nikki1992

Greencard extended automatically due to covid-19?

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi everyone. 

Sorry if this has been discussed already, but I couldn’t find it when I searched the forums. 

I received my conditional greencard in June 2019 and it expires in June 2021 (as usual). I recently went to the DMV to get my driving license renewed and while there the lady told me that my greencard has automatically been extended to 2026 because of covid-19 so my new driving license wouldn’t expire until 2025. 

I haven’t received a letter explaining any of this from USCIS, and haven’t received a new greencard with the 2026 expiry date so I just wondered if anyone has heard the same thing?

Edited by nikki1992

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
5 minutes ago, nikki1992 said:

Hi everyone. 

Sorry if this has been discussed already, but I couldn’t find it when I searched the forums. 

I received my conditional greencard in June 2019 and it expires in June 2021 (as usual). I recently went to the DMV to get my driving license renewed and while there the lady told me that my greencard has automatically been extended to 2026 because of covid-19 so my new driving license wouldn’t expire until 2025. 

I haven’t received a letter explaining any of this from USCIS, and haven’t received a new greencard with the 2026 expiry date so I just wondered if anyone has heard the same thing?

Don't believe them. You will have to file for ROC when it's close to expiration.

19 minutes ago, nikki1992 said:

Hi everyone. 

lol that is not true. DMV folks know nothing about immigration.

duh

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
23 minutes ago, Ayrton said:

Don't believe them. You will have to file for ROC when it's close to expiration.

10 minutes ago, James120383 said:

lol that is not true. DMV folks know nothing about immigration.

Yeah I was super surprised and suspicious when she said that. Especially since I hadn’t been told that by USCIS. At least I got an extended driving license from it lol

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

The DMV is completely separate from USCIS i can’t believe she would offer up “advice” that’s completely out of the scope of her practice.

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

48 minutes ago, nikki1992 said:

Yeah I was super surprised and suspicious when she said that. Especially since I hadn’t been told that by USCIS. At least I got an extended driving license from it lol

DMV folks just know nothing about immigration. good for you. dont have to go to DMV for another 5 years. this is pretty normal where they over estimate everything 

duh

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to ROC, from AOS Family - the OP's topic is about ROC.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Maybe you misunderstood and the license has been extended.  Each state's DMV has different rules.  My wife's FL license was 2 yrs when she got her AOS but when she got the conditional green card they extended it to 10 yrs. 

7 minutes ago, retheem said:

Lol don't believe DMV folks. They told me once that once I come into the US, I am automatically a US citizen

A lot of people seem to struggle with the fact that I can live here legally and not be a US citizen. No matter how much I explain!

20 hours ago, nikki1992 said:

That’s why she works at the DMV not USCIS. She knows nothing about immigration. 

Happy driving!

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

21 hours ago, nikki1992 said:

Hi everyone. 

What is that lady smoking??? Sounds like some strong stuff.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.