bkksux

WHAT!! 221G for "domicile" and "bank" issues??

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I want to make sure this shows up in search results, cuz my fiance had a HORRIBLE experience at U.S. Embassy in Bangkok. So let me start by saying this is talking about the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok, Thailand on Wireless Road and regarding the K1 (Fiance) Visa application and interview process, which has taken us over 6+ months of work so far and we still have not accomplished a visa yet... let the venting begin:

== K1 INTERVIEW A.K.A. PACKET 4 AT U.S. EMBASSY IN BANGKOK ==

Background:

First of all, I went to the BKK Embassy a few years back for another personal issue and the staff then were pretty friendly and helpful... apparently that has TOTALLY CHANGED... or the VISA people are a VERY different crowd.

Everyone was a huge jerk to my fiance. She was dressed politely, speaks English rather well, and was extremely well prepared (and is well educated). And no, she's not a bar girl...

Super slow + grumpy + incompetent + illegal:

Obviously the recent Chiang Mai Embassy closing for repairs has probably added stress and work to the BKK Embassy, but it doesn't excuse the disgusting level of snideness these people direct at hopeful families or students. It's their JOB, and you are legally representing the US GOVERNMENT. Typically in U.S. government offices I've been pleasantly surprised that, even when they are having a "grumpy" day, they still are generally professional and DO THEIR JOB. This gang at the BKK Embassy is NOT the same, I guess. It seemed very clear, not just from my fiance's 221G but from the several other Thai ladies next to her that also got 221G as well that they are purposefully using this "tool" right now as a new way to lessen their workload during the end of the year... and it's delaying the marriage and/or very sensitive plans of honest, hard-working people for not just a few days but even MONTHS (more on that explained below).

Despite getting there at 715am for her 8am appointment, she didn't actually start her interview until around 10:15am. It took nearly 4 HOURS for her to get fully in and out...

The most ridiculous part? Her "interview" was only around 30 seconds. And if you haven't heard, the "interview" is now just walking up to a glass window (standing there, i.e. like you are ordering from McDonald's) and answering a few b*tchy questions from the Officer you are unlucky enough to be given (they apparently limit the K1 cases to the same one Officer per each day, now). No private sit down, no discussion, no real "interview" at all.

On top of that, the Officers now have the Information Desk (low level Thai staff with poor English skills) do most of the "interview" for them. They ask your fiance questions during the check-in process and enter the answers in the computer. This is where my fiance's problems seem to have begun, as her profile then somehow ended up saying that her sponsor (me) was living permanently in Thailand and not the USA (100% not true, have been in US past 1+ year almost entirely). And for the record, this is surely completely illegal under U.S. law to be having Thai nationals not only interviewing, but formulating 221G evidence demands for visa applicants... (after the interview finished, this Thai "desk" girl also initially gave my fiance the totally wrong lady's K1 REJECTION LETTER because of the fact her English was so terrible, she couldn't even understand the document).

K1 interview now 100% pointless:

Literally the Officer just asked my fiance to "swear in" (very ironic, since his "desk" girl had already asked most of the questions, albeit inaccurately) and then asked her where I lived. "In ____ (city), (state), USA" was her answer. "But is he visiting you in Thailand now?" the Officer asked next, and she answers, "Yes, he came here the past few months to help with my K1 visa process."

Without another comment or question, he said "okay now go out and get the paper waiting for you at the Information Desk" ... she didn't even realize the "interview" was over, but it was! The desk girl handed my fiance a 221G document (which apparently had already been prepared by the desk girl during the 3-hour period my fiance was waiting for the Officer interview... derived from the girl's own faulty information about my country of residence; now I could be wrong on who prepared the 221G but unless the Officer somehow typed up the document and printed it out in the 30 seconds between pushing my fiance out the door and sending her to the desk, then NO... it was surely not composed by the Officer).

