MrsKhatib

I-130 Notice of Intent to Deny based on fake marriage certificate

41 posts in this topic

I don't know if I am in the proper place because I am moving so quickly.  This is my 2nd I130 for my spouse.  My spouse over 10 years ago applied for a tourist visa (non-immigrant visa) and provided a fake marriage license (wife does not exist, nor does her country ID#) My 1st I130 was denied because my husband sent him a sworn statement  that he had never been married before and the attorney sent it (Lord knows why as we know that is just like a notary) so he was denied.  I hired a new attorney, explained my situation, gave him 2 court letters sealed/signed where a judge said my husband had never been married in his country before, also same letter from his town judge.   The new attorney submitted this, did not say anything.  He also unlike the first attorney said proof of bonafide married like pictures, receipts, affidavits etc were not needed at this stage.

Friday, I get the same thing...a Notice of Intent to deny.  This one (unlike last time) asked me for a sworn statement as to wife I did not say he was married on the application.  It asked for all proof of bonafide marriage and AGAIN, a divorce decree.    You cannot divorce someone you did not marry, no records of it, she does exist.   So I don't know what else I need?   Anyone heard of this before?

All attorneys I consulted with said that we would get through the I130 with a letter from the judges and then 50/50 chance of a waiver 601.

Anyone else been through this.......My husband admits his stupidity, his older sister made this, he just wanted to come visit a brother he had not seen in years.

1 hour ago, MrsKhatib said:

I don't know if I am in the proper place because I am moving so quickly.  This is my 2nd I130 for my spouse.  My spouse over 10 years ago applied for a tourist visa (non-immigrant visa) and provided a fake marriage license (wife does not exist, nor does her country ID#) My 1st I130 was denied because my husband sent him a sworn statement  that he had never been married before and the attorney sent it (Lord knows why as we know that is just like a notary) so he was denied.  I hired a new attorney, explained my situation, gave him 2 court letters sealed/signed where a judge said my husband had never been married in his country before, also same letter from his town judge.   The new attorney submitted this, did not say anything.  He also unlike the first attorney said proof of bonafide married like pictures, receipts, affidavits etc were not needed at this stage.

Friday, I get the same thing...a Notice of Intent to deny.  This one (unlike last time) asked me for a sworn statement as to wife I did not say he was married on the application.  It asked for all proof of bonafide marriage and AGAIN, a divorce decree.    You cannot divorce someone you did not marry, no records of it, she does exist.   So I don't know what else I need?   Anyone heard of this before?

All attorneys I consulted with said that we would get through the I130 with a letter from the judges and then 50/50 chance of a waiver 601.

Anyone else been through this.......My husband admits his stupidity, his older sister made this, he just wanted to come visit a brother he had not seen in years.

Stories like this show up several times a year on VJ. Unfortunately, there is virtually never an update where they were successful in overcoming the requirement to provide evidence that the marriage was terminated (because it never existed, obviously). You can do searches on this site and ask around, but the reality is I don't have a success case to refer you to.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

~One unrelated post and a response to it split into its own topic. Don’t jump in someone else’s topic with your situation. ~

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I assume they will need evidence of divorce or death. That is how these things seem to play out, issue a RFE for missing documents. Obviously a Judge can only comment on records they have access to.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Unfortunately, this story is very common.  You can find many cases on VJ where single people tell the US Government that they are married and end up trapped in their lies.  We ask for people to come back to inform us if they solved their problems, but we never hear back from them.

Your husband in his tourist visa application gave the US Government a marriage certificate saying he was married.  Now, he's trapped in his lie.  The US Government wants proof that he divorced and was free to legally marry you.  

With two denied I-130, you may need to consider moving to his country.  

Sorry.  

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

Are you absolutely sure he was not married before?  Hiding marriages and kids has happened before

Fair question.  If THAT is the lie, same result.  Denied petition or denied visa followed by appeal or waiver filing.  Either lie carries the same consequences.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
14 hours ago, MrsKhatib said:

Weuh! dealing with immigration and dealing with a woman are one and the same thing; anything you say can and will be used against you.

Filed: Timeline

Can you explain more about the 2 court letters from a Judge saying he wasnt married before? How and why did they give him that? I cant imagine a scenario where you can just meet with a Judge and have them issue a letter? Also the fake document he submitted- do you have a copy of it? As pushbrk explained the first step is getting USCIS to acknowledge the first marriage was a lie. Once they establish that you can move on to trying to overcome the fact that you lied. You are stuck right now with them still looking for proof so your focus needs to be on showing it was a lie. Often a statement from a person that says they lied is enough but since it seems you produced a document about the lie (rather then just checking off a box on the DS that says you are married) so now you have the burden to prove the document you submitted was fake because they are not just accepting your word. So I am thinking if you have a copy of the fake document you may be able to go to the records office (where you would go to get a copy of it if it was legit) and having them certify that no such record exists and its a fake document. Is that what the Judge did? If you dont have the document you can attempt to get it through FOIA but that can take a while, you can also attempt to get a statement from the records clerk stating the info requested (his name, her name, date, etc) does not exist. Its better if you have the specific document for them to certify is fake though. 

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Your situation is different than others that I have read.  Others have overcome it because they only made a statement on application for tourist visa that they were married or was in a common law marriage.  You actually submitted a document.  That will not be easy to overturn as not being true.  You will have to admit to the truth with the evidence of no such person exists.  

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

1 hour ago, Villanelle said:

Often a statement from a person that says they lied is enough

In general I agree with this. Although when it comes to lying about marital status, everything I've seen is they want hard evidence and will not just accept somebody's word that they lied in the past.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
1 hour ago, Villanelle said:

Can you explain more about the 2 court letters from a Judge saying he wasnt married before? How and why did they give him that? I cant imagine a scenario where you can just meet with a Judge and have them issue a letter? Also the fake document he submitted- do you have a copy of it? As pushbrk explained the first step is getting USCIS to acknowledge the first marriage was a lie. Once they establish that you can move on to trying to overcome the fact that you lied. You are stuck right now with them still looking for proof so your focus needs to be on showing it was a lie. Often a statement from a person that says they lied is enough but since it seems you produced a document about the lie (rather then just checking off a box on the DS that says you are married) so now you have the burden to prove the document you submitted was fake because they are not just accepting your word. So I am thinking if you have a copy of the fake document you may be able to go to the records office (where you would go to get a copy of it if it was legit) and having them certify that no such record exists and its a fake document. Is that what the Judge did? If you dont have the document you can attempt to get it through FOIA but that can take a while, you can also attempt to get a statement from the records clerk stating the info requested (his name, her name, date, etc) does not exist. Its better if you have the specific document for them to certify is fake though. 

Weuh..this tongue twister is so twisted untwisting the tongue twister is a tongue twister- what am I even saying lol

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

To clarify if he got a ban that would be a result, the problem if getting past the RFE.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.