carlovely

Department of State posted about K1 visa - what does this mean?

108 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, :Sarah: said:

I just wanted to share my news with you guys on this post.

My fiance had his interview in March and they've had his passport since then.

We were literally few days away from getting the visa but they closed due to covid.

We have been staring at our CEAC status that said "Refused" for 6 months.

Last Friday, it was updated to "Administrative Processing" and this afternoon it changed to "Issued".

They definitely started working on K1. I think they're starting with cases already at the consulate and soon they will start getting cases from NVC.

Keep the positive vibe and be patient which is hard I know.

Fingers crossed for all of you!  🤞

Congrats!

Be ready to enter quickly upon getting the visa. The visa is constained by the validity period of the medical exam, which is typically 6 months max. They did extend this by 1 month. But expect to have 2 months tops to use it.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
16 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Congrats!

Be ready to enter quickly upon getting the visa. The visa is constained by the validity period of the medical exam, which is typically 6 months max. They did extend this by 1 month. But expect to have 2 months tops to use it.

Yeap! I told my fiance if you tell me you need more time to wrap up things, I will kill you since he had 6 months to do that.

He is shipping everything this weekend and already booked the flight. 

We just need the visa in his hands and we can finally start our lives together.

He had his medical 2 days before his interview in March which will expire I think next week originally but has been extended 1 month so it's plenty for us.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I got this email today and also saw the twitter post from Montreal Consulate. This is good news as I was one of the first ones to have their interview cancelled back in March. If they are going through the ones that just need to be approved then it won’t be too long I hope. 

I hope everyone else in other countries get some good news too.

4CBCDC93-5113-4875-A926-FC4CA0F0946D.jpeg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I was really starting to lose hope...This is the most positive news I've read in a while.  I hope embassies in other countries follow suit soon!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

To be clear, I emailed the US Embassy in Paris and they confirm that K-1 processing will NOT resume in countries subject to the travel ban order (ie European countries, Brazil...). Someone obtained the same answer from the US Embassy in Spain, and another in Sweden. So it may be good news for only some of us here, depending where your beneficiary lives.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I'm in Sweden and I had my interview March 12th (and medical March 2nd), and all I want is for them to issue my visa. I haven't seen my fiancé in a year and I'm really longing for this to be over with so we can finally be together. 😇 So... do you guys think there is any chance for me to be able to get my visa soon?

I've heard so many different things during the past couple of days... Someone saying that the travel ban doesn't matter because K1 is a high priority visa now to someone else saying that the travel ban still applies... but at the same time I saw a screenshot from an fb post about someone in Switzerland being rescheduled for an interview in two weeks. Switzerland is included in the Schengen area, so what does all of this mean? What can I do?

I'm also wondering about what will happen if the medical expires (in spite of the extra month that will happen in about 4 weeks)... Will it be enough for me to just redo the medical and perhaps send them anything else that might have expired? How much time has to go by for them to actually want me to redo the interview (and wait to get an appointment)? Anyone knows?

1 hour ago, stuckonyou said:

Someone saying that the travel ban doesn't matter because K1 is a high priority visa now to someone else saying that the travel ban still applies...

The DOS update about K-1 being high priority can't override the President's proclamations (Schengen Area; UK and Ireland; Brazil; mainland China; and Iran).

1 hour ago, stuckonyou said:

I saw a screenshot from an fb post about someone in Switzerland being rescheduled for an interview in two weeks.

Maybe that K-1 applicant meets an exemption. For example, the K-1 could be parent of US citizen child.

From the month of April to July, the following K-1 visas were issued in the Schengen Area:

• 1 K-1 visa in Athens
  • 1 K-1 visa in Bern
  • 1 K-1 visa in Bratislava
  • 1 K-1 visa in Frankfurt
  • 2 K-1 visas in Madrid
  • 1 K-1 visa in Naples
  • 2 K-1 visas in Paris
  • 1 K-1 visa in Prague
  • 1 K-1 visa in Riga
  • 4 K-1 visas in Stockholm
  • 1 K-1 visa in Tallinn
  • 2 K-1 visas in Vienna
  • 1 K-1 visa in Warsaw

