KhailTowers

Terrified of signing I-864 Affidavit of Support

40 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, BLC said:

Not too easy if you’re lower middle class, so it would be a valid concern. Covering a family on an employer sponsored health plan can easily wipe out someone’s entire paycheck. Most employers only partially cover the premiums for their employees, not their families, that comes at the employees expense.

Well being divorced more times than I like to admit here in Mass its usualy part of the divorce agreement. If the Judge orders you pay.... and that was the point of my post. Divorce court is much worse than I864

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

so,  IF u don't sign the form and bring her to the US,  then what?

divorce in the US if she agrees to sign 

OR 

divorce in her country and then what would u owe?

u r married,  support your wife

27 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

so,  IF u don't sign the form and bring her to the US,  then what?

Just would like to briefly note that he will not be able to bring her to the US without first signing the I-864. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
26 minutes ago, beloved_dingo said:

.it makes it sound like his wife is somehow in the wrong for not wanting to uproot her current life to move to a foreign country away from her support system that exists outside of her marriage - a marriage of only ~1 year as well. OP has given us no information about why they seemingly have no choice but to move to the U.S.

I see what you're saying and partially agree... But if any of the two parties in a long distance relationship does not want to move for the other person, it is a red flag to me. 

On the other hand, I think OP comes from the idea of "she doesn't want to leave her family behind, and with the I-864 I am TERRIFIED that I will be financially responsible for her and her family". Only OP knows!

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
2 hours ago, powerpuff said:

Just would like to briefly note that he will not be able to bring herof  to the US without first signing the I-864. 

of course 

maybe he wants to go there to live with her

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
37 minutes ago, Rocio0010 said:

I see what you're saying and partially agree... But if any of the two parties in a long distance relationship does not want to move for the other person, it is a red flag to me. 

On the other hand, I think OP comes from the idea of "she doesn't want to leave her family behind, and with the I-864 I am TERRIFIED that I will be financially responsible for her and her family". Only OP knows!

Perhaps I am wrong, but the way I read the original post is that they are both outside the U.S. right now together ("I've had to convince her to move to the US with me"), and not long distance. Unless OP decides to clarify any of this though, it's anyone's guess. 

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
4 minutes ago, beloved_dingo said:

Perhaps I am wrong, but the way I read the original post is that they are both outside the U.S. right now together ("I've had to convince her to move to the US with me"), and not long distance. Unless OP decides to clarify any of this though, it's anyone's guess. 

Agreed, the way I read it was that her expectation in the relationship was that they would be living in her home country and that a move to the US came up after the marriage occured.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

The OP has been reading this thread, which is good.

However, he needs to come back to clarify what we're conjecturing about.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

18 hours ago, KhailTowers said:

I just got married last year to a wonderful woman from my parents home country.

She had no interest in coming to the US. However, now we need to move here, and I've had to convince her to move to the US with me and leave her family.

She has accepted moving here, but after finding out about the I-864 Affidavit of Support, I am now terrified of signing it and sponsoring her to come here.

Anything could happen with the marriage in the future, and I could be on the hook for a lifetime of financial support if we get divorced (It doesn't end after 10 years as most possible think).

It seems this form also incentivizes sponsored immigrants to not work & not get their citizenship (As you'd have to keep supporting them financially)

Has anybody also struggled with signing this form and ended up just moving to a different country with their spouse as a result of it?

OP what is the situation now? Does your wife work in her home country? Do you support her or does she support you?

What is your visa status in your parents’ home country? Are you a citizen or a resident or on a spousal visa?

why do you think life in the US will be radically different from the life you live now? 
if you divorce in her country will you have any obligations to her or will she have any obligations to you? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

As an immigrant myself, I would be terrified if my USC husband was terrified of signing the form.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
21 hours ago, KhailTowers said:

Has anybody also struggled with signing this form and ended up just moving to a different country with their spouse as a result of it?

This is the last line of the original post, and the only question he actually asked.  I didn't answer it, and I don't see that anybody else has.  In the 17 years I've been a member here, I haven't seen such a story, but it may have happened.  This forum does not exist to support folks moving anywhere but the USA, so somebody in that situation wouldn't really be posting here.

As is very clear from many posts, the actual contract is rarely enforced by USCIS.  The real danger is in divorce court.  One member actually posted an add from a divorce lawyer promoting his ability at enforcing the affidavit of support in divorce court.

A discussion that might be helpful to the OP is one about WHY suddenly they need to move to the USA.  If a third country is an option, maybe the problem is they need to LEAVE the current country.  If the problem is understood, there may well be a third country solution.

Either way, we can all assure the OP, that each and every member here that petitioned their spouse to come to the USA, signed the affidavit of support.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

A few have other options, Cuban Adjustment Act comes to mind. And in rare cases they do not need sponsoring.

I have always thought that the I 864 should work both ways.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.