gerrard.allam

Had Interview after submitting N-400 but still not approved

13 posts in this topic

Hello VJ community

My wife had her interview today at USCIS and passed all the requirements. However she was not recommended for approval and he application was marked as: A decision cannot be made yet about your application on Form N-652. The immigration officer explained that her I-751 is still pending hence why they cannot recommend her for approval. She did her biometrics over a year ago and the I-751 processing time has been extended since there is a backlog of cases. Has this happened to anyone else? It seems a bit odd that they determine you are eligible to become a citizen but still want to go through the permanent resident process. Any information would be helpful. 

Thank you

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

This is why we tell people that there is no such thing as a combo interview. Your local office does not have to do it. Until that has processed citizenship is on hold or supervisor will deny and you will have to refile after I-751 is approved. Also you cannot appeal the denial. 

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
1 hour ago, gerrard.allam said:

Hello VJ community

My wife had her interview today at USCIS and passed all the requirements. However she was not recommended for approval and he application was marked as: A decision cannot be made yet about your application on Form N-652. The immigration officer explained that her I-751 is still pending hence why they cannot recommend her for approval. She did her biometrics over a year ago and the I-751 processing time has been extended since there is a backlog of cases. Has this happened to anyone else? It seems a bit odd that they determine you are eligible to become a citizen but still want to go through the permanent resident process. Any information would be helpful. 

Thank you

To answer your question. Each petition are processed as separate, individual petitions. The I-400 was processed according to its rules and regulations that do not pertain to I-751. 

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

36 minutes ago, Pinkrlion said:

This is why we tell people that there is no such thing as a combo interview. 

@Crazy Cat and others who had it would disagree. It does exist and it does happen.

37 minutes ago, Pinkrlion said:

Your local office does not have to do it. Until that has processed citizenship is on hold 

100% agree with this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
11 hours ago, Pinkrlion said:

This is why we tell people that there is no such thing as a combo interview.

But there IS such a thing.  An email from our local office 2 days prior to wife's N-400 interview instructed me to be there, and it literally stated ours would be a combination interview......and it was.  First part was the I-751 where we both were asked a few questions, and I presented updated evidence since initial I-751 submission date.  Then the officer conducted wife's N-400 interview.  By the time we got home 45 minutes later, the N-400 status was "Oath ceremony will be scheduled".  Next day, the I-751 status changed to "case was approved". 

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

I had my N400 interview on 2/15 with my i751 pending since October 2021. After the test and interview the officer did tell me he was recommending me for citizenship but did explain that the pending i751 would hold things up. He said he would work on getting it approved so could be put forward for the oath ceremony. When we filed i751, we lived in TN-application was at the TX service center, we moved to CT this past summer. After the interview, that afternoon, we got a notification that the i751 had been moved jurisdiction and would be processed. The next day, 2/16 we got a notification that the i751 had been approved and an oath ceremony letter mailed. We did receive a letter from USCIS yesterday confirming i751 was approved but I wouldn’t get a card after being approved for N400. I’m not sure if we were just lucky that i751 got approved so quickly or because the application was so old?! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
15 hours ago, Pinkrlion said:

This is why we tell people that there is no such thing as a combo interview

Who is "we"?

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
15 hours ago, Pinkrlion said:

This is why we tell people that there is no such thing as a combo interview. Your local office does not have to do it. Until that has processed citizenship is on hold or supervisor will deny and you will have to refile after I-751 is approved. Also you cannot appeal the denial. 

We had combo interview last October. Both forms were approved and 6 weeks later my wife had her citizenship oath. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Wife had 'combo' interview and both I751 and N400 were approved same time. In fact they actually never interviewed her for the I751. The IO only asked is that your husband sitting over there and she said yes and that was that. He typed some things on the computer and moved straight to N400. While I was sitting in sitting area I was getting real time updates in USCIS tracking as the IO was updating the system. It was so surreal.  Haha she had her naturalization cert (same day) before official I751 approval showed up in the mail a week later. I always say she had a combo approval not interview. 😀

So combo interview is definitely a thing but it's not always the outcome as in op's case and yes sometimes field offices play a role. 

What I often recommend here is file N400 when you are eligible and hope for a combo interview. If combo doesn't happen then on the plus side you've already gotten the ball rolling on N400. So yes combo interview is a thing but NOT always the outcome.

Edited by nastra30

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
On 2/26/2024 at 7:59 PM, Pinkrlion said:

This is why we tell people that there is no such thing as a combo interview. Your local office does not 

On 2/26/2024 at 7:59 PM, Pinkrlion said:

Last week, I had a combo interview for my N-400 and I-751 applications. Although I had not specifically prepared for a combo interview, I was fortunate to have my wife present during the appointment. Following the completion of my N-400 interview, the interviewing officer invited my wife to join the interview, and we proceeded with the I-751 interview.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
On 2/26/2024 at 5:47 PM, gerrard.allam said:

Hello VJ community

Thank you

did you hear back yet?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.