Mercedeslorry

Will it matter if my taxes when filled said "single" VS "married" when applying for CR1?

52 posts in this topic

Long story short - my husband and I got married in October of 2020. He lives in Pakistan, and has never visited, or lived in the U.S. I am in the process of filling my taxes (I am a U.S citizen) and have been told I can file as single since my husband has never lived here in the U.S with me, and does not have a SSN, or a ITIN number. However, I asked if it was possible to file as married for immigration purposes and I was told I could, but I would have to go through the lengthy process of having my husband get a ITIN number.

SO my question is does it really matter if my taxes are filled as single or do i have to go through this process of my husband trying to get a ITIN number (I prefer not to)? 

THANK YOU for your help and time.

You absolutely must file as married if you are married. You can file as “married filing jointly” or “married filing separately”, whichever suits your financial situation better. But you cannot file as single. 

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

@JFH Thank you for your reply! 

I thought the same thing - However, my tax agency (turbotax) told me that since we have never physically lived together that I could file as single. He does not have any number to identify him and both filling jointly and filling separately require a SSN. So i'm assuming you would just suggest that we go through the process of getting an ITIN number for him and filling that way? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Once you marry,  you are married

you may file MFJ or MFS or you may qualify for head of household

but why would you not claim him and do the W7 for the extra deduction

his foreign income may be exclude as the following exists

The US and Pakistan have a tax treaty that can offer taxpayers additional benefits. We can help you with all treaty benefits.

The following tells you how to include your nonresident alien spouse

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/nonresident-alien-spouse

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
14 minutes ago, Mercedeslorry said:

I thought the same thing - However, my tax agency (turbotax) told me that since we have never physically lived together that I could file as single. He does not have any number to identify him and both filling jointly and filling separately require a SSN. So i'm assuming you would just suggest that we go through the process of getting an ITIN number for him and filling that way? 

That is incorrect.   Exactly who told you that at Turbotax?   

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

20 minutes ago, Mercedeslorry said:

TurboTax told you to lie about your marital status? 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline

If you file "Married-Filing Separately" using "NRA" in the spouse's SSN box, you will have to mail the return to the IRS.  Good luck.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
6 hours ago, Mercedeslorry said:

Long story short - my husband and I got married in October of 2020. He lives in Pakistan, and has never visited, or lived in the U.S. I am in the process of filling my taxes (I am a U.S citizen) and have been told I can file as single since my husband has never lived here in the U.S with me, and does not have a SSN, or a ITIN number. However, I asked if it was possible to file as married for immigration purposes and I was told I could, but I would have to go through the lengthy process of having my husband get a ITIN number.

SO my question is does it really matter if my taxes are filled as single or do i have to go through this process of my husband trying to get a ITIN number (I prefer not to)? 

THANK YOU for your help and time.

It really matters.  Advice is to MFJ, declare then exclude his income, for max/best tax benefits.

Your other choices are MFS (high tax rates bleh) or if you support a dependent HOH.

My first year I didnt file at all, just waited for her to arrive the following year, waited for the SS card to come in, and my recollection is I sent my return in late August.  Doesnt matter how late you file IF they owe you a refund 👍 but her interview was in Dec of the year we married and approval was on previous year’s returns and current year’s income so the return wasnt needed for the interview.

I’d try to get that 1040X in before April 15.  You file jointly and get your spouse treated as “resident for tax purposes” and you’ll earn him 4 of the 40 quarters you need to satisfy the support affidavit. You send in a 2020 return with “single” to that interview and its gonna raise eyebrows you dont need raised.

Edited by Nitas_man

My CPA at both H and R Block and Turbo Tax told me to file as single, because he doesn't have a SSN and because he did not earn any taxable income for US purposes. H&R also said they will cover me if I get audited. The CPA at Turbo said I don't even have to amend the return once he arrives. 🤷🏽‍♀️

Timeline
20 minutes ago, kaylahm23 said:

My CPA at both H and R Block and Turbo Tax told me to file as single, because he doesn't have a SSN and because he did not earn any taxable income for US purposes. H&R also said they will cover me if I get audited. The CPA at Turbo said I don't even have to amend the return once he arrives. 🤷🏽‍♀️

They are incorrect.  I would love to see their written reference to doing that in IRS regulations.  You are married.  Your are not single, divorced, or legally separated by state law.  You don't fit the definition below as single.  In special circumstances, you might file as Head of House. But not as "single".

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/correct-filing-status

image.png.beeefef3e54f1fff2b1657958b5b6918.png

Edited by Lucky Cat

Timeline

I agree that this is a tax matter.  I don't recall seeing anyone have an issue during immigration for incorrect tax filing status in the past 5 years I have been here on VJ.

****I am moving this thread over to Tax and Finances During US Immigration****

Edited by Lucky Cat

Welp they are certified professionals in this field and can lose their certification if they don't do their job correctly, so I doubt that two people from different companies would lie about the same thing. I am single for tax purposes as my spouse is not here earning. He has to be here for at least 6 months for them to count. Is what I've been told on teo separate occasions. I think I'll listen to people trained in this matter. Thanks though! Just providing my personal experience.😁

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Another data point is that one does not need an SS number for the foreign spouse to file MFS, but you must file on paper instead of online.  Somebody can chime in on what you hand write in the SS# field for the spouse before mailing.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.