Cam54

What are the benefits of citizenship?

84 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
17 minutes ago, Cam54 said:

They still make you sit there and wait in my area

1 hour ago, JT4/25 said:

Actually, in regards to jury duty.  Alot of companies give you regular pay and you give them your jury duty check.  It is harder and harder to get out of serving...I even had a lawyer on our jury.....but it is alot easier.  You used to have to go and sit all day until your number was called.  Now you call the night before to see if they need you.

Most places send out numbers a couple of months before to a large group of citizens. The night before they will have an estimate of how many potential cases there will be, and from this estimate only call in a certain number of people will be asked to come in.

The people that go in still have to sit around see if the cases actually go to trial (if cases are not able to come to a settlement prior). If they go to trial them some of the people called in for Jury get to go in and start the process of being selected for Jury Duty. They ask a billion questions to the 100 + potential jury in the room and the lawyers select the Jury based on their opinions. 

I was once chosen for attempted murder once. It was actually a really interesting day the case was eventually dismissed because of witnesses going back on their statements. 

It you travel overseas (Which I am sure you have because this is an immigration forum). The waiting is less painful than waiting for delayed or cancelled flights, in my opinion. 

Edited by AshMarty

01/31/17.... K1 Visa Approved

02/03/17.... K1 Visa Received in Hand

06/05/17....Arrived in the USA (LAX)

06/24/17....Married on Cape Cod <3

07/10/17....Sent AOS package (I-485, I-131, I-765)

07/17/17.... AOS notice date for NOA1 (I-485, I-131, I-765)

07/21/17.... Received mailed hardcopies of NOA1s

07/29/17.... Biometrics Notice received in mail 

08/01/17.... Biometrics Appointment AOS - complete (walked in)

08/07/17.... Biometrics Appointment EAD - complete (walked in)

10/23/17.... EAD/AP card delivered to house YAY!

Timeline
19 minutes ago, Cam54 said:

They still make you sit there and wait in my area

and neither my company or my husbands company pay so it's lost earnings and I know people think I'm being trivial worrying so much about a day a year but when the rent on your crappy rat infested apartment is $1850 a month and you're getting a steal for the area every penny counts towards saving to buy, id say wev lost around $800 to jury duty so far in the 4 years I've lived here due to lost income although ofcourse filing for green card every 10 years would cost too.

The one pro that i actually feel is worth it from this list so far is security knowing I would never have to leave the country or have trouble reentering. I don't worry so much about the vote due to living in an area that shares my liberal views so it's doing a good job of staying a blue state without my help.

You will likely pay more than 800 dollars in continuing immigration fees for renewing Green Cards and having to miss days of work to fill out paperwork or go into USCIS because of mistakes with filing or renewing paperwork. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
12 hours ago, HarryWL said:

Vote Trump out of office in 2020.

Major pro.

Prepare yourself for a shock in 2020.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

With citizenship comes certain responsibilities.  If time off for jury duty is going to make or break you and is going to determine your citizen status, I'd say you have bigger issues to deal with.

Finally done.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Talako said:

With citizenship comes certain responsibilities.  If time off for jury duty is going to make or break you and is going to determine your citizen status, I'd say you have bigger issues to deal with.

I think ultimately the real reason I'm put off is I don't like how this country is run in terms of public institutions, no real maternity or work benefits by law etc but moving home is no longer a reality so I have to suck it up and for the sake of my future children and security in this country citizenship is necessary 

Submitted k1 visa petition - January 20th,2013NOA1 - February 2nd 2013NOA2 - June 20th 2013Medical - August 14th 2013<p>Interview - October 4th
Moved to California January 8th smile.png

Timeline
14 minutes ago, Cam54 said:

I think ultimately the real reason I'm put off is I don't like how this country is run in terms of public institutions, no real maternity or work benefits by law etc but moving home is no longer a reality so I have to suck it up and for the sake of my future children and security in this country citizenship is necessary 

Well one thing you can do to change it, is become a citizen and vote in your local and state elections. That is where the big changes all start but no one thinks to vote for changes starting there. 

No to mention in the US most states set the individual state laws that typically influence you. For example California can one day decide that any employer of California requires Maternity leave (but it might not be a federal law). But if that issue ever comes up in a local election, you have to be a citizen to vote. 

Edited by AshMarty

One of the Pros that no one mentioned yet: You get to work in Government jobs that requires to be a US Citizen. 

Such jobs like USCIS, TSA, Customs Border so on. Maybe you're not interested but I'm very interested in working for USCIS haha! 

