EastMeetsWest2018

Just learned my wife is pregnant.. options?

47 posts in this topic

So I finally submitted my I-130 to the Chicago lockbox via FedEx from Singapore and it is expected to arrive on Tuesday. Literally the next morning my wife learns she is pregnant (we had been trying so not a complete shock).

I'm curious to know if I could now claim an exceptional circumstance and be eligible for DCF? If so, do I ask USCIS to send my packet to Thailand or do I tell FedEx to stop shipment and apply directly myself? Or is there a way to let USCIS know and see if they are able to expedite? 

I guess worst case we have the kid here and due to processing times it'll probably be born before approval.

Pregnancies means nothing to the Immigration. If you got pregnant hopping it will expedite the process then it's your bad.

There is NO expedite based on the pregnancy or the baby. You have to wait 12 to 14 months just like everyone else.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

1 minute ago, Infidel said:

As far as I know, they don't expedite in any way for pregnancies 

The USCIS own webpage says that exceptional circumstances for DCF include medical issues including pregnancies.

Just now, Roel said:

Pregnancies means nothing to the Immigration. If you got pregnant hopping it will expedite the process then it's your bad.

There is NO expedite based on the pregnancy or the baby. You have to wait 12 to 14 months just like everyone else.

My bad? We have been trying for a kid for almost a year. This isn't a scheme to cut the system. However, I am curious to know if someone has been in this situation and tried DCF as USCIS itself claims that pregnancy MAY be a possible reason for exceptional circumstance.

It would be horribly unfair to expedite the process based on the pregnancy alone. Just saying.

The USCIS website I look at says nothing about the pregnancy, just emergency medical situation. Which pregnancy is not.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

1 minute ago, Roel said:

It would be horribly unfair to expedite the process based on the pregnancy alone. Just saying.

The USCIS website I look at says nothing about the pregnancy, just emergency medical situation. Which pregnancy is not.

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Laws/Memoranda/2012/May/DOS-I130May1412.pdf

Again... I am not saying if it is, could, or should be considered a medical emergency or exceptional circumstance. I'm asking if anyone has been in this situation and was ruled eligible for DCF.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1 hour ago, EastMeetsWest2018 said:

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Laws/Memoranda/2012/May/DOS-I130May1412.pdf

Again... I am not saying if it is, could, or should be considered a medical emergency or exceptional circumstance. I'm asking if anyone has been in this situation and was ruled eligible for DCF.

What is her Doctors prognosis what is the basis for the expedite request.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
1 hour ago, EastMeetsWest2018 said:

The link only mentions delay of travel. As the spousal visa takes longer than a year she would have had her baby long after she is due to travel. So unless the baby has something wrong with it that only someone in America can fix, I highly doubt you can get expedited. If people could get expedited for a complication free pregnancy, lots of couples would get pregnant. 

Just now, ms_bobdog said:

I didn't know Singapore offers DCF. But it is true that there is no expedite for pregnancies unless there are exceptional complications.

Singapore doesn't. Thailand does. Thailand can take up a Singapore DCF under exceptional circumstances and on they listed is medical and under that is pregnancy. You are probably right that it is probably in case of some sort of complication. My post is just to see if anyone out there reading had successfully been approved for DCF due to pregnancy. In reality, I think my wife would want to have her first pregnancy in Singapore. I'm just trying to get information so we know all options.

Just now, EastMeetsWest2018 said:

Singapore doesn't. Thailand does. Thailand can take up a Singapore DCF under exceptional circumstances and on they listed is medical and under that is pregnancy. You are probably right that it is probably in case of some sort of complication. My post is just to see if anyone out there reading had successfully been approved for DCF due to pregnancy. In reality, I think my wife would want to have her first pregnancy in Singapore. I'm just trying to get information so we know all options.

Prepare for a 12-14 month wait because that is the best likelihood and we certainly do not wish any kind of complications. By the way, I don't know how the baby's nationality is going to work out. Just wanted to let you know of a friend's cousin's case. Said cousin is Malaysian, and husband is also a foreigner (can't remember what nationality). They had the baby in Singapore but the baby was not eligible for Singapore, Malaysia nor the husband's citizenship. The child ended up stateless :o I used to think that any baby born in Singapore would be eligible for Singapore citizenship but I think rules have changed somehow.

1 minute ago, ms_bobdog said:

Prepare for a 12-14 month wait because that is the best likelihood and we certainly do not wish any kind of complications. By the way, I don't know how the baby's nationality is going to work out. Just wanted to let you know of a friend's cousin's case. Said cousin is Malaysian, and husband is also a foreigner (can't remember what nationality). They had the baby in Singapore but the baby was not eligible for Singapore, Malaysia nor the husband's citizenship. The child ended up stateless :o I used to think that any baby born in Singapore would be eligible for Singapore citizenship but I think rules have changed somehow.

I'm American who spent all but the last 3 years of his life in the USA so the kid will be American. But yes, it will not be eligible for Singaporean citizenship. Only question would be if it is eligible for president. That is the Ted Cruz question as he ran but was born in Canada and got his citizenship through his American mother.

1 minute ago, EastMeetsWest2018 said:

I'm American who spent all but the last 3 years of his life in the USA so the kid will be American. But yes, it will not be eligible for Singaporean citizenship. Only question would be if it is eligible for president. That is the Ted Cruz question as he ran but was born in Canada and got his citizenship through his American mother.

President? I had to read twice to make sure I saw that right. C'mon, surely the time you spent in Singapore has not made you as kiasu as us born-and-bred Singaporeans... :D 

14 minutes ago, ms_bobdog said:

President? I had to read twice to make sure I saw that right. C'mon, surely the time you spent in Singapore has not made you as kiasu as us born-and-bred Singaporeans... :D 

I hope that our kid has better career aspirations than President ;)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.