17 posts in this topic

Hey guys;

I have a few questions regarding the form I-485, hopefully you'll be able to help me.

First at all, I entered the country under a B2-VISITOR visa in 2008, overstayed. 

The passport that had that visa was lost. Many many many years ago I had gone to a bar and had many drinks and well, I lost it. I did not lose the I-94, back in the day they'd give you a small "card" so I had that saved at home. Anyways, I have the passport number, I however don't have the expiration date on that passport.

PART 1, question #17 asks  for that passport's expiration date, and of course I don't have it. I have just my current passport that I got a few years ago.

What should do there? Type my new current's passport expiration date?

And I know this will sound ridiculous but...

PART 7, question #1 I am Hispanic yes, but then PART 7, question #2 says "race", I don't know, am I white? lol I'm definitely none these others (Asian, Black, American Indian, Hawaiian)

PART 8, question #15, have you ever been denied a visa? The first time I applied for my B2, I was denied. Is that YES to that question?
PART 8, question #16, have you ever worked in the USA without authorization? Duh, I've been here for 14 years, many random jobs, got paid cash, personal checks, ect, is that a YES?
PART 8, question #17 have you ever violated the terms or conditions of your non-immigrant status?  I mean, I'm an overstay, is that a YES?
PART 8, question #78 have you ever renounced US citizenship to avoid being taxed by the united states? I don't even have a green card yet, is that a NO?
PART 9 question #1 are you requesting an accommodation because of your disabilities or impairments? I'm not disabled or impaired, is that a NO?

I know these are silly questions but I'm trying to see how people in the same boat have answered these questions.

*** Moved to "Adjustment of Status from Work, Student, & Tourist Visas" section of the forum.

VJ Moderation

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

P1, Q17, put expiry date of current passport 

p7, q1&2, tick Hispanic and white

q15, yes

q16, yes

q17, yes, both overstay and working.

q78, no

p9, q1, no

A 12 year overstay and continued violation of your visa conditions (staying, working and probable tax issues) isn’t something to be considered as ridiculous or taken lightheartedly. 

Edited by Duke & Marie

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
11 hours ago, Johnny6751 said:

What country ?   Please fill in your timeline.

"Tales of the Green card" 

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
On 5/26/2020 at 9:57 PM, Johnny6751 said:

PART 8, question #16, have you ever worked in the USA without authorization? Duh, I've been here for 14 years, many random jobs, got paid cash, personal checks, ect, is that a YES?

I mean, you kinda answered it yourself...

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cameroon
Timeline

@ra0010 in that part I would have said "NO" and then find a good way to respond when I will be in front of them... 

@Johnny6751 When filing your forms, you have to be very cautious. Even if you did something, always said you did not especially in PART 8... when you said YES, it makes your case more difficult than it is. Your only affirmative answer should be about violating your non immigrant status in that part.

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, Bayanoparker02 said:

@ra0010 in that part I would have said "NO" and then find a good way to respond when I will be in front of them... 

@Johnny6751 When filing your forms, you have to be very cautious. Even if you did something, always said you did not especially in PART 8... when you said YES, it makes your case more difficult than it is. Your only affirmative answer should be about violating your non immigrant status in that part.

So... you're telling them to actively mislead/lie to the USCIS on the forms they're submitting? That is YIKES.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cameroon
Timeline
29 minutes ago, gramercygreen said:

So... you're telling them to actively mislead/lie to the USCIS on the forms they're submitting? That is YIKES.

I'm not telling them to lie... I'm just saying that the Part 8 questions are so complicated and embarrassing when filing them. Legally you ain't supposed to work when you out of status or on B1/B2 visa... I don't know in what status you are currently but that's just the form. They will re asked you those questions at the interview and it will be the best moment to explain them in details... Or when you mention it before even the approval of your case, you will have 2 majors denials situations. 

