IR-1/CR-1 Montreal DQ'd private message group goes public CONTINUED

2,920 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Cath&Claire said:

FYI 

interview 2/22

Tracking # received this morning, 2/26 

Did you use CanadaPost or Purolator?  Our interview was Monday and we have been at final Issued since Wednesday but we opted for purolator and don't have a tracking yet.

Timeline
Just now, JandTK said:

Did you use CanadaPost or Purolator?  Our interview was Monday and we have been at final Issued since Wednesday but we opted for purolator and don't have a tracking yet.

I opted for Purolator.  A fellow visa applicant I know had their interview on Wednesday, 2/24 - he received his tracking # today as well.   

Timeline
1 hour ago, Cath&Claire said:

I opted for Purolator.  A fellow visa applicant I know had their interview on Wednesday, 2/24 - he received his tracking # today as well.   

Same for me! Interview 2/24 and received purolator notification today.

12 hours ago, State and Maine said:

What’s everyone doing with their Canadian bank accounts when they leave? Are you leaving them open and paying fees? Are you closing them? Just trying to plan ahead here...

I've been wondering the same thing! I thought I'd leave one open so that I can use the account when I'm visiting/paying student loans but I don't know anything about what's allowed/not worth it. Would love to hear about what others have done! 

Timeline
16 minutes ago, SSS24 said:

Same for me! Interview 2/24 and received purolator notification today.

We finally got our tracking number about 30 min ago.  Thanks!

Timeline
2 hours ago, JandTK said:

I opted for Purolator as well, was interviewed 2/24 and got my tracking number today

Timeline

Update on POE: As of yesterday (February 25), my green card is being produced! I crossed on February 15 from BC > WA at Peace Arch; this seems super quick compared to what other folks have experienced in the past months. I'll share an update when it arrives and when my SSN (hopefully) does too.

Timeline
13 hours ago, State and Maine said:

What’s everyone doing with their Canadian bank accounts when they leave? Are you leaving them open and paying fees? Are you closing them? Just trying to plan ahead here...

I've been wondering this as well. A cross-border tax consultant I talked to said there would be no issue with me keeping a chequing account open but that I should close out any investment/TFSA accounts to avoid non-resident tax. I've left the chequing account open for now as I'm keeping my job with my Canadian employer and have other payments in Canada that come out of the account, but I'm going to call my bank directly and confirm whether there will be any tax liabilities with keeping one open as a non-resident. If anyone has additional insight, I'd similarly appreciate it!

Edited by sjb17

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
15 hours ago, State and Maine said:

Still have mine.  Super useful, especially on days like today where its a kid's birthday and the family want to send cash.  As long as you don't have $10K in assets, you don't have to file FBAR. 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Timeline
2 hours ago, sjb17 said:

I've been wondering this as well. A cross-border tax consultant I talked to said there would be no issue with me keeping a chequing account open but that I should close out any investment/TFSA accounts to avoid non-resident tax. I've left the chequing account open for now as I'm keeping my job with my Canadian employer and have other payments in Canada that come out of the account, but I'm going to call my bank directly and confirm whether there will be any tax liabilities with keeping one open as a non-resident. If anyone has additional insight, I'd similarly appreciate it!

I'm also interested in hearing more about this. I wonder if maybe a separate thread topic on US/Can finances would be a good idea? 

I'm also still paying off a line of credit with my bank in Canada and will be keeping my job (but under contract instead of full time with deductions) so they'll be paying me in my Canadian account too. 

Timeline
On 2/25/2021 at 8:40 AM, CGs_Mother said:

My cat will also be immigrating with me - I know you have to get a certificate showing evidence of rabies vaccinations when you take your pet across, even for a trip, but please let us know if they ask for anything else (microchip, license, etc.). And also, if you are driving down, please let us know if you felt the need to tranquilize your cat for the trip or not, and if you are driving or flying. Thank you! And congratulations on your successful interview! 

We'll also be driving down with my two cats. I'm not looking forward to it because they do NOT travel well. One in particular pees himself in terror the moment he's outside the apartment door and the last time I had to take him in the car, he tore his claws trying to get out of the carrier. :( Poor little idiot. 

We originally planned to start doing exposure therapy with him a few months in advance to just put him in the carrier in the car for a few minutes at a time, then increasing  the length of time until working our way up to drives around the block, etc. But I don't drive and now with the pandemic, my husband can no longer visit like he used to, so it's no longer an option. If you're able to do this yourself though, I recommend it! 

I spoke with my vet yesterday about sedation, and he said that they no longer use tranq drugs for cats for travel sedation, but instead use low doses of human Benadryl because it's much safer. It's worth talking to your vet about doing a trial of this at home to see how your cat(s) handle it. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.