Hawk Riders

IR-1/CR-1 Montreal DQ'd private message group goes public CONTINUED

2,920 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, Lois K said:

I was able to add my husband to my insurance. It's insurance through work. HR had to tell them why he had no SSN yet and the company overrode the SSN requirement. So he has been added and I already have cards for him. In fact, thanks for the reminder that I need to give them his SSN now that we have it! 

My husbands work is being so tricky with insurance, I might not even be able to get added until the end of the year because apparently moving to America isn’t a big enough “life altering event” to be added to his insurance 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, Hawk Riders said:

FYI this statement is not true with respect to US health coverage. Canadian spouses who already have US coverage, research your options! 

I did research for the state of Texas (and in Canada for the province of Ontario). Blue Cross Blue Shield and Medicare won't cover tests if required by government order for travel. Some corporate insurance policies have a "health care budget" which acts like a cash card for various miscellaneous coverages, so you might be able to claim under that category. Also note that it has to be a PCR/NAAT test, and not a rapid test or antibody test, for entry to both countries.Finally, note that this does not exempt you from 14 day quarantine in Canada (unless you go to Calgary which has its own rules of entry). The CDC states a 7 day mandatory quarantine with a request to get a test after Day 3 but it is not enforced in most states (ex Hawaii which has its own rules). 

I was supposed to go to see my husband on February 4 and an extra $400 is not in my budget, so I researched this double thoroughly...😢

Timeline
1 hour ago, Dbrennan said:

My husbands work is being so tricky with insurance, I might not even be able to get added until the end of the year because apparently moving to America isn’t a big enough “life altering event” to be added to his insurance 

I can't be added to my husband's insurance until I get a SSN. He is added to my Canadian insurance for anything that happens if he comes here, which isn't happening these days (he's an essential front line worker). 

Timeline
8 hours ago, CGs_Mother said:

Also be aware that no form of insurance pays for these COVID tests, and most provinces will not cover COVID PCR tests for travel and government requirement purposes. In Ontario, labs charge starting at $199 CAD plus GST for these tests.  It's the same on the way back if you are travelling back and forth, but the PCR tests in the US for travel are slightly cheaper.

Before we left Canada, my husband and I did our covid tests through Switch Health for 180 cad. They’re in the GTA and Halifax. 

Edited by SASAS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
18 hours ago, CGs_Mother said:

I can't be added to my husband's insurance until I get a SSN.

Yes, you can.  You might to contact someone up the chain of command, but a SSN is not required for health insurance.  Sometimes, the insurance company can assign you a temporary number.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
4 hours ago, Lucky Cat said:

Yes, you can.  You might to contact someone up the chain of command, but a SSN is not required for health insurance.  Sometimes, the insurance company can assign you a temporary number.

Agreed, yes you can. I was on my husband's insurance for a year without an SSN, and also received my own health insurance through work before having an SSN.

Timeline
41 minutes ago, HD_BIRDS said:

Agreed, yes you can. I was on my husband's insurance for a year without an SSN, and also received my own health insurance through work before having an SSN.

Thanks! I will have him look into it. They have to do it through an automated portal so he might have to call head office or something. 

Hi all,

I have been following this thread for quick some time. I have some questions regarding my status. The NVC has received my form DS 260 in October 9, 2020. We have submited all the required civil documents.  I checked the status of my application today and it says my case is still at NVC. Are we document qualified for an interview or still have to wait for the NVC to send our info to the consular in montreal. I am really stressed out because we have been already waiting 1.5 years to do this process. Please do not ever hire a lawyer for this process, it is waste of money. 

Edited by zor435

Timeline
6 minutes ago, zor435 said:

Hi all,

I have been following this thread for quick some time. I have some questions regarding my status. The NVC has received my form DS 260 in October 9, 2020. We have submited all the required civil documents.  I checked the status of my application today and it says my case is still at NVC. Are we document qualified for an interview or still have to wait for the NVC to send our info to the consular in montreal. I am really stressed out because we have been already waiting 1.5 years to do this process. Please do not ever hire a lawyer for this process, it is waste of money. 

You will be at NVC until they schedule your interview. If you recieved an email from nvc stating they have recieved all fees and documents from you for an interview you are DQ and just waiting for an interview. Dont worry about checking your case status it won't change until you recieve your next email.

Timeline
On 1/16/2021 at 9:50 AM, Dbrennan said:

Echoing @jackanddeona it isn't the move, it's the loss of previous insurance. Mine lost his insurance as soon as he activated his visa at POE. Here's a basic overview from WikiHow (read Method 2),"The United States government has made it law that health insurance companies must allow a special enrollment period when qualifying life events have occurred. These life events can include getting married and losing other insurance coverage (among other things).")

USCIS

Dec 29 2018 ------ Married

Jan 23 2019 ------ I-130 submitted

Feb 01 2019 ------ NOA1

Dec 30 2019 ------ NOA2

NVC

Feb 11 2020 ------ Welcome letter email received

Feb 12 2020 ------ Case Creation date

Feb 12 2020 ------ IV and AOS bills visible. Paid same day.

Feb 15 2020 ------ AOS and IV bills showing paid, AOS and DS-260 accessible

Feb 18 2020 ------ DS-260 (plus documents) and AOS documents submitted

Feb 19 2020 ------ DQ email received

COVID happened

Nov 16 2020 ------ Interview email received

Consulate

Dec 02 2020 ------ Medical with Dr. Cheema

Dec 14 2020 ------ Interview at Montreal consulate

Dec 22 2020 ------ Passport returned with visa

Permanent Resident

Dec 28 2020 ------ Immigration fee (green card processing fee) paid

Jan 01 2021 ------ POE Peace Arch, with 20' U-Haul

Jan 11 2021 ------ Social Security card received

Mar 26 2021 ------ Green Card received, IR-1

Citizenship

Dec 27 2023 ------ N400 submitted 

Jan 17 2024 ------ Biometrics Appt (Portland, OR), cancelled due to ice storm

Feb 20 2024 ------ Biometrics Appt (Portland, OR)

Apr 1 2024 ------ Citizenship exam & oath ceremony!

18 minutes ago, jackanddeona said:

You will be at NVC until they schedule your interview. If you recieved an email from nvc stating they have recieved all fees and documents from you for an interview you are DQ and just waiting for an interview. Dont worry about checking your case status it won't change until you recieve your next email.

I have submitted all documents but have not received an email from NVC to state that I am DQ. Everything was submitted on October 21,2020. How long does it take them to process the submitted documents?

Timeline
11 minutes ago, zor435 said:

I have submitted all documents but have not received an email from NVC to state that I am DQ. Everything was submitted on October 21,2020. How long does it take them to process the submitted documents?

You might have missed email. Just log in to account and see if everything is paid/accepted. Should also be a message in your account stating that. If not you might be missing something. I'm not sure of the timeline for dq at the moment. I would recommend going to the nvc forums for questions about DQ or just some research.

10 minutes ago, jackanddeona said:

You might have missed email. Just log in to account and see if everything is paid/accepted. Should also be a message in your account stating that. If not you might be missing something. I'm not sure of the timeline for dq at the moment. I would recommend going to the nvc forums for questions about DQ or just some research.

Thanks for your reply,

Everything is paid and accepted in my account. I was under the assumption that I was DQ back in October when we had submitted all our documents. Very upsetting to say the least.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.