If you kill somebody for example, you will not admit that on the form because it is considered as a RED FLAG... That's what I meant. They already know things might happened in between years but don't just admit at the first sight. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

It is a violation of the site's Terms of Service to:

"Condone or instruct, either directly or indirectly, others on how to commit fraudulent or illegal immigration activities in any way, shape, manner or method."

The brand-new member who is making such recommendations is in severe danger of administrative action.

Do not lie, EVER, to USCIS, a consular officer, or a CBP agent.

VJ Moderation

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
6 hours ago, Johnny6751 said:

Don't worry, I will NOT follow that advise previously given haha. Lying to USCIS is the worse mistake you could ever make. 

Please fill in your timeline.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
5 hours ago, Bayanoparker02 said:

I'm not telling them to lie...

Entering false information on an immigration form is lying.........and that can result in an inadmissibility for misrepresentation.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
9 hours ago, Bayanoparker02 said:

I'm not telling them to lie... I'm just saying that the Part 8 questions are so complicated and embarrassing when filing them. Legally you ain't supposed to work when you out of status or on B1/B2 visa... I don't know in what status you are currently but that's just the form. They will re asked you those questions at the interview and it will be the best moment to explain them in details... Or when you mention it before even the approval of your case, you will have 2 majors denials situations. 

If you kill somebody for example, you will not admit that on the form because it is considered as a RED FLAG... That's what I meant. They already know things might happened in between years but don't just admit at the first sight. 

This is absolutely not the correct mindset for this process. Do not lie, assume they know everything beforehand and are waiting to catch you in a lie.

If you kill someone you absolutely have to disclose that and deal with it being a red flag. Risking a misrep is a huge mistake. DO NOT think that these officers want to go on fishing expeditions for these answers, that's NUTS.

Edited by Mollie09

Filed: Timeline

I understand the reasoning used by @Bayanoparker02 - Many people (mistakenly) think that if you check of yes to certain questions the form is going to be denied no questions asked. That is simply not true. There are certain things that can prevent you from being eligible for adjustment of status. Checking off the incorrect answer does not change the facts. It actually causes more issues because at the bottom of the form where you sign you are signing under penalty of perjury that all the info is correct. If you have to answer yes to a question and feel you have additional things to say about it you can use the part of the form for adding additional information or wait for it to be addressed in the interview. 

If its an issue that can NOT be overcome then there is nothing you can do to overcome it. If it can be overcome then you are always given the opportunity to overcome it - either during the process or through an appeal. Even when you cant overcome it they give you an opportunity to.

As an example- my first husband had a lot of issues I did not know about. I was very young and naive about immigration in general. After many years I encouraged him to apply for citizenship as other members in his family were doing such. He was reluctant but finally applied. We went to his interview. It was very strange. When we got there they put us in a separate waiting room with a private guard. (?) Then the Officer came out and made an odd comment that my husband didnt 'look like such a scary guy' and said I was welcome to come in to the interview and told the guard he didnt have to come in and could just wait in the hall. So I went in with my husband. They chatted for a bit and at the end the Officer said he could not approve him right now due to his criminal record. He gave him an RFE type sheet asking for paperwork for an attempted murder charge- something I had NO IDEA about since it was before we even met. The Officer presented it in a way that made it sound like just show us the paperwork and we can then approve you. When we got home I looked into it a bit and the truth is no matter what paperwork he presented he would not be able to naturalize. Not now, not ever. 

@Johnny6751 Did you post this in the correct sub forum? Are you doing AOS from work or student? Or did you post here because you were a tourist at one point? Is your AOS based on marriage? Unauthorized work is not an issue if you are spouse of USC. If you are not it can be an issue preventing you from adjusting. Otherwise I agree with all the answers @Duke & Marie listed. Another concern when you have unauthorized work is if you have been paying taxes (usually they are paid with an ITIN). It can also cause issues depending on how you worked (if you used false documents or ever claimed to be a USC vs just getting paid under the table).

Timeline
15 minutes ago, Villanelle said:

Did you post this in the correct sub forum? Are you doing AOS from work or student?

Entered on a B2 in 2008.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.