THE 221G REASON? They said we didn't provide DOMICILE evidence and that my bank account statements didn't mention the "date of account opening"... but I hadn't claimed any cash assets on the I-134 so that shouldn't even apply... the 9+ months of bank statements I provided were simply to back up the self-employed tax returns that I had submitted already (together with bank statements) in PACKET 1 + PACKET 3 as recommended by my visa agency and by dozens of other users across the web who had applied for K1 as a self-employed sponsor. Either the Officer failed to review I-134 documents properly, or was simply finding a purposefully illegitimate reason to quickly issue a 221G.

Did the Officer glance over some of the documents from Packet 3, Packet 4, and Packet 1? Yes, he did, it seemed, at least for a minute prior to interview. But his decision was apparently finalized on the data inputted by the desk girl, which is ludicrous (which said that I didn't live in the USA, etc). When my fiance realized it was a 221G she told the "girl" that WAIT, she did have DOMICILE information and that the I-134 included tax returns and bank statements... "NO! It doesn't matter! You must mail only... just give [221g] to your boyfriend!" was the girl's reply. My fiance says, "What, why is that? Isn't that the purpose of the Packet 4 and interview? How long with it take to put together more documents [that don't even apply to our situation] just to mail back to the Embassy again?" ... the girl then says angrily, "Yes that's because we are so busy now and ready for a long holiday... so don't hurry to send them, just wait until sometime in the new year!"

Now my Thai visa will expire soon, my fiance's apartment lease will expire soon, and we are (edited) out of luck. Plus, the "bank assets proof" they requested doesn't exist, because I don't have (nor claimed) tons of cash in the bank.

(Edited) BKK EMBASSY for lying about not only our profile data, but demanding docs that didn't apply to our case, and then confessing your true motivation was skirting your duty to avoid work.

SOUNDS JUST LIKE THE THAI GOVERNMENT AT THIS POINT...

post edited for language

Edited by Ontarkie

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Same way in Manila Embassy also..

Their have some Filipino/Filipina's who ask 3-4 questions each at a couple different window stations first before the interview itself takes place. They gather some basic information and "check for consistency" basically so the CO has a good idea when he looks briefly at the file before the interview itself. Sometimes they just ask questions... sometimes they ask for other documentation.. some embassies are a bit random on this process(Manila especially as they don't ask for a lot of your supporting evidence sometimes)

And when you book an interview at 8am..... so do like 20-30 other people.... Everyone goes at like 7am and then stands in line... It's just a generic "time slot". Pretty sure thats the same at all embassies.

As to the interview, thats strictly at the discretion of the CO... so if there was complications for your fiance when talking initially so some of the Thai staff, the CO could see the discrepancies immediately from them and what was in your original packet that they review right before hand.

Most of what you said is pretty much standard routine for most interview processes. Sorry that the staff seemed to be rude though, that is not very professional of them; but everything else seems pretty standard practice in US embassies.

Edited by Ben&Zian

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Post edited for language. Any future attempts to bypass the language filter will result in administrative action.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Are you sure that you met the self-employed income limits?

Are you also sure that the bank account information wasn't pertaining to domicile? Domicile info should not be difficult for you supply or re-supply.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Same way in Manila Embassy also..

Their have some Filipino/Filipina's who ask 3-4 questions each at a couple different window stations first before the interview itself takes place. They gather some basic information and "check for consistency" basically so the CO has a good idea when he looks briefly at the file before the interview itself. Sometimes they just ask questions... sometimes they ask for other documentation.. some embassies are a bit random on this process(Manila especially as they don't ask for a lot of your supporting evidence sometimes)

And when you book an interview at 8am..... so do like 20-30 other people.... Everyone goes at like 7am and then stands in line... It's just a generic "time slot". Pretty sure thats the same at all embassies.

As to the interview, thats strictly at the discretion of the CO... so if there was complications for your fiance when talking initially so some of the Thai staff, the CO could see the discrepancies immediately from them and what was in your original packet that they review right before hand.

Most of what you said is pretty much standard routine for most interview processes. Sorry that the staff seemed to be rude though, that is not very professional of them; but everything else seems pretty standard practice in US embassies.

