socaldude

Tourist Visa - Are frequent trips to US permitted?

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi all,

I have a valid 10-year B1/B2 visa and have very close relatives in the United States that I would like visit on a frequent basis.

By frequent basis I'm referring to every 3 months - staying for 3 months - going back overseas - then returning after 3 months to stay for another 3 months.

Full disclosure/transparency - I have aging/elderly family members in the U.S. that I want to visit often and also help out my younger relatives looking after elderly folks, hence the reason for frequent visits.

I don't intend to stay for full 6-months to raise any concerns with Immigration about abusing a visitor visa. Therefore, I'd like to know realistically can I aim to stay 3-months, have a 3-months gap overseas, then return for another 3-months to the U.S.

I think explanation is very clear, but just be safe, let me further illustrate with an example below:

January to March (visit my relatives in the U.S. on visitor visa 3-months stay)
April to June (go back and stay overseas which is my primary residence, since I am not a U.S. citizen or resident)
July to September (visit my relatives again in the U.S. on same visitor visa for 3-months stay)
October to December (go back and stay overseas)
Repeat the same following year

Lastly, I am happy overseas and have no intention to immigrate to the United States, but just trying to be practical to view the situation from the "lens" of U.S. Customs/Immigration - will the frequent quarterly visits appear to them as if I'm trying to live in the United States on a tourist visa?

Thank you in advance and I appreciate any replies to my questions.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Don't play with fire. With your plans, it's almost guaranteed that they will not let you in after the second or third visit. The unspoken rule says it's advisable to spend twice the time outside of the US than your visit before coming back. 

In addition, it seems that you are coming to work, as per: 

58 minutes ago, socaldude said:

help out my younger relatives looking after elderly folks, hence the reason for frequent visits.

That can be easily construed as work, even though you don't receive financial compensation. Just don't do it.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

1 hour ago, socaldude said:

Therefore, I'd like to know realistically can I aim to stay 3-months, have a 3-months gap overseas, then return for another 3-months to the U.S.

That is not realistic. Just because you’re not staying for full consecutive 6 months, doesn’t mean this proposed plan will not raise eyebrows.

Customs/Immigration - will the frequent quarterly visits appear to them as if I'm trying to live in the United States on a tourist visa?

Yes. You’re spending 6 months out of a year every year with your pattern of travel. How is that visiting for tourist purposes? 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Redro said:

If you are able to WFH remember you are not supposed to work in the US even if you are working for a company that has no connection to the US. 

Great point.

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

example below:

April to June (go back and stay overseas which is my primary residence, since I am not a U.S. citizen or resident)
July to September (visit my relatives again in the U.S. on same visitor visa for 3-months stay)

Your first visit they'll ask your purpose and duration of stay.  They may question why or how can you stay away from your home for 3 months, or they just might rubber stamp your passport.

Second visit there's at least 50/50 chance they will question why you have stayed

so long on your previous visit and returned so quickly.  They may ask if you are working while in the US.

Third visit there is a good chance you are taken to secondary and grilled about your intentions and if you will or have worked while in the US.  They may offer you to voluntarily revoke your application for entry and send you back on the next flight.  Or they may revoke your visa and remove you which will apply a ban.

Fourth and subsequent attempts will have a greater chance of CBP revoking your visa and applying a ban.

At max, 4 months visit and 8 months away would reduce the chance of CBP questioning your travel pattern.

Also, and this may be a sign of my age, but travelling every three months, especially internationally and having to deal with customs, seems physically draining to me. 

Edited by SteveInBostonI130

Your travel plans will raise suspicions with CBP… so i would for sure prepare for you to be denied entry on one of these trips. It is not worth the risk at all, especially if it’s to see family. Develop a more normal and less suspicious travel plan.

6 hours ago, socaldude said:

Hi all,

I have a valid 10-year B1/B2 visa and have very close relatives in the United States that I would like visit on a frequent basis.

By frequent basis I'm referring to every 3 months - staying for 3 months - going back overseas - then returning after 3 months to stay for another 3 months.

Full disclosure/transparency - I have aging/elderly family members in the U.S. that I want to visit often and also help out my younger relatives looking after elderly folks, hence the reason for frequent visits.

I don't intend to stay for full 6-months to raise any concerns with Immigration about abusing a visitor visa. Therefore, I'd like to know realistically can I aim to stay 3-months, have a 3-months gap overseas, then return for another 3-months to the U.S.

I think explanation is very clear, but just be safe, let me further illustrate with an example below:

Lastly, I am happy overseas and have no intention to immigrate to the United States, but just trying to be practical to view the situation from the "lens" of U.S. Customs/Immigration - will the frequent quarterly visits appear to them as if I'm trying to live in the United States on a tourist visa?

Thank you in advance and I appreciate any replies to my questions.

Looks like you intend to use a visitor visa to live in the US part-time.  That won't fly.  It might work for the first couple of admissions, but after that you may get hauled to secondary and a stern warning.  You risk losing your visa.

4 hours ago, socaldude said:

Hi everyone,

Topic author here - Just want to say a BIG Thank You to each and everyone of you who responded with some very great and valid points.

Okay sounds good, then I will deviate from this plan as I truly have good intentions but I can certainly put myself into CBP shoes and see it from their angle that this plan may appear suspicious.

I certainly want to the right thing and be a law-abiding person, so I'll just have to make less frequent trips.

Thanks again, great discussion, much appreciated 😇

I dont know which country you come from, but I have quite a few friends who are EU citizens, all retired before 35, and did make frequent trips into the US, similar to what you proposed and they did it for a few years without issues, although they had documentation of their financial status.  In general, what people are saying in this thread is correct, however for some reason, Americans have some pre-conceived notion that people are suppose to work their entire lives and anyone who doesnt, must have something wrong with them.  

If your financial situation is strong, and you can prove this if asked, I dont see you having a problem.  If your financial situation is more normal, then I would agree with the other posts in this thread.  In the past I have had extensive conversations with US Commercial service officers as well as Consular officers and even they will say, if you have the money, they dont really care too much how long your in the US, as long as youre spending money.  Ive had this repeated to me throughout the years in various US Embassies in multiple countries.  I dont know your situation, but I can tell you with 100% certainty, there are double standards. 

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

Timeline

Wait..

what happened to your CR1?

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400 

Filed: Timeline
1 minute ago, Rocio0010 said:

Wait..

what happened to your CR1?

Great question - I was formally a US resident but was not able to maintain it and due to family/personal reasons relocated overseas where I am permanently based and originally from anyways. I enjoyed living the U.S. previously but equally happy where I am overseas, so I'll continue visiting within the recommended parameters. If my situation changes and I intend to re-immigrate in the future, I have no issues going about it the correct way.

But I have very close family members Stateside, hence the need to want to visit them regularly. Believe me when I say that I have absolutely no intention of immigrating to the United States at this moment and the frequent visits on a tourist visa, is not my plan of living in the U.S. "part-time" - although for what it's worth I hope readers can appreciate the fact that I'm able to respect the rules and view this from the angle of CBP therefore do not intend to abuse that right.

Thanks again everyone - gotta love a good conversation with constructive feedback - You guys are awesome, thanks for sharing your viewpoints.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.