EastMeetsWest2018

Just learned my wife is pregnant.. options?

47 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, geowrian said:
  1. Pregnancy in itself is not a reason to expedite.
  2. DCF in exceptional circumstances is possible. However, what is the exceptional circumstance here? A pregnancy may be exceptional to you as an individual (congrats!), but is not so for immigration purposes.
  3. An expedite due to pregnancy may be possibly if there are considerable medical complications or risks due to the pregnancy...just like any medical expedite.
  4. I have heard some embassies may let you inside or to the front of a line if you are visibly pregnant, so at least thta's something?

Thanks for a direct and non-insulting answer. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Perhaps now would be good time to mention the VJ ToS, my bible, should be yours.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

This question comes up a lot on VJ. I wish they did expedite due to pregnancy because I’d be in the states by now. Have my K1 interview on May. 25th and gave birth to my American fiancé’s child last October 😂.

4 hours ago, Roel said:

It would be horribly unfair to expedite the process based on the pregnancy alone. Just saying.

The USCIS website I look at says nothing about the pregnancy, just emergency medical situation. Which pregnancy is not.

Unfair? I don't see how. Pregnancy should be a reason for expedite. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

This question comes a lot every week and they always get the same answer. And I wish people start thinking more before jumping into the magical thought that pregnancy will guarantee them an expedite.

Let's imagine if that could happen, if a pregnancy would allow a couple to skip the line and be the first ones with no waiting at all then the whole process would be one big chaos. A big bang of sudden pregnancies. Not only that but as a "neutral" organization they should not and can not put others in preference just because they were able to fall pregnant (accidentally or on purpose).  They can not discriminate like that. A lot of couple can not have or don't want children and they should not be put in waiting just because some couple did not wait or did not want to wait to have a child.

OP, It's great that you planned to have a baby with the person you love, but do NOT expect a better treatment from USCIS just because of that. 

And unless that baby is the second coming of Jesus, do not expect any benefit from that. Just be happy you can have a baby and enjoy your journey. You can always be at your spouse side in her country. Nothing stops you from doing that.

Expedite Criteria

USCIS may expedite a petition or application if it meets one or more of the following criteria:

• Severe financial loss to company or person;
  • Emergency situation;
  • Humanitarian reasons;
  • Nonprofit organization whose request is in furtherance of the cultural and social interests of the United States;
  • Department of Defense or national interest situation (These particular expedite requests must come from an official U.S. government entity and state that delay will be detrimental to the government.);
  • USCIS error; or
  • Compelling interest of USCIS.
Edited by Sunnyland

3 minutes ago, Roel said:

Not everyone wants children. Not everyone can have children.

People who just had sex and got pregnant should NOT have advantage over other couple. If that was a valid reason for expedite you'd see couples everywhere getting pregnant and jumping in front of the line before childless couples.

Pregnancy is not a medical emergency,  it should not be treated as such.

I don't want children any time soon and I wouldn't feel offended if pregnant couples got expedites. Also, pregnancy might not be a medical emergency but it's a family emergency and it's important for the baby to get the best care possible by both parents. 

I seriously doubt that couples would get pregnant just for a visa. That's way too big of a commitment, especially for women, in order to save a few months of waiting. 

Just now, Orangesapples said:

I don't want children any time soon and I wouldn't feel offended if pregnant couples got expedites. Also, pregnancy might not be a medical emergency but it's a family emergency and it's important for the baby to get the best care possible by both parents. 

Well, immigration doesn't care. Babies are not miracles or emergencies. They happen all the time. Sure I guess it's important for the baby to get the best care, but both parents don't need to be present 100% of the time. Plus NOTHING stops US spouse to move to foreign spouse country to be with the baby.

Just now, Orangesapples said:

I seriously doubt that couples would get pregnant just for a visa.

You'd be SEVERELY surprise. People often have kids just for financial benefits or tax refunds, why not use them as a faster ticket to the US also?

If I'd find out some couples get priority and special treatment just because they made a little brat, I'd be suing someone over discrimination. ;)

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

1 minute ago, Roel said:

You'd be SEVERELY surprise. People often have kids just for financial benefits or tax refunds, why not use them as a faster ticket to the US also?

If I'd find out some couples get priority and special treatment just because they made a little brat, I'd be suing someone over discrimination. ;)

People have kids for tax refunds? Where are those people? I highly doubt there's a big enough number of them. 

And show more respect, calling babies little brats is terrible. And do you also sue couples who get tax breaks for having kids then? Or married couples who get them, too? Discrimination again, huh? 

2 minutes ago, Orangesapples said:

People have kids for tax refunds? Where are those people? I highly doubt there's a big enough number of them. 

And show more respect, calling babies little brats is terrible.

I don't like children, I'll call them what I want. :P Definitely don't have to respect them lol.

2 minutes ago, Orangesapples said:

And do you also sue couples who get tax breaks for having kids then? Or married couples who get them, too? Discrimination again, huh? 

Kind of missing the point of what I said. Anyway, we can argue as long as we want but USCIS stand on this is pretty clear - pregnancy is not a reason to expedite.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

the fair option would be to allow everybody to apply for an Expedite whatever reason they have rather than limit it to a few.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Why should pregnancy be reason to expedite?

How about those couples who already have live kids who are missing their moms or dads and who's one parent aren't there to see them grow because live kids does not speed up immigration process? Why would they be treated differently than mom and dad-to be?

I see no reason why pregnancy (normal, no medical issues) should be a reason for expedited over anyone else.

And USC spouse always has the option to travel to their partners home country for the time being. 

Edited by Hattivatti
Typo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.