Tim360

Wife came to the US and left me 3 days later

59 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
59 minutes ago, geowrian said:

She doesn't need his support to agree to a divorce.

An annulment itself does not change anything immigration-wise. A divorce and annulment are equal to USCIS - they both dissolve a marriage.

If there is a court finding of fraud, that may or may not be something USCIS would consider if they ever reviewed her file.

I'm not buying it, at least as described (I'm going to assume there was a lot of other details). CBP cannot "take your green card". They can refer you to an immigration judge if they have reason to suspect grounds for removal, although there would be no need to go through the whole CBP side of things. The same process (NTA -> court hearing) applies whether they do it in the US or at the border. Getting CBP involved is just adding complexity.

Hmmm...I guess she doesn't need his permission but I guess it will take longer if he doesn't help out? Thankfully, I don't have a lot of experience with divorce. I'm thinking of the type of divorce where you don't go to court. You just agree on property and sign off with a notary and an attorney files with the court. That's the shortest and cheapest way. Everything takes longer if you have to go through court. At least there are no children involved. It does sound like the best thing to do is have the papers drawn up and ask her to sign them like 'what was mine is mine and what was yours is yours' kind of thing. If her main thing was to get a green card she will want it done ASAP. It hurts to be played but I think the best thing to do is get it done and then don't even start writing to another girl for at least three years. :)

Edited by Pelmeni

Filed: Other Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I didn't make that scenario up. It was a very similar situation to the OP's that I had heard off from a family friend and that was how  he said it was handled... 

And when it comes to 'obvious fraud' they can make your life miserable when you are at least applying for the citizenship. Just because you don't see the ppl punished come up here in visa journey it doesn't means they don't exist.

And reporting fraud doesn't cost a penny, blaming the guy for getting conned is not helping him and is just encouraging other fraudsters out there ( by reading your posts) that they cant be touched if they play their cards right and once they get the 10 years green card they are untouchable.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 minute ago, Tim360 said:

Yes it would make me feel better because she used me and she should not be here, if they call me when she applies for citizenship i will for sure tell them that she scammed me 

Let it go, and seek happiness for yourself.......life is too short to be miserable due to the action of others.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

I would focus more on getting a divorce and removing this person from my life for good more than anything else, but of course you can report it if you view it as fraud. I wouldn’t expect a lot to come from it. 

Hey, I’m really sorry this happened. If it was a big scheme (sounds like it) then that is a really twisted thing to do to somebody. It takes somebody cruel to do something like this so you’re lucky this person is out of your life. 

Timeline
15 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

Let it go, and seek happiness for yourself.......life is too short to be miserable due to the action of others.

If he feels that way I can understand. I would send a letter to immigration stating fraud and what evidence I had. It may not change a thing as far as he is concerned but it may go in her file and it could help establish a pattern of behavior to help someone in the future or keep her from other fraud like bringing a new 'already selected' spouse into the country. It may make him feel a little closure knowing he did all he could do, too. However, after doing that, being heard which he deserves if he needs it, then he needs to move on, not check back or keep tabs. Let them handle it. If they want to talk with him them the will but let it go. All this in my opinion only of course. 

Hey, most of us have been used at least once in our lives so you are in good company and there are a lot of people here who genuinely wish you good things and are doing their best to give you good advice. That's something. Sorry, it happened to you! 

Edited by Pelmeni

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Pelmeni said:

If he feels that way I can understand. I would send a letter to immigration stating fraud and what evidence I had. It may not change a thing as far as he is concerned but it may go in her file and it could help establish a pattern of behavior to help in the future. However, after doing that, being heard which he deserves if he needs it, then he needs to move on, not check back or keep tabs. Let them handle it. If they want to talk with him them the will but let it go. All this in my opinion only of course. 

The OP is free to report it, of course.......but I doubt it would have any result.  After all, he gave USCIS and DOS ample  evidence that the marriage was bona fide.......marriages go bad every day.

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

20 minutes ago, Tim360 said:

Yes it would make me feel better because she used me and she should not be here, if they call me when she applies for citizenship i will for sure tell them that she scammed me 

Unfortunately you don’t get to decide who stays and who doesn’t. 

They won’t call you if/when she decides to apply for citizenship. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

7 minutes ago, ZirZai said:

The 'victim' is a very close friend of our family. Heard it first hand from the husband. They live in Georgia.

