14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

We are getting married within a week or so and originally wanted to start working on all the forms (4 different ones?) so we could immediately file.  Didn't happen because we've had too many other things on our plate.  Is there an online service that isn't as expensive as hiring an immigration attorney would be to file all these forms? Also, it appears there's a separate form to file if my fiancee wants to be able to travel internationally.  It's a bit confusing what the rules on that are.  Lastly, I assume she should also apply for a SS# as soon as we get married so she can get a permanent driver's license, as hers expires September 11.  So many questions! I sure hope this eventually gets easier.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
16 minutes ago, JeffAtl said:

We are getting married within a week or so and originally wanted to start working on all the forms (4 different ones?) so we could immediately file.  Didn't happen because we've had too many other things on our plate.  Is there an online service that isn't as expensive as hiring an immigration attorney would be to file all these forms?

The linked visa journey guide below is what you should use.  

Also, it appears there's a separate form to file if my fiancee wants to be able to travel internationally.  It's a bit confusing what the rules on that are. 

Covered in the guide.  

Lastly, I assume she should also apply for a SS# as soon as we get married so she can get a permanent driver's license, as hers expires September 11. 

Yes.  Had you followed the guide when she entered the USA you would gotten her an SSN before she married.  

So many questions! I sure hope this eventually gets easier.

Just follow 

Edited by Mike E

Timeline
2 hours ago, Mike E said:

The linked visa journey guide below is what you should use.  

Covered in the guide.  

Yes.  Had you followed the guide when she entered the USA you would gotten her an SSN before she married.  

Just follow 

Unless I missed something, there was nothing about SS# in there.  Very helpful instructions for everything else though.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
6 minutes ago, JeffAtl said:

Unless I missed something, there was nothing about SS# in there.  Very helpful instructions for everything else though.  

Mea culpa.  

It is however in  

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
38 minutes ago, JeffAtl said:

You should get ssn in the name she is known by the USCIS.  It will save you heartache and hassle 

YMMV

Timeline
24 minutes ago, payxibka said:

You should get ssn in the name she is known by the USCIS.  It will save you heartache and hassle 

I was wondering about that also.  Thanks for that advice! She believes we should submit at the same time as change of status and work permit as she's here on a fiancee visa, not a work visa. I don't understand the 75 day recommendation.  If we do it all at once, it will be a big rush since we didn't get married right away.  It will be around 60 days or so that she will be here when we do get married, so that would leave us only 2 weeks to meet that 75 day recommendation.  Actually, we likely wouldn't meet it since it probably needs to be received by then, and I'm sure they wouldn't acknowledge receiving it within that timeframe even if they had it.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, JeffAtl said:

I was wondering about that also.  Thanks for that advice! She believes we should submit at the same time as change of status and work permit as she's here on a fiancee visa, not a work visa. I don't understand the 75 day recommendation.  If we do it all at once, it will be a big rush since we didn't get married right away.  It will be around 60 days or so that she will be here when we do get married, so that would leave us only 2 weeks to meet that 75 day recommendation.  Actually, we likely wouldn't meet it since it probably needs to be received by then, and I'm sure they wouldn't acknowledge receiving it within that timeframe even if they had it.

No reason to wait until you are married.   Get it done NOW.  It makes life easier.   Really it does. 

YMMV

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

Your fiance may want to apply for SSN asap even before marriage. People on K1 are having hard time getting SSN post marriage. 

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Timeline

I am so glad I asked about this! I called the SS office and they confirmed she can apply now.  It will hopefully be before we get married.  It will be close.  Of course I guess it may not matter as we won't be able to file AOS paperwork right away.  We will use her current legal name as well.  If she gets in next week to apply, we should be in good shape.  It's by limited appointment only, but she qualifies for that under the K-1.  Surely this will be faster than mailing everything in.  Thanks everyone!

Edited by JeffAtl

8 hours ago, JeffAtl said:

We are getting married within a week or so and originally wanted to start working on all the forms (4 different ones?) so we could immediately file.  Didn't happen because we've had too many other things on our plate.  Is there an online service that isn't as expensive as hiring an immigration attorney would be to file all these forms? Also, it appears there's a separate form to file if my fiancee wants to be able to travel internationally.  It's a bit confusing what the rules on that are.  Lastly, I assume she should also apply for a SS# as soon as we get married so she can get a permanent driver's license, as hers expires September 11.  So many questions! I sure hope this eventually gets easier.

It will be 8-10 months before your fiancé can travel internationally (or work).

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belarus
Timeline

We didn't know we have to apply for SSN after I came so we applied after we got married and had appointment today but system rejected to accept me because my I 94 is about to expire so we can do it only after getting a GC .

Don't wait long apply SSN now! Good luck! They say sometimes system allows to get through ( that what she tried to do today) it does not hurt to try!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
22 hours ago, JeffAtl said:

Lastly, I assume she should also apply for a SS# as soon as we get married so she can get a permanent driver's license, as hers expires September 11.

Check with your state DMV rules.  Most require at least an EAD/AP card to extend the driver's license, filing AOS and showing the I-797 receipt is usually not enough.  Some require a green card.  So check on that as she may not be able to extend the validity of her driver's license after it expires on Sept. 11 for 6-8 months while waiting for EAD/AP, and it may be even longer if they require a green card.  SSN is not proof of legal immigrant status so it can't be used to extend the validity of a temporary driver's license in most states.  Even when she gets the EAD/AP and uses that to renew or get a new driver's license, it will expire when the EAD/AP expires, or when the 2-year green card expires, etc.  There is no "permanent" driver's license for immigrants, it's only valid for as long as their legal status is valid, and proper documentation is required to show the legal status.  Good luck!

Edited by carmel34

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.