Yah unfortunately Thailand and Philippines seem to have the most b.s. procedures due to saturation? Obama just pulled in record taxes, and U.S. citizens now can't even open a bank account in Thailand without filling our IRS forms, no joke... and yet what we are supposed to believe there is no budget to get interviews done in an accurate yet timely manner... ridiculous.

When a poorly educated Thai national can input 100% wrong data and screw over your interview and then force you to wait at least 1-2 more months... something is wrong with the picture eh!!

Are you sure that you met the self-employed income limits?

Are you also sure that the bank account information wasn't pertaining to domicile? Domicile info should not be difficult for you supply or re-supply.

100% certain. Bank info was requested on a 2nd document so not related to Domicile request.

One lady on Facebook told us maybe they are just "verifying" the bank statements are real (my self-employed income)... which is hilarious, cuz a letter from my bank would be way easier to forge than 9+ months of detailed statements.

It's possible that since you had the bank statements they just assumed you were trying to show them what's in the bank.

Also, it seems that those forms are sent to the information desk just via the printer network. While he may have never have gotten up to get the paper, he easily could have had the information put into the system since it has to go there anyways and simply hit print and it went to the girl who did it.

But I agree, sometimes their minds are made up before you even get there.

Do you have a place in the US? You said that your fiances lease ends soon, and that your visa ends soon, so I'm guessing you aren't living in the US right now. Some embassys want like rental agreements and electric bills and such for domicile proof, not just a promise of where you'll live.

But as other's said, you didn't get a denial, send in what they asked for and you should be fine.

Did they ask for Domicile proof AND a new I-134, a cosponsor maybe?

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

While this may or may not be seen by the OP.... I'd like to say, I agreed with the process of the Bangkok embassy, as with how the Manila embassy performs there process. The Manila embassy, while very much like the Bangkok process, was smooth and orderly and very straight forward.

The issue seems to be the lack of education or awareness by yourself and your fiance, with NO disrespect intended, but had you simply searched here, or even just through Google for embassy reviews you would have had a basic understanding of how the embassy worked with their appointments and the process.

You said... and I quote "She was dressed politely, speaks English rather well, and was extremely well prepared (and is well educated). And no, she's not a bar girl..."

Immediately "speaks english rather well" caught my attention...... Then you proceeded to say... again and I quote "On top of that, the Officers now have the Information Desk (low level Thai staff with poor English skills) do most of the "interview" for them. They ask your fiance questions during the check-in process and enter the answers in the computer. This is where my fiance's problems seem to have begun, as her profile then somehow ended up saying that her sponsor (me) was living permanently in Thailand and not the USA".......

Now.... back to had you done any research at all about the interview process, you would have read that no where during the interview process does the beneficiary even have to be able to speak English... she could have gone through the whole process in her native language. This would have negated your view of her "Speaking english rather well" and the "low level Thai staff with poor english skills". She does not even have to speak english to the CO during the interview itself, she could use a translator. (This would raise the question ofcourse how the two of you communicate; but that would be simple because she could then speak english to the CO who, I would guess in your mind speaks English "fairly" well)

You did not do any research or even have an idea of how the interview process worked. Others here and myself all have agreed that this type of process your fiance experienced was fairly routine and the norm. So before you go blaming "Obama and taxes" and "Poorly educated Thai nationals", maybe re-evaluate what you did before the interview to make sure you both were prepared....

And while I 100% respect your right to voice your opinion, you need to just accept part of this issue on yourself for lack of preparation.

I do wish the best for you and hopefuilly as soon as they get the requested documents that the process can proceed and have a successful result. Good luck to you.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Oh my...

I have to say I am just shaking my head at all this... I dont know if its Ben or Zian doing the writing above- but yup.

The OP here- who creatively named himself bkksux (ha ha) seems to be complaining about the 221g he got for domicile and bank info- which is a perfectly understandable rant. But whats rather silly is complaining about how they did not even seem to look at documents from the other packets. That they waited for 3 hours.

