnant just for a visa. That's way too big of a commitment, especially for women, in order to save a few months of waiting. 

There are soooo many people around the world who think that if they have an anchor baby they can stay in the country they've come to. There was a Somali baby boom in my hometown a few years back until word spread it wasn't going to help them stay. So yeah, happens way more than you think not only in the states.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
36 minutes ago, Orangesapples said:

People have kids for tax refunds? Where are those people? I highly doubt there's a big enough number of them. 

And show more respect, calling babies little brats is terrible. And do you also sue couples who get tax breaks for having kids then? Or married couples who get them, too? Discrimination again, huh? 

Why? Parents jokingly call their kids little brats so why can't others?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

*** personal attack posts and those quoting removed.  Folks, this is a question about an actual case, and not your soap box.  Give constructive advice directly relevant to the OP, or do not post. *******

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Other Timeline
1 hour ago, Orangesapples said:

Unfair? I don't see how. Pregnancy should be a reason for expedite. 

Pregnancy is a choice.  Why would a woman of childbearing age have preferential treatment over other women and all men and children?

No one ever said US immigration was fast or easy.  No one ever said that your opinion about what is fair or unfair matters.  What matters are the rules that exist are applied fairly to all.

Now, it someone is expecting quintuplets, that might be enough of a medical situation to justify expediting but it is to benefit the babies and not the spouses.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
6 hours ago, EastMeetsWest2018 said:

So I finally submitted my I-130 to the Chicago lockbox via FedEx from Singapore and it is expected to arrive on Tuesday. Literally the next morning my wife learns she is pregnant (we had been trying so not a complete shock).

I'm curious to know if I could now claim an exceptional circumstance and be eligible for DCF? If so, do I ask USCIS to send my packet to Thailand or do I tell FedEx to stop shipment and apply directly myself? Or is there a way to let USCIS know and see if they are able to expedite? 

I guess worst case we have the kid here and due to processing times it'll probably be born before approval.

Pregnancy is not a reason for expedite. 

Goodluck to you on this long journey

Edited by Abies

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
1 hour ago, Orangesapples said:

I don't want children any time soon and I wouldn't feel offended if pregnant couples got expedites. Also, pregnancy might not be a medical emergency but it's a family emergency and it's important for the baby to get the best care possible by both parents. 

I seriously doubt that couples would get pregnant just for a visa. That's way too big of a commitment, especially for women, in order to save a few months of waiting. 

You would be way in shock to know that in my home country there are a lot (thousands) of people (poor class) that keep having kids (one after the other) just to get benefits from the system. What kids of benefits? Housing benefits, money, money and money. Not only that, as soon as they fall pregnant they start cashing on that. The government subsidy them just for being pregnant. Something started with the previous administrations.

And you do wonder if someone would do this just to get a visa to come to the U.S.??? Ever heard of fraud marriages for a green card? Anybody can have a baby, but no everyone can raise a baby.

In my book an emergency is someone that feel ill (a very complicated or terminal disease), someone in a disaster area or for humanitarian reasons. I would happily trade my spot in the queue for someone that really needed it. Not someone that had sex and fell pregnant. 

Edited by Sunnyland

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Progress Reports to Process and Procedures. 

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Chill, people. It’s a lovely Sunday here (or Saturday, for some of you). OP has got the answer he was looking for, let’s not go into the whole pregnancy for expedite/ benefits thing all over again 😁 Good day/ good night! 

8 hours ago, Orangesapples said:

You would be surprised how many people would get pregnant for a visa, or enter a country illegally just so their child can be a US citizen. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline
13 hours ago, EastMeetsWest2018 said:

So I finally submitted my I-130 to the Chicago lockbox via FedEx from Singapore and it is expected to arrive on Tuesday. Literally the next morning my wife learns she is pregnant (we had been trying so not a complete shock).

I'm curious to know if I could now claim an exceptional circumstance and be eligible for DCF? If so, do I ask USCIS to send my packet to Thailand or do I tell FedEx to stop shipment and apply directly myself? Or is there a way to let USCIS know and see if they are able to expedite? 

I guess worst case we have the kid here and due to processing times it'll probably be born before approval.

We tried twice and were refused. She had our son in February and we're still waiting for NOA 2.

Filed: Other Timeline

OP,  You may certainly be with your wife for pregnancy and delivery; plan for it to be in her home country and not the USA.  Chill. Enjoy. Twenty years - even two years - from now, it is not going to matter where the baby was born.

Edited by CEE53147

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
9 hours ago, Mrsjackson said:

OP, sorry for all the back and forth chirping regarding the heavily overdone classic VJ argument “why should people get ahead of me in line just because they had sex” on your thread. Every pregnancy post on VJ gets polluted with this same old same old and it is VERY old. I’m speaking as a K1 beneficiary who filed the petition as an 8 months pregnant woman. I absolutely did not for one second think my pregnancy was a reason to skip the line, and we never tried to expedite it. I do not think it would be fair for a woman experiencing a complication free pregnancy to jump ahead of others. However, I am sick to death of people on here dragging down a pregnancy, calling babies “brats” (wth?) and insinuating unmarried pregnant couples have “poor planning skills” (stfu). Look, we get it. You don’t think that would be fair. And I have great news. Neither does USCIS! So it’s all good you can stop arguing with each other about it. There is no problem here. 

As you have already learned here, pregnancy will not be a reason for you to expedite. I want to offer you some advice as someone who has been in your fiancée’s position. Tell her to relax, sit tight and find the best care she can where she is. Pregnancy is tough, but the newborn phase is the true ### kicker. Tell her to surround herself with close family and friends, make plans to BE THERE when that baby is born and if possible, for at least a month after to help her because believe me she will need it. Immigration stuff, as important as it is, will have to take a back seat to what she’s about to get herself into. A newborn baby is no joke. She doesn’t need to be worrying about moving countries around that time. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.