Hawk Riders

IR-1/CR-1 Montreal DQ'd private message group goes public CONTINUED

2,920 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
3 hours ago, wordsfromdani said:

Just a two-month post-entry update and this may be relevant for questions from @EJOyamot

Super helpful!! thank you! I'll give it a couple more weeks and then start calling about SSN if it hasn't arrived. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, mam521 said:

First, I wanna say I’m so freaking jealous...Lihue! My heart wishes to be back in HI and we want to come to Kaua’i something fierce, but it ain’t happening with the bubble resorts at the moment! 

You are not required to provide the last 4 digits, even though it may ask. There are 10,000 possible combinations for those last 4, so it provides little relevant information. Some people make up a fake one if the application won’t go through (0001). The organization you have been hired by and the IRS should really be the only ones who require this information. I get it - everyone asks, but you should still be able to apply for jobs regardless. 

Hopefully you'll be able to come back to Kauai soon! Its just as beautiful as when I left it a year ago. I cant wait to get out of quarantine and hit the beach :) 

That's interesting, so I shouldn't get into trouble if I just stick a random number on the online application for now? I thought about putting the last 4 digits of my SIN number but then thought that might be someone else's number and didn't want to get into trouble lol 

Timeline
9 minutes ago, SSS24 said:

Oh okay good to know, thanks! I'll try again a little later :) I have one extra digit in my case # than what it allows me to input (10 digits vs 9) so not sure if that's an issue. I just didn't put in the last digit.

Look at the "visa in hand" portion of the FAQ document, it describes very clearly what to use and where to omit digits.  It worked perfectly for me.

Timeline
1 minute ago, JandTK said:

Look at the "visa in hand" portion of the FAQ document, it describes very clearly what to use and where to omit digits.  It worked perfectly for me.

Will do, thank you!

8 minutes ago, T&S_MTL said:

I'm wondering if people are going to receive IL this week 😃 we won't receive one for sure since we were DQed in October 2020, but that's exciting to know we're getting closer 🤞

this month IL will give clear picture ,of when to expect an interview, february IL was all over the place because of lockdown and stuff.

Timeline

For anyone who lives in a community where there's a central hub of mailbox slots rather than the mail coming straight to your door: I just spoke to the local SSA office in WA and they told me that if your last name isn't listed on the mail slot (which mine isn't yet, seeing as I just moved in and kept my maiden last name for the legal stuff), the courier will not give you your SSN. They'll instead send the SSN back to the SSA where it will be destroyed and you'll have to request a replacement card (if you don't get it within the 3 week window). 😑 My card was issued on February 20 but there's no telling if it's already attempted to be delivered so i'll have to add my name to the mailbox today and hope I beat them to it! Just wanted to share this in hopes it's helpful to anyone else in saving some serious frustration...

Edited by sjb17

Timeline

POE Feb 18, received SSN today March 1. They truncated my middle name but according to web search and a quick call they don't care about this, so OK I guess. I didn't expect some chintzy paper thing, I mean my 33 year old Canadian social insurance card is plastic, but not complaining haha.

Timeline
9 minutes ago, legendqueue said:

POE Feb 18, received SSN today March 1. They truncated my middle name but according to web search and a quick call they don't care about this, so OK I guess. I didn't expect some chintzy paper thing, I mean my 33 year old Canadian social insurance card is plastic, but not complaining haha.

Congrats! Does your mail come straight to your front door or does it come to a centralized mail slot? JW as we're both in Washington and I received some disheartening news from the local SSA office (posted above).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, EJOyamot said:

Hopefully you'll be able to come back to Kauai soon! Its just as beautiful as when I left it a year ago. I cant wait to get out of quarantine and hit the beach :) 

That's interesting, so I shouldn't get into trouble if I just stick a random number on the online application for now? I thought about putting the last 4 digits of my SIN number but then thought that might be someone else's number and didn't want to get into trouble lol 

I think we’ve concluded we’ll summer in Canada and winter in Hawai’i once we get to retirement 😂. I haven’t been to Kaua’i yet...just Maui and Hawai’i Island (I don’t count the airport in Oahu as visiting Oahu). Kaua’i was next! 

Nah, I wouldn’t stress about not providing a number or not providing a correct number. The information needs to be verified when you’re hired and there are 5 other digits that, in combination with the last 4, validate the number. I’m not encouraging people to behave badly, but just want them not to be put in a position where they needlessly lose out on a great opportunity! The worst offenders seem to be recruiters! 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Timeline
34 minutes ago, sjb17 said:

Congrats! Does your mail come straight to your front door or does it come to a centralized mail slot? JW as we're both in Washington and I received some disheartening news from the local SSA office (posted above).

To a mailbox on the road in front of the house. I hope you get yours sorted quickly. Mine didn't arrive by courier or anything like that, it was unceremoniously put into the box along with a septic cleaning service ad and a copy of my wife's W2.

Timeline
1 hour ago, sjb17 said:

For anyone who lives in a community where there's a central hub of mailbox slots rather than the mail coming straight to your door: I just spoke to the local SSA office in WA and they told me that if your last name isn't listed on the mail slot (which mine isn't yet, seeing as I just moved in and kept my maiden last name for the legal stuff), the courier will not give you your SSN. They'll instead send the SSN back to the SSA where it will be destroyed and you'll have to request a replacement card (if you don't get it within the 3 week window). 😑 My card was issued on February 20 but there's no telling if it's already attempted to be delivered so i'll have to add my name to the mailbox today and hope I beat them to it! Just wanted to share this in hopes it's helpful to anyone else in saving some serious frustration...

Ohhh sorry, I didn't see this before I posted my message. It seems pretty tone deaf now that I see the two together. :( 

1 hour ago, sjb17 said:

I'll be moving to WA state and am now wondering what we can do to prevent that, especially if the apartment/mailbox slot will most likely be under my partners name and not mine. I hope you'll be able to get yours without any problems though, please keep us updated! 

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Dania A said:

I'll be moving to WA state and am now wondering what we can do to prevent that, especially if the apartment/mailbox slot will most likely be under my partners name and not mine. I hope you'll be able to get yours without any problems though, please keep us updated! 

I'm also moving to WA state and will need to figure this out too. Thanks for the heads up!

Timeline
3 hours ago, SSS24 said:

Will do, thank you!

For the case number, if you keep getting the error message, remove the last 2digits ( 01 or 02). I had the same challenge when I tried to pay my fees. I kept getting that five days message until I took out the last 2 digits before the payment went through.

I hope this helps

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.