David & Olga

US Embassy Reopening - Update Thread

580 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline
3 hours ago, LegalAlienn said:

Hi all.. so I read that ITF (International Tennis Federation) has announced that all the tennis tournaments worldwide will be continued from August. Also US Open championship is still being on time as normal in the end of August. With that said, my guess is that they will have to open consular office because I’m sure there are many players and staff that need to get visas. 
Now my fear is, if they will put some restrictions for K1 visas or they might allow those people to get exemptions somehow. Again, it’s all about sitting tight and waiting. Good luck too all 

Likely they will just take the special people aside and do only their VISAs

54 minutes ago, HKS said:

Likely they will just take the special people aside and do only their VISAs

Yes, that is my biggest fear too. Let’s hope that doesn’t happen in case they start processing.

41 minutes ago, LegalAlienn said:

Yes, that is my biggest fear too. Let’s hope that doesn’t happen in case they start processing.

Multiple countries have already announced that professional athletes will fall under different circumstances.  And most important of all considering the premise of this forum, the USA.

Edited by Louis61404

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Gambia
Timeline

Direct from the embassy consular section. I spoke to a consular officer and they’re saying they’re monitoring the covid situation so they will be closed until further notice. My guess here is 22nd when the executive order expires of 1st July when most flights start flying out and states are almost fully opened. 

Timeline
39 minutes ago, Louis61404 said:

Romania is back in business - seems like quite a few embassies are taking the "mission critical" advice from DOS and moving forward with the IR1/CR1 and IR2/CR2 interviews.  Excellent news.

We need all countries back processing any/all VISA... Noone is more important than another. We are all suffering expecially during covid. (I've been exposed twice now.... Waiting another 14 days to see if I get sick) 

32 minutes ago, HKS said:

We need all countries back processing any/all VISA... Noone is more important than another. We are all suffering expecially during covid. (I've been exposed twice now.... Waiting another 14 days to see if I get sick) 

There are definitely visas that are more important than others.  Unfortunately, the world doesn't work in the way it appears you want it to.  Not every embassy will be opening next week, but some will.  I'm here to pass along the information about Romania processing IR1/CR1 again - this is incredible news, and it isn't even my embassy.

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Louis61404 said:

There are definitely visas that are more important than others.  Unfortunately, the world doesn't work in the way it appears you want it to.  Not every embassy will be opening next week, but some will.  I'm here to pass along the information about Romania processing IR1/CR1 again - this is incredible news, and it isn't even my embassy.

Calm down

I wasn't trying to say that one country should not be opening when others aren't. 

Although I find it hard to believe that a tennis player is more important 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline
51 minutes ago, HKS said:

Calm down

I wasn't trying to say that one country should not be opening when others aren't. 

Although I find it hard to believe that a tennis player is more important 

Athletes are Entertainers who bring big money to economies and corporations. When big money is involved, exceptions are always made.

Due to the Presidential Proclamation titled “Suspending Entry of Immigrants Who Present Risk to the U.S. Labor Market During the Economic Recovery Following the COVID-19 Outbreak.”, the Immigrant Visa Unit at the U.S. Embassy is severely restricted on the processing of visa cases. If your visa is NOT one of the following exceptions, we are not able to assist you at this time.

Any individual who is the spouse of a U.S. citizen (IR1/CR1 visa classifications)
Any individual who is under 21 years old and is the child of a U.S. citizen, or who is a prospective adoptee seeking to enter the United States (IR2/CR2, IR-4 or IH-4 visa classifications)
Any individual seeking to enter the United States:  on an immigrant visa as a physician, nurse, or other healthcare professional; to perform medical research or other research intended to combat the spread of COVID-19; or to perform work essential to combating, recovering from, or otherwise alleviating the effects of the COVID-19 outbreak, as determined by the Secretary of State, the Secretary of Homeland Security, or their respective designees; and any spouse and unmarried children under 21 years old of any such individual who are accompanying or following to join the individual (E3 visa classification)

Please continue to check the embassy website for additional information for when you will be able to reschedule your appointment.

i received this email from the London embassy today after my interview scheduled for July 14th was cancelled. I am unable to reschedule for a later date at the moment.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline
2 hours ago, Ollieh97 said:

Due to the Presidential Proclamation titled “Suspending Entry of Immigrants Who Present Risk to the U.S. Labor Market During the Economic Recovery Following the COVID-19 Outbreak.”, the Immigrant Visa Unit at the U.S. Embassy is severely restricted on the processing of visa cases. If your visa is NOT one of the following exceptions, we are not able to assist you at this time.

Any individual who is the spouse of a U.S. citizen (IR1/CR1 visa classifications)
Any individual who is under 21 years old and is the child of a U.S. citizen, or who is a prospective adoptee seeking to enter the United States (IR2/CR2, IR-4 or IH-4 visa classifications)
Any individual seeking to enter the United States:  on an immigrant visa as a physician, nurse, or other healthcare professional; to perform medical research or other research intended to combat the spread of COVID-19; or to perform work essential to combating, recovering from, or otherwise alleviating the effects of the COVID-19 outbreak, as determined by the Secretary of State, the Secretary of Homeland Security, or their respective designees; and any spouse and unmarried children under 21 years old of any such individual who are accompanying or following to join the individual (E3 visa classification)

Please continue to check the embassy website for additional information for when you will be able to reschedule your appointment.

i received this email from the London embassy today after my interview scheduled for July 14th was cancelled. I am unable to reschedule for a later date at the moment.

I am sorry. You are in K1 visa process? That’s why they canceled?

50 minutes ago, Kate.Alday said:

I am sorry. You are in K1 visa process? That’s why they canceled?

Yes, I assume so. Although I just checked the website and it allowed me to reschedule my interview for July 9th, 5 days earlier than my original interview which is strange. I assume this will probably be cancelled also although I can hope it goes ahead!

7 hours ago, Ollieh97 said:

Yes, I assume so. Although I just checked the website and it allowed me to reschedule my interview for July 9th, 5 days earlier than my original interview which is strange. I assume this will probably be cancelled also although I can hope it goes ahead!

all K1 visa interview are getting cancel every country thus far

I enquired about when the US embassy in Nairobi will open for routine Visa services for my fiance who needs a K-1 Visa interview and received the following response. It seems they are waiting on the ban on public gatherings to be lifted in Kenya, and not the "ok" from Washington.  Hope the GOK let's the ban end on July 6th. 

IMG_20200620_172411.jpg

Filed: IR-2 Country: Somalia
Timeline
On 6/21/2020 at 12:28 AM, My Mzuri said:

I enquired about when the US embassy in Nairobi will open for routine Visa services for my fiance who needs a K-1 Visa interview and received the following response. It seems they are waiting on the ban on public gatherings to be lifted in Kenya, and not the "ok" from Washington.  Hope the GOK let's the ban end on July 6th. 

IMG_20200620_172411.jpg

I got the same response from Nairobi embassy, let us hope suspension of public gatherings ends by July 6th.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.