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/Non-Immigrant-Statistics/MonthlyNIVIssuances/JULY 2020 - NIV Issuances by Post and Visa Class.pdf

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/Non-Immigrant-Statistics/MonthlyNIVIssuances/June 2020 - NIV Issuances by Post and Visa Class.pdf

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/Non-Immigrant-Statistics/MonthlyNIVIssuances/MAY 2020 - NIV Issuances by Post and Visa Class.pdf

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/Non-Immigrant-Statistics/MonthlyNIVIssuances/APRIL 2020 - NIV Issuances by Post and Visa Class.pdf

The following K-1 through London is parent of US citizen child, but that K-1 applicant barely got the visa about 2 weeks ago: https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=338037

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
10 minutes ago, HRQX said:

The DOS update about K-1 being high priority can't override the President's proclamations (Schengen Area; UK and Ireland; Brazil; mainland China; and Iran).

Maybe that K-1 applicant meets an exemption. For example, the K-1 could be parent of US citizen child.

From the month of April to July, the following K-1 visas were issued in the Schengen Area:

• 1 K-1 visa in Athens
  • 1 K-1 visa in Bern
  • 1 K-1 visa in Bratislava
  • 1 K-1 visa in Frankfurt
  • 2 K-1 visas in Madrid
  • 1 K-1 visa in Naples
  • 2 K-1 visas in Paris
  • 1 K-1 visa in Prague
  • 1 K-1 visa in Riga
  • 4 K-1 visas in Stockholm
  • 1 K-1 visa in Tallinn
  • 2 K-1 visas in Vienna
  • 1 K-1 visa in Warsaw

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/Non-Immigrant-Statistics/MonthlyNIVIssuances/JULY 2020 - NIV Issuances by Post and Visa Class.pdf

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/Non-Immigrant-Statistics/MonthlyNIVIssuances/June 2020 - NIV Issuances by Post and Visa Class.pdf

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/Non-Immigrant-Statistics/MonthlyNIVIssuances/MAY 2020 - NIV Issuances by Post and Visa Class.pdf

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/Non-Immigrant-Statistics/MonthlyNIVIssuances/APRIL 2020 - NIV Issuances by Post and Visa Class.pdf

The following K-1 through London is parent of US citizen child, but that K-1 applicant barely got the visa about 2 weeks ago: https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=338037

Where you got this info, on K1 as parent of US citizen child is exemption? All moderators here claim it is not exemption.

Timeline
13 minutes ago, HRQX said:

I was thinking more like that maybe a visa category being considering high priority could mean that it's exempt from the proclamation. Just like other exemptions. Students, for example. Or were students exempt from the beginning in the proclamation?

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Babaloo said:

Where you got this info, on K1 as parent of US citizen child is exemption? All moderators here claim it is not exemption.

I'm part of a Messenger group of with 6 other K1's all belonging to the embassy in Stockholm, and one of us got her visa issued in July (I think it was) because she and her fiancé have a son together. So when they started working enough for the baby to get his American passport issued she got her visa as well. This was way before the statement by DOS obviously.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, stuckonyou said:

I'm part of a Messenger group of with 6 other K1's all belonging to the embassy in Stockholm, and one of us got her visa issued in July (I think it was) because she and her fiancé have a son together. So when they started working enough for the baby to get his American passport issued she got her visa as well. This was way before the statement by DOS obviously.

I have 2 kids citizens  of my K1, her child from previous love aged out over 21, all my requests were  turned away ( k2 going over 21 soon) and blamed on covid, no visas in my case. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Babaloo said:

I have 2 kids citizens  of my K1, her child from previous love aged out over 21, all my requests were  turned away ( k2 going over 21 soon) and blamed on covid, no visas in my case. 

What country are they in? Perhaps it can have something to do with that particular embassy not being open yet or not have started working enough yet or something like that? 

I know that this girl had the baby already in March when she interviewed, so the interview was already done which I'm sure helped a lot. But she had to wait for the embassy to open back up and start issuing passports so that her son could get his passport. She was exempt from the beginning, but that didn't help as long as the embassy wasn't open and working to get the son the passport.

But if nothing else you guys should definitely contact the embassy again now after this statement from DOS. If they're open they should at least give the case high priority now.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.