roninlongshanks

Finally found a woman that I want to marry

27 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

I found a woman that I want to marry from Kenya.  We both have a lot of the same values, & interests.  We've been video chatting almost every day for quite a while now, & want to take the next step.

My overhead is about $1,100/month to live that includes the child support that I'm paying.  I make $2,100/ net.

I don't know anything about the process except for the hours of research that I've been doing & it seems like a lot of the info chronology is contradictory.

Can anybody please tell me what to expect, or anything that's not on websites?

Do we have to meet each other first?  Can we do online marriage?

Should we do a tourist visa first?

Thank you for your time.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Are you asking if you can afford someone from Kenya for $1100/month?    Those type of transactions are...just no.

First, are you a USC?

If no, then are you an LPR?

If no, then that's that.  Nothing really to do other than to keep chatting and go visit her.

If no to USC and yes to LPR, then the only option, if the relationship is genuine, is to meet, spend lots of time together, and file for F2A spouse of LPR visa.

If USC, then meet, spend lots of time together, and file for either K1 fiance or CR1 spouse visa.  Spouse visa is superior.

Before any of this, save up as much as you can.  The above processes are expensive, both in fees and in expenses to visit and establish a relationship.

@roninlongshanks You sounds really in love but as others said I think you need to understand the immigration process more before giving this step. 

First try to meet her in person. I don’t know if you are a young person or not, but internet is tricky. Real life can be really different.

Besides that marriage is a really important decision the immigration process does not make things smooth.

Nobody thinks on this part when they are in love but you will be tied for 10 years (depending on the circumstances) financially to this person if you bring her to the US.

Based on your salary you look to be at the limit so maybe you will probably need a co-sponsor for the immigration side. For the real life one you are tight. 

If your future wife came here in K1 visa (will take around 2 years to get her here) or if she tried to enter using tourist visa and marry here to adjust status (this will be illegal) she will not be able to work for a long period of time.

If you marry and apply for CR1 will take at least 2 years to get her here. She can work immediately. Does she have any qualifications or a job career that she want to do here? 

Like I said, immigration is not easy or fast, and is not a right, so does not mean that because she will be your wife that you can just bring her tomorrow.

For online marriage you will need to meet her in person before the marriage is really valid by the USCIS. 

Maybe you can go to Kenya and live with her there. Can this be a option?

Check all the guides here in avisa Journey and please do not believe in shortcuts or magic promises. This will be a difficult and bumpy road. 

Be careful and prepare.

Good luck 

Edited by PaulaCJohnny

2 hours ago, roninlongshanks said:

I found a woman that I want to marry from Kenya.  We both have a lot of the same values, & interests.  We've been video chatting almost every day for quite a while now, & want to take the next step.

My overhead is about $1,100/month to live that includes the child support that I'm paying.  I make $2,100/ net.

I don't know anything about the process except for the hours of research that I've been doing & it seems like a lot of the info chronology is contradictory.

Can anybody please tell me what to expect, or anything that's not on websites?

Do we have to meet each other first?  Can we do online marriage?

Should we do a tourist visa first?

Thank you for your time.

Unfortunately, you do not make enough to sponsor an immigrant.  You will need to look at getting a better/a second job.

Very unlikely she would get a tourist visa.

You will need to meet (probably multiple times) and spend as much time together as possible before petitioning, to offset the inherent issues with a high fraud country like Kenya.

It can be done, but you need to do as much reading and research as possible.  It will take several years before she can move here, and it will cost thousands of dollars.  US immigration requires a great deal of patients and knowledge.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to WHat Visa Do I Need, from K1 P&P - the OP has not started the K1 and is asking about the visa process.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Thank you everyone for your help & advice.  I've been searching for quite a while & I've been burnt before.  I've been scammed in my early 30's.  I'm not ashamed to admit that I've been naive'.

I'm forty now.  I am a legal born American.

She's different because she's actually interested in me, & we have the same hobbies... Mostly martial arts. I'm a P/T instructor that teaches Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu & Systema as a hobby job.  We spend time exercising with each other on video chat at least 3X a week.  She is Kalenjin, so she comes from this runner warrior type of background... She very humble also... She's very supportive, & hasn't asked for a dime.  She has a job as a sales person selling sim cards. She's 26. Right now our relationship is a mentorship/friendship where we just tease the hell out of each other.  She's trying to teach me Swahili. I got her into Warhammer 40k.  If that's not love idk what is lol.

We're also both Christian.  I know it's true because she told me straight up, on day one, that we aren't sexting or exchanging nudes.  She also gets on me if I cuss which I think is adorable.  We've both never been married & we both want it to last forever, & we're both family oriented.  We both keep joking about making little caramel macchiato babies lol.

I can't go see her because I'm over the $2,500 limit in child support.  I am willing to work extra to do what I gotta do though.  Is there a way for us to just get a tourist visa for her so we can meet for the first time & not get married?  I'll do what I need to do to keep things legal even if it means to wait for a while... As long as I can make it happen eventually.