There was probably more to the story, I doubt it if anyone is gonna do anything to her green card at the airport if I simply report it, I even tried calling them and they don't answer there's just an answering machine 

for what it's worth, i would suggest making the report anyway. from the details you've shared here OP, she seems to be pretty knowledgeable about the immigration process and knows how to work it in her favor, and so who knows if she might do something somehow in the future to get you court to enforce the I-864 you filed for her. reporting her would, (at least i think so) get your side of the story documented in her file now. i feel like the sooner that report gets added on her the more credence it will have over time, just in case everything gets thrown into question. now, with this said, don't expect anything to come out of the report (as in, ICE or CBP investigating or doing any action at all) because i agree with what others have said on here in that they most likely will not do anything like that. report and take that as your closure.

Passport 17-Feb-22 Drop-off at USPS (expedited processing and shipping) ~ 22-Feb-22 Status: In Process ~ 08-Mar-22 Passport book shipped ~ 09-Mar-22 Status: Approved. Passport book in hand.

N-400     28-Jun-21 Filed online ~ 28-Jun-21 Received NOA + "Biometrics will be re-used" notice ~ 14-Dec-21 Interview scheduled ~ 25-Jan-22 Interview. Approved. Case status: Oath will be scheduled.  ~ 01-Feb-22 Oath scheduled. ~ 14-Feb-22 Oath ceremony.   

ROC        11-Jun-20 Application sent via FedEx ~ 16-Jun-20 Case received ~ 29-Jun-20 (Old) biometrics applied to case ~ 01-Jul-20 NOA ~ 23-Dec-21 Case transferred to new office ~ 25-Jan-22 Combo interview with N400. Case approved. 

AOS        13-Oct -17 Application sent via FedEx ~ 17-Oct-17 Case received ~ 24-Oct-17 Fingerprint fee received ~ 25-Oct-17 NOA1 ~ 17-Nov-17 Biometrics ~ 23-Nov-17 Status "We are scheduling
                 your 
interview" ~ 24-Jul-18 Status "We have scheduled your interview" ~ 28-Jul-18 Interview notice received in the mail  ~ 29-Aug-18 Interview 30-Aug-18 Status "Case was approved" 

04-Sep-18 Received approval / welcome letter in the mail ~04-Sep-18 Status: "Card was mailed to me" ~07-Sep-18 Green card received

EAD/AP  13-Oct Application sent via FedEx ~ 17-Oct Case received ~ 25-Oct NOA1 ~ 17-Nov Biometrics ~ 09-Jan Approved ~ 13-Jan Notice received ~ 18-Jan Combo card received

K1 Visa   28-Jun-17 Case ready (No packet 3 received) ~ 22-Jul Medical ~ 02-Aug Interview (APPROVED!) ~ 03-Aug Visa issued ~ 08-Aug VOH ~ 14-Sep POE (Abu Dhabi) ~ 01-Oct-17 Got married! 

I-129F     17-Feb-17 Petition sent via FedEx ~ 21-Feb-17 Case received ~ 24-Feb-17 NOA1 ~ 30-May-17 NOA2 12-Jun-17 NVC received / Case and Invoice numbers assigned ~ 20-Jun-17 NVC left

Timeline
2 minutes ago, doggieandsam said:

for what it's worth, i would suggest making the report anyway. from the details you've shared here OP, she seems to be pretty knowledgeable about the immigration process and knows how to work it in her favor, and so who knows if she might do something somehow in the future to get you court to enforce the I-864 you filed for her. reporting her would, (at least i think so) get your side of the story documented in her file now. i feel like the sooner that report gets added on her the more credence it will have over time, just in case everything gets thrown into question. now, with this said, don't expect anything to come out of the report (as in, ICE or CBP investigating or doing any action at all) because i agree with what others have said on here in that they most likely will not do anything like that. report and take that as your closure.

Excellent advice!

22 minutes ago, Tim360 said:

They won't contact you for her citizenship application.

Honestly, her getting citizenship would be best as that gets you off the hook for the I-864.

21 minutes ago, Pelmeni said:

Hmmm...I guess she doesn't need his permission but I guess it will take longer if he doesn't help out? Thankfully, I don't have a lot of experience with divorce. I'm thinking of the type of divorce where you don't go to court. You just agree on property and sign off with a notary and an attorney files with the court. That's the shortest and cheapest way. Everything takes longer if you have to go through court. At least there are no children involved. It does sound like the best thing to do is have the papers drawn up and ask her to sign them like 'what was mine is mine and what was yours is yours' kind of thing. If her main thing was to get a green card she will want it done ASAP. It hurts to be played but I think the best thing to do is get it done and then don't even start writing to another girl for at least three years. :)

Yes, an amicable divorce is usually much simpler. Although I doubt that was really on the table in the OP's case. haha They're long past the point of that being realistic. It's pretty much assured to go through court at this point, it sounds like.

