Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About jkstark

  • Rank
    Senior Member
  • Birthday November 8
  • Member # 256529

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • City
  • State
    New York

Immigration Info

  • Immigration Status
    Naturalization (approved)
  • Place benefits filed at
    Lewisville TX Lockbox
  • Local Office
    Buffalo NY
  • Country

Immigration Timeline & Photos

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. I believe that this is referring to the latest occupation/job - ie in your case it would be the current employment situation... First to last is chronological - the last is the most recent or current. That would at least be the logical language based determination - you'll also see that when asking for more than one, most forms will ask for them in reverse chronological - ie. the most recent first, the next recent second and so on..
  2. I may be off the mark here completely, but my impression would be that if you had income outside of the US *prior* to your immigrating to the US, and prior to you being considered an immigrant, then you are not liable for US taxes on that income. Ie. you are liable for taxes on all income once you are considered an immigrant or citizen of the US - but until you have arrived in the US as an immigrant, you cannot be held liable for taxes on income at that time. Once you are a resident or citizen, you are liable for US taxes on worldwide income. Again - don't take this as official legal advise, but my understanding is that the law is set up that way...
  3. Congrats! That actually seems like a rather fast process to get to the interview, though each case and each field office is different. Now that they have scheduled an interview, there is no guarantee yet as to when that interview will be. You will simply have to wait for the notice to arrive in the mail to get the actual interview date. Depending on the office, it could be very soon or it could be quite some time in the future. I would not pin any hopes for it to be in December though - if I recall right, they like to give more notice than that... However - your case may vary...
  4. You can always point them to this page as well: https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/temporary-i-551-stamps-and-mrivs
  5. I'll concur that a lawyer is not necessary, but I would make sure to go over all your paperwork with a fine tooth comb so to speak to make sure you have everything that is asked for, and that everything is filled out correctly. Essentially, you want to make sure that you do no become a blip on the radar and then have something go horribly wrong because of a paperwork error... Otherwise, this should be straight forward; somewhat similar to what I went through, for other reasons... Good luck!
  6. If you are using a VPN, or even at times something like the Chrome web accelerator, you might see this kind of a message even if you have not been on the site. Essentially, the site can only see the address that you are coming from, and VPNs and accelerators will potentially change this as the traffic is routed. As a result, it is not difficult to have multiple people end up with the same "originating" address, which then causes the server to block some access. If you are not using anything like that, it is also possible that your ISP is using a shared IP address for multiple households, causing a similar thing to occur. Lastly, it is possible that your machine is infected causing traffic, though that would be highly unlikely to be traffic going to a USCIS portal such as that one, so I am going to say that the chances of an infection causing this are close enough to zero to be ignored.
  7. Actually, for context, the document is part of the CUNY site for Citizenship Application Assistance that is provided by the university for individuals to apply if they qualify. Nothing in the document mentions anything about undocumented immigrants at all, though the rights technically remain the same. The root site for the document is http://www1.cuny.edu/sites/citizenship-now/ The chapter is from this document: http://www1.cuny.edu/sites/citizenship-now/wp-content/uploads/sites/12/media-assets/2017-Call-In-Training-Manual.pdf I've not read through the entire document, but it does appear to be a reasonably good guide for immigration, along with pointers to where to turn if you have concerns and/or further questions. For those in the NY Metro area, of note is the fact that they (CUNY) also offers free immigration assistance. Detestable? Not in my mind, but rather a good resource to have for those who find themselves in need of some extra assistance...
  8. You should be able to fill the form using Acrobat Reader; the full version of Acrobat and the Typewriter tool is not necessary to fill in documents that have FORM FIELDS defined within the document. To me, your image looks like the font that was used was not actually installed correctly on your computer for some reason...
  9. Interestingly, Finland has a large number of Somalis who have immigrated to there - so it is not just Minnesota.... Then again, there are a lot of similarities between Minnesota and the Nordics...
  10. At one point when I was going through that, I thought I had seen something about the 6 month requirement, but may well have been looking at something wrong. However, I did not (at least intentionally) say anything about having to have any other application in process to renew a GC - other than the renewal application for the GC itself if you needed to renew that... (I was here for about 17 or so years on a GC before naturalizing myself...)
  11. You can apply for citizenship as long as you still have 6 months on your GC AFAIK. If during that process your card expires or comes up to the point of where you need to apply to get it renewed then that will be the something you'll have to handle at that time - I believe that you still have to have a valid card or an application in process to renew it. Remember that the card validity does not indicate the validity of your status as a LPR - it is only the evidence of that status. When you apply for a renewal, you can get an extension letter or a stamp in your passport, so that in and of itself should not be the deciding point. Instead, go for naturalization if you feel that is the right direction for you, and thus stop the need to regularly pay USCIS for renewals, but be aware that you might still need to renew your card one more time unless your local office moves quickly on the N400. Others can elaborate more - I'm not absolutely certain that you need to have a valid card at the time of naturalization as long as you have started the process more than 6 months prior to the expiration of the card.
  12. I'll add on as a comment to the idea of a boarding school, be it in the US or elsewhere... I was in boarding school for most of my school years, and with it being an international school, the experience was incredible. I can't speak more highly about the friendships that have stood the test of time till now, even though my classmates are spread across the globe. The concept of living and studying with people from all around the world is something that I think that everybody should have an opportunity to do - it expands on tolerance and understanding of everybody in ways that nothing else can. With everybody speaking english, the immersiveness is immediate and lasting when it comes to language abilities. I know that the school I was at has exchange programs as well, that are available on a sliding scale financially. If you need and/or want more info, PM me...
  13. Pictures are pictures, no matter what they are printed on - if you are submitting them just make sure that they look reasonable and look like what the image is intended to be. At some point at an interview you'll want to have photos with you as well, and even in that case I don't think it matters, though those will not be left behind, so you can bring "photo realistic" ones with you. I hesitate to even think of what is a "real" photographic print these days - I spent years as a photographer and working with actual photographs - what you get now are good, but generally no longer true photographic prints in any case, but that is a different issue entirely... Send whatever you can come up with easiest and go with that...
  14. Don't know the Florida rules directly, but in most cases to get to the appointment you typically need a licensed driver to go with you... You don't have a license there yet, so you can't drive yourself alone... I did drive to the test when I took it many years ago, but I had my father-in-law with me. Even if you would be permitted based on the timeline to use your out-of-country license for a time, I would not attempt to show up for a test without another licensed driver with you - the examiner would probably look at it unkindly... I managed to get my original license in Finland in a similar way; we had been living in southeast asia for a while, and got my first license there. When I moved back to Finland, I showed up at the license office and put my car keys on the counter when I went to turn in the paperwork and got a funny look from the clerk - showed them that I was licensed and was permitted to drive on the foreign license for the short amount of time that I had been back, and all went OK, but the look was priceless when they saw the keys and asked me how I got there...
  15. Pretty thin information that you are providing here, but... You would need to ask why there is a delay, and possibly consider firing your lawyer if you don't get an answer that meets your approval. A good question around here will be do you have circumstances going on that really call for having a lawyer in the first place - the vast majority of people here who have gone the CR1 route have done it themselves. In any case, if the lawyer is not doing their job, then why have a lawyer or at least that lawyer at all?
  • Create New...