Can she try to find a job or teach over here?  Is there an avenue that I'm completely oblivious about?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nicaragua
Timeline
8 hours ago, roninlongshanks said:

Is there a way for us to just get a tourist visa for her so we can meet for the first time & not get married? 

If you, or her, has $160 for the fee to spare there's no harm in trying. Tourist visas can be difficult to get especially when there is a Northamerican significant-other involved. The embassy officer that does the 2-minute (if that!) interview assumes that the applicant is going to violate the terms of the visa, disappear, and overstay their visa; it is up to the applicant, your lady, to overcome that assumption. What circumstances in her life compels her to return to her life in Kenya? Unfortunately, there is no magic formula we can tell you with certainty that assures the success of a tourist visa; jobs, families/kids, properties, education...you name it, can all easily be left behind for the good 'ole 'murican dream.

You may need to prepare to find a way to go see her, or "meet in the middle" in a 3rd country. Always have plan B, and even plan C!

The only option I had was to go see my husband (then boyfriend) because he couldn't overcome the assumption to get it. Thank all the jerks who, in the past, violated the terms and ended up disappearing and living in the US, making it that much harder for the rest of us.

I echo what others have said and what your idea is, you need face to face time! Good luck! This website is a cornucopia of awesome info with lots of veterans in the immigrations-world with real-life experiences!

Edited by YecaCruz

A Tale of Two Dakotaraguans

K1 Journey - 78 Days

Sent I-129F - 11/16/15 [Day 1]
NOA1 - 11/18 (Hard copy: 11/24) [Day 2, Day 8]
NOA2 - 12/18 (Hard copy: 12/26) [Day 32, Day 40]
NVC received file: 1/05/2016 [Day 50] Obtained NVC invoice number, paid visa fee, filled out DS-160: 1/06 [Day 51]
Fiancé's medical: 1/12 9:00am [Day 57]
Interview: 1/22 9:30am, Approved! [67 days] (F)
Visa status on ceac site= "AP": 1/25, "Issued":01/27, "In Transit: 2/02", Visa packet in hand: 2/03 [Day 78]
POE: (Houston) 2/04, North Dakota arrival: 2/05

Married (civil): 2/05/16 (L)

AOS - 55 Days

I-485, AP, EAD sent : 3/03/2016 [Day 1]

Delivered: 3/04 [Day 2]

Electronic NOA1: 3/08 [Day 5]  NOA1 Hardcopy rcv'd in mail: 3/12 [Day 9]; Biometric Notification rcv'd in mail: 3/26 [Day 23]; Biometrics Appt: 4/06 in Fargo, ND [Day 33]

Notification(s): "Your new card is being produced" 4/23 [Day 48] ; "Your case was approved" 4/26 [Day 51]; "Your card was mailed on 4/27" 4/28 [Day 53]

Green Card in Hand: 4/30 [Day 55]

D-day ("Dress day"/I do...again Day/wedding reception): 9/10/16

ROC - 390 days 

Spoiler

Window opens: 1/24/2018

Package sent: 1/26, Delivered on 1/29 at 11:17am to CSC - [Day 1]

Check cashed: 1/31 [Day 3]

NOA1: 1/29 [Day 1]; NOA rcv'd in mail: 2/02 [Day 4]

Biometrics  Sent 5/5, rcv'd in mail 5/12 [Day 107]

Biometrics appt: Not required

18 Month extension letter received, dated 8/18: 8/24/18 [Day 211]

"New Card Being Produced" - 2/11/19 [Day 382], email "we mailed your card on 2/14" - 2/15

Card arrived: 2/19/19 [Day 390]

Citizenship - 643 Days

Spoiler

Window opens: 01/24/2019

E-file: 01/28/2019 [Day 1]

Biometrics = scheduled: 02/01 [Day 4], view uploaded document: 02/05 [Day 8], appointment day: 02/19 [Day 22] In Fargo, ND

Interview scheduled notification online: 9/3/20 [Day 585]

Interview in Minneapolis, MN: 10/20/20 [Day 632] at 12:15 PM: passed/approved

Oath Ceremony: scheduled 10/20, view letter online 10/21

Oath : Fargo, ND 2:15pm at sanctuary events center. No guests allowed

1808 total days of thinking about/waiting for immigrations!

Applied for US Passport 11/4/2020, application approved 1/26/21, passport and naturalization cert received in mailbox: 1/28/21 📘

11 hours ago, roninlongshanks said:

I can't go see her because I'm over the $2,500 limit in child support.  I am willing to work extra to do what I gotta do though.  Is there a way for us to just get a tourist visa for her so we can meet for the first time & not get married?  I'll do what I need to do to keep things legal even if it means to wait for a while... As long as I can make it happen eventually.

That's another thing that will bite you in the butt if you do not manage it correctly the dreaded child support. That will and can stop you dead in the water! Don't ever fall behind on your payments while you are seeking an immigration benefit!

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.