Removal of Conditions I-751

29 December 2017 - ROC Filing Opening Date (Expiry 29 Mar 2018)

29 December 2017 - I-751 Priority Mail shipped to VSC

2 January 2018 - Package delivered

8 January 2018 - Check cashed in

11 January 2018 - NOA received (DATE of NOA: 3 JAN 2018)

22 January 2018 - Biometrics Appointment letter received

30 January 2018 - Biometrics Appointment

11 August 2018 - 18 Months extension received (Exp on Sept 2019)

8 April 2019 - I751 Approved

12 April 2019 - NOA and greencard received

Help us all by updating your Timeline and Profile!:D

1. Click on your blue nickname on top right corner, there will be a dropdown menu> My Timeline > Edit/Add My Entry.

2. Click on your blue nickname at top right corner, dropdown menu > Account Settings > Profile > Edit Profile (Black button) > change your Filed for and Location.

3. If you would like to update your signature, click on your blue nickname on top right corner, dropdown menu> Account Settings > Left menu click on Signature.

IMPT: If you change address, DO NOT FORGET TO fill up AR-11 Online,for your USC Spouse, fill up I-865! 

30 minutes ago, Cam54 said:

Coming from the UK, I can see how the US can be a bit "different."  My suggestion would simply view the positives.  While the political climate and discourse in this country has deteriorated dramatically in the last 9 years, the US is still a beautiful place to live.  Whether an psychotic orange clown or the Queen of Evil and Corruption, this country will or would have survive(d).

So, focus on the positives.  Great and beautiful country, exorcism of USCIS from your life, and worry-free unrestricted travel.  

Finally done.

14 hours ago, Cam54 said:

I am eligible to apply for naturalization next month and id like people's ideas on pros and cons. A big con to me is jury duty as it's such an inefficient system here and id rather not yearly have the threat of lost earnings compared to the U.K. Where you're only called a couple times in a lifetime. I'm 4 months pregnant so not sure if that will sway any pro ideas.

Personally, below are the pros for me.

1. Can be qualified for jobs only open for USC's.

2. I don't have to carry my gc. (Can result to jail for up to 30 days and/or fine if was asked for proof and I don't have my gc).

3. I don't have to pay for my gc renewal or lost.

4.  I can renew my passport anywhere in the US. Not sure how the UK embassy requires passport renewal but for PH, we have to go in person in the Ph Embassy and I can only go to one specific embassy. 

5. I can vote.

6. I can go to a lot of countries without getting a visa(This doesn't matter to you since you have the same if not more benefit as UK citizen).

7. Get my husband out of the AOS.

8. Can be eligible for public benefits if anything unexpected happen.

9. AND FINALLY DONE WITH USCIS. 

Edited by POA

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Funny Story I was called to attend jury duty while I was still a legal permanent resident.! here in North Indiana !

I did call their office and brought this to their attention to which they quickly apologised and said that they would take me off the register. :D

I became a citizen last July and as others have said. I chose to become one  partially because of the current political climate. but also to help ensure that I can do ( if need be ) my civic duty. I have made the US my home and I am not planning on moving back to the UK any time soon. BUT !, that being said. it keeps doors of opportunity open. I am kicking myself that I did not become a citizen sooner. I can now vote and apply for Federal jobs if something comes up. 

But most of all its cool as heck to run around with two Passports :)

26 minutes ago, Gary_UK said:

Funny Story I was called to attend jury duty while I was still a legal permanent resident.! here in North Indiana !

I did call their office and brought this to their attention to which they quickly apologised and said that they would take me off the register. :D

I became a citizen last July and as others have said. I chose to become one  partially because of the current political climate. but also to help ensure that I can do ( if need be ) my civic duty. I have made the US my home and I am not planning on moving back to the UK any time soon. BUT !, that being said. it keeps doors of opportunity open. I am kicking myself that I did not become a citizen sooner. I can now vote and apply for Federal jobs if something comes up. 

At my USC interview, when asked why I wanted to become a citizen, I said: to travel with an American passport.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Finland
Timeline
26 minutes ago, Gary_UK said:

I can't count the number of times I received a jury summons while a LPR...  Kept sending it back with the same comment, to the point where I think on the last time around I just sent the form back without any other documentation telling them to go look in their files to find the copy of my GC... 

Both my son and I are now dual citizens, and I can once again brag to him that I can visit one more country in the world without a visa than he can, though we both have the same passport...  For me, it is the country where I was born, which makes a special exception to people born there - not that I expect to visit there anytime soon...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.