Sarge2155

July 2021 - AOS Filers

598 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, B&O0302 said:

I got my 3 receipt letters yesterday in the mail😃

Congratulations! 
make sure all the spelling are correct in the mailing address. I had some errors and now it’s delayed for another 2-3 weeks Time to correct and send it back to me again. 

Submitted our AOS packet last night via UPS - should be in Chicago on Thursday.

Excited to wait for more NOAs. But at least we're waiting with each other. :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Joining! We did the combo packet.

Application sent: 7/14

Application delivered: 7/15

NOA: 7/18 (text)

Check Cashed: 7/20

The timelines seem crazy right now, certainly not the 3-5 months quoted. I'm hoping that my wife's 131 will be approved before early December as I have had an international trip planned for over a year (who knew it would take THIS long!).

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hey ya'll,

We're planning moving from DC to Miami in the next few weeks. What's the word of advice for switching field offices? We feel comfortable flying back to DC for the interview/biometrics since we have family in the area, but looking at the services center reviews, it looks like Miami is a bit faster than DC: https://www.greencardly.com/#/rankings

However, I've also heard there's a time penalty when filing a change of address mid-adjustment since it goes to a new officer in the new field office. It's only been a couple of weeks since we sent in the application. Perhaps it's early enough in the process where a change of address wouldn't affect things much?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, uapilot said:

Hey ya'll,

We're planning moving from DC to Miami in the next few weeks. What's the word of advice for switching field offices? We feel comfortable flying back to DC for the interview/biometrics since we have family in the area, but looking at the services center reviews, it looks like Miami is a bit faster than DC: https://www.greencardly.com/#/rankings

However, I've also heard there's a time penalty when filing a change of address mid-adjustment since it goes to a new officer in the new field office. It's only been a couple of weeks since we sent in the application. Perhaps it's early enough in the process where a change of address wouldn't affect things much?

Hi there,

Not sure how accurate that ranking is but based on USCIS Processing Times website, Washington, DC is 15 to 25.5 months for family-based AOS application while Miami, FL is 13 to 33 months. 

Also, by law don’t you need to report your new address if you or your spouse is not a USC? Wouldn’t it be breaking the law if you pretend that you “live” with your family in the area to fly back to DC for your AOS interview when in fact you relocated to Miami?

https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?req=granuleid:USC-prelim-title8-section1305&num=0&edition=prelim

Timeline
29 minutes ago, chancecody said:

Also, by law don’t you need to report your new address if you or your spouse is not a USC? Wouldn’t it be breaking the law if you pretend that you “live” with your family in the area to fly back to DC for your AOS interview when in fact you relocated to Miami?

https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?req=granuleid:USC-prelim-title8-section1305&num=0&edition=prelim

I've no idea. This is why I'm asking here first.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
16 minutes ago, uapilot said:

I've no idea. This is why I'm asking here first.

Yeah. Please consult a lawyer. I have consulted 3 lawyers before my AOS to ask all my questions and this is one of them. Read the link that I gave you about the law above. Use google to get more information. Also, the other thing that I am thinking is if the IO ask you where you live in your interview and you lied saying you still live in DC when in fact you moved, that is lying under oath. We should only tell the truth and nothing but the truth 😇

Penalty:

Any alien or any parent or legal guardian in the United States of any alien who fails to give written notice to the Attorney General, as required by section 1305 of this title, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall, upon conviction thereof, be fined not to exceed $200 or be imprisoned not more than thirty days, or both. Irrespective of whether an alien is convicted and punished as herein provided, any alien who fails to give written notice to the Attorney General, as required by section 1305 of this title, shall be taken into custody and removed in the manner provided by part IV of this subchapter, unless such alien establishes to the satisfaction of the Attorney General that such failure was reasonably excusable or was not willful.

Edited by chancecody

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Olga88 said:

Did you guys submit the wedding pics in aos papers?

I did not. Just the certified marriage record.

My receipt numbers starts with an IOE # which means application will be process online. However, I see that in bottom corner of the letters is a address of one of the uscis offices. Does that matter?

22 minutes ago, B&O0302 said:

My receipt numbers starts with an IOE # which means application will be process online. However, I see that in bottom corner of the letters is a address of one of the uscis offices. Does that matter?

Maybe that’s the one you’ll have an interview at? 

I received my 3 hard copies of the NOA's today.

All my case numbers start with IOE, the address in the lower left corner of each letter is the address of the National Benefits Center in Missouri, which is 1500 miles away from where I live. I don't think that's where I'll have my interview as there is a USCIS field office 15 miles away. 

I'm glad I got my NOA's today, the USPS tracking still says available for pick up and will return my paperwork next week... We called them, they said there is a scan missing somewhere aloing the process, that's why it still says "available for pick up"

07/17 Paperwork sent
07/20 Paperwork arrived in Chicago
07/23 NOA1 text message for all 3 cases

07/29 NOA1 letters in the mail for all 3 cases

Edited by Verocopter

Timeline

Got the 797s today as well for my wife. Still absolute silence on the I-485 for my step-daughter.

No access codes in the 797s, so I guess I'll have to use the Emma agent to track those down.

07/14 Paperwork arrived in Chicago
07/23 NOA1 text message for all 3 cases

07/29 NOA1 letters in the mail for all 3 cases

Received 3 text messages today. Predictably, they all start with #IOE. I know that’s electronic filing, but does it still mean it will be sent to a local field office? I would assume so, but maybe someone knows for sure. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.