11 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
7 minutes ago, martha783 said:

If you AOS from B1/B2, at what point does your B1/B2 become invalid? I read an account where they punched it in an interview, but wondered if they invalidate it when you apply for AOS?

I don't know but I can imagine that it happens the moment you file for AOS cause in that moment you show an immigrant intend. You can't use it anymore anyways cause your time of traveling outside the country is over till you get the greencard or AP.

Edited by Letspaintcookies

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline
16 minutes ago, martha783 said:

If you AOS from B1/B2, at what point does your B1/B2 become invalid? I read an account where they punched it in an interview, but wondered if they invalidate it when you apply for AOS?

once you file AOS , you are no longer eligible to use B1/B2 

31-Jan-2020 : I-485 Filed

17-Feb-2020: I-765/I-131 Filed

24-May-2020: I-765/I-131 approved

31-May-2020: EAD/AP Combo Card received

05-Oct-2020: Biometrics Scheduled

20-Oct-2020: Biometrics Complete

30-Nov-2020: EAD/AP Renewal Filed

04-Dec-2020: AOS Case Was Transferred And A New Office Has Jurisdiction 😂😂 - Transfer from CSC to Nebraska Service Center  

22 Jan 2020: Writ of Mandamus Filed in Federal Court Against USCIS delay of AOS adjudication

17 minutes ago, martha783 said:

How can you use a B2 after you apply for adjustment of status????  The moment you exit the US prior to having approved advance parole, you abandon the adjustment.

"What I am to be, I am now becoming" - Ben Franklin         

:idea:MSC (National Benefits Center) I-751 filers- Please add your data :idea:                          https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Id1duRRByZHJmhEzl9N25GqwzcnUyLCR4e4N9W6zGLg/edit#gid=0

Retired 20 year US Air Force Missileer (Retired E-8)

Retired Registered Nurse with practice in Labor/Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, Adult Psych

Retired IT Professional, Software Developer, Database Manager

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Haiti
Timeline

When you file adjustment of status you show immigrant intent. No more traveling on a tourist visa.

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Spain
Timeline

Are you adjusting status by marrying a US citizen? Well, as they said, you lose your B1/B2 visa at the time your AoS package gets accepted and you received your NOA1. From this time, you cannot leave the country until you receive your travel permit (I-131 form for advance parole). You could not leave the country and use your tourist visa.

Are you already in the US? Be careful because if you are outside the US and try to come in a tourist visa with the intention to adjust status, that's fraud. But if you entered in a tourist visa without intention to stay and during your stay you decided to get married to a US citizen and decide to apply for adjustment of status, then that is ok and they should not invalidate your case in the interview if you show a legitimate and boda-fide marriage.

I hope this helps a little

20 minutes ago, juancarlos said:

Are you adjusting status by marrying a US citizen? Well, as they said, you lose your B1/B2 visa at the time your AoS package gets accepted and you received your NOA1. From this time, you cannot leave the country until you receive your travel permit (I-131 form for advance parole). You could not leave the country and use your tourist visa.

Are you already in the US? Be careful because if you are outside the US and try to come in a tourist visa with the intention to adjust status, that's fraud. But if you entered in a tourist visa without intention to stay and during your stay you decided to get married to a US citizen and decide to apply for adjustment of status, then that is ok and they should not invalidate your case in the interview if you show a legitimate and boda-fide marriage.

I hope this helps a little

We’ve been married 7 years and have 4 children. We are in the U.S. and entered with no intent to become residents, but 2020 has changed a lot of things!

It makes sense expressing intent to immigrate would mean visa is invalid. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Spain
Timeline
30 minutes ago, martha783 said:

We’ve been married 7 years and have 4 children. We are in the U.S. and entered with no intent to become residents, but 2020 has changed a lot of things!

It makes sense expressing intent to immigrate would mean visa is invalid. 

In that case then go ahead and apply for AoS if you want to live here.

21 hours ago, martha783 said:

Your B status doesn't automatically terminate when the AOS is filed. It continues running until your I-94 expires, but you can't extend it. I think your B status does terminate, however, if you enroll in school or start working based on your EAD.

Your B visa doesn't get automatically cancelled. If you re-enter the US using advance parole, the officer may cancel the B visa at the port of entry, though they also may not even see it at all.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.