Because as many on here know- many CO's review the packets prior to the interviews. Not having it reviewed in front of you does not mean it was not reviewed.It also explains the 3 hours you waited. It also means since your 221g was only for 2 things that the rest of your packet WAS reviewed and deemed sufficient.

Now you can pout and rant all you want about the 134 requirements about the bank statements. Nothing you can do about it. Totally their discretion. Your bank statements were not being used as proof of assets- and no ones asking for them to be used that way. They were supporting evidence to your income. Im sorry if you are unhappy with the CO wanting more info about them. Im not even sure why you sent them? Countless sources said so? really? Thats odd. I can see countless sources suggesting it may be helpful. But you have to have a specific set of circumstances for it to be helpful. Did you include spreadsheets with monthly profit/loss statements that matched the bank account? A letter of self employment? You just sent the taxes and bank statements?

And honestly asking for proof of your domicile isnt that crazy because USCs dont need a visa to go there. Unless youve been there for 60-90 days- and since you are saying your time is up, Im guessing its been the 3 months.

Just submit back the stuff they asked for. Did they keep her passport?? If so, when you send back the stuff they will put the visa in her passport.

Several ppl have commented that what your fiancé went through is standard process. It was the same process for the interview in my country. A Swedish national lady took my papers and asked questions prior to the interview with the US IO (in Swedish at a window). Also the interview was at a window... already back in 2003 it was at a window ..this is nothing new...

Name calling to ppl that are trying to help you realize that what she went through is nothing out of the ordinary, isn't going to help you. Some self reflecting might. In any case your only option is to comply with the 221g or not get a visa.

Also.. there are several embassies that keep the passport...

Edited by Suss&Camm

K1 Visa & AOS

Spoiler

2016-03-19         i-129F Sent
2016-03-24         i-129F NOA1
2016-06-14         i-129F NOA2
2016-07-08         NVC Rec'd
2016-07-12         Case #
2016-07-13         NVC Left
2016-07-14         Consulate Rec'd
2016-07-19         Medical
2016-08-11         Interview Date (approved)
2016-09-06         Issued
2016-09-09         Visa In Hand
2016-10-19         POE Dallas Fort-Worth
2016-10-30         Our Halloween Wedding

2016-11-16         AOS package sent (i-485, i-131, i-765, i-864, g-325a, DS-3025)
2016-11-17         AOS package delivered to Chicago lockbox
2016-11-23         NOA1's by e-mail and text (@ 10:30 pm CT)
2016-11-26         NOA1 hard copies
2016-12-03         Biometrics appointment in mail
2016-12-07         Biometrics (Early walk-in Desoto, appointment was for Dec 13th)

2017-02-17         Notice of card in production by email and text (@8:00 am CT, i-765) - Day 92

2017-02-22         Notice of approval by email and text (@1:00 pm CT, i-765 and i-131) - Day 97

2017-02-22         Notice of card being mailed by email and text (@7:00 pm CT, i-765) - Day 97

2017-02-25         EAD/AP combo card arrived in mail - Day 100

2017-03-03         Notice of green card in production by email and text (@4:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-03         Notice of approval by email and text (@6:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-11          Green card arrived in mail  - Day 113

2018-12-03          First day to file for ROC (i-751)

giphy.gif

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

You made a lot of accusations in your post. You accused the US Embassy of doing things illegally based on your perception of how your fianceew was treated. People telling you that it was normal, you call a troll. Anyone who disagrees based on their experience is trolling?

If you want sympathy and everyone to agree with you, then you will be disappointed.

If you want help, then be nice to the folks trying to help you.

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

A post has been removed, and administrative action has been taken against the OP's account, for violation of these provisions of the Terms of Service:

"Make comments in a Post either direct or implied toward another member that are purposely designed to upset, antagonize, make fun of, belittle, harass, insult, or otherwise instigate an argument that takes away from the personal enjoyment of the Service by other users"

and

"Restrict or inhibit any other user from using and enjoying the Forums."

TBoneTX

VJ Moderation

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.