21 minutes ago, ZirZai said:

I didn't make that scenario up. It was a very similar situation to the OP's that I had heard off from a family friend and that was how  he said it was handled... 

Honestly, they probably were just told something to make him feel better. Or he said it to make others think he got back at them.

Unless they can verify something was actually done (i.e. they were removed from the country for fraud, or even sent to removal proceedings), it just doesn't make sense.

And when it comes to 'obvious fraud' they can make your life miserable when you are at least applying for the citizenship. Just because you don't see the ppl punished come up here in visa journey it doesn't means they don't exist.

"He hit me (or threatened to do so), so I left."

Still obvious fraud? This isn't VAWA or anything...they aren't going to go back and determine if there was actual abuse. They don't have the time, money, or resources to go back and do that every time a spouse says their ex committed fraud.

Can't prove a negative..."Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence". I'm not saying that nobody who commits marriage fraud isn't caught later at naturalization, but that would depend on their specific circumstances. The timing alone would not be sufficient to prove fraud.

And reporting fraud doesn't cost a penny, blaming the guy for getting conned is not helping him and is just encouraging other fraudsters out there ( by reading your posts) that they cant be touched if they play their cards right and once they get the 10 years green card they are untouchable.

No harm in reporting. Just don't expect anything to happen and move on.

By that logic, the OP posting about their experience is encouraging other fraudsters. The reality is fraudsters generally already know this...that's what they do. Sure, some are awful at it, but this thread isn't going to change that. The other reality is a good fraudster will generally get away with it by playing their cards right...sorry to say it happens, but it is what it is.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

59 minutes ago, Tim360 said:

The wound still stings so I get how eager you are to get justice. But trust us, the more you spend effort trying to find some way for her to pay for what she did the more you will keep that wound open. A good example is how you mentioned how they will call you when she applies for citizenship. The problem is that she can apply for citizenship without the help of you in 5+ years. That is probably one of the main reasons why she waited after the 2 year marriage mark to leave. So that is an unrealistic expectation you have about her citizenship.

We really are trying to help you by telling you to move on. We really are. As you can tell, you are not the first person to come on this site with a story of fraud. That is why this section of the forum exist. And trust me, if there was an effective way for fraudsters like him to pay for what they did, it would be on top of the forum.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Change all passwords;  make sure you have Nothing financially together, no charge cards.. no checking accounts... no ties at all..   then just sit back and let her do the filing and let her pay for it....No kids together?   Dont' sweat it...just close/stop any credit or credit cards if you ever got anything joint.. if nothing joint... Let her pay for the divorce....Been There Done That.... karma 's a ...Or let new boyfriend pay for it...

True also... you can not do anything about reporting her for fraud.. or get her GC canceled....We just finished our Citz and it cost ? $850 plus our 2 kids;  So forget her... she'll be paying for anything from now on also..

ask anyone on here how "easy" it is to live in the land of the Free.. its not free... be glad your rid of her... I've tossed a few out... Happy 4th Year anniversary to us... 

Edited by Bebe Love

First off, sorry this has happened to you 😕 

Second....like others told you - she did it all for the Green Card...yup...the Green Card 🎶

Now that reality has set in for you (hopefully!)....find things that bring you joy and forget her. Situations like this are one of the reasons VJ exists so people can share their experiences.

Best believe that karma always comes full circle so I hope she can handle it when it knocks down her door :pop:

IR-1/CR-1
Spoiler

GOT MARRIED: 3-APR-2015 :wub:

HUSBAND FILED I-130: 29-MAY-2015

VISAS APPROVED: 15-JUN-2016

VISAS IN HAND; GREEN CARD FEES PAID: 21-JUN-2016

PORT OF ENTRY - FT. LAUDERDALE INTL AIRPORT: 06-AUG-2016
CONDITIONAL GREEN CARDS RECEIVED: 23-SEP-2016

I-751 FILER   
Spoiler
FILED REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS: 25-JUN-2018
FILE SENT TO NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER 11-MAY-2019
10-YR GREEN CARDS APPROVED 17-JUN-2019 
10-YR GREEN CARDS RECEIVED 21-JUN-2019 :dance: 

N-400 FILER
Spoiler
FILED CITIZENSHIP ONLINE; RECEIVED NOA1: 8-DEC-2019
BIOMETRICS WALK-IN: 18-DEC-2019
INTERVIEW SCHEDULED: 26-OCT-2020
APPROVED/SAME DAY OATH CEREMONY: 26-OCT-2020

US PASSPORT
APPLICATION APPOINTMENT AT USPS (ROUTINE): 16-SEP-2021
PASSPORT APPROVED: 30-SEP-2021
PASSPORT RECEIVED: 5-OCT-2021

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.