NotAFish

Can I attend the interview with my wife?

28 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
4 hours ago, WORRIEDSPOUSE said:

Jim Hacking my attorney has videos on this exact topic, and is against USC to attend the interview. I attended the interview with my husband and I believed that was the reason we are in Administrative processing for this long it's been 16 long months. I ended up having to leave my husband in Guyana. It was the hardest thing I had to do. Please think long and hard about your decision about going. You can go for moral support but do not go inside with her.

Personally, I think this is a very individual decision, and it first depends on whether or not the embassy/consulate even allows it.  If it is allowed, my view is that it helps for the USC spouse to be there, for moral support and to be part of the interview if asked anything to verify that the relationship is bona fide.  I flew to Brazil for my husband's visa interview last year because he wanted me there.  The Rio Consulate allows spouses/fiances to be present for the interview, and I was called to the window for the interview and we were each asked two simple questions.  The IO was able to observe how we interacted, listen to how we spoke Portuguese with each other, saw the non-verbal language, the quick touch of the hands, the reassuring glances between us, the nervous smiles, and my husband's visa was approved after a 4-minute interview.  I've been an active member of VJ for two years, and I have seen many examples of spousal visas that were denied when the USC spouse did not attend the interview abroad, and none that were denied because the USC spouse did attend the interview.  I'm not sure where Jim Hacking's advice is coming from, maybe he also says it depends on the unique situation of each couple, location, etc...  So at the end of the day, you make your own decisions, right?  Good luck whatever you decide!  Administrative processing is most likely because of other reasons, unrelated to your being there for his interview.

Edited by carmel34

8 minutes ago, jaysaldi said:

These consular officers spend all day telling foreigners "No." It's a lot harder for them to tell an American standing in front of them "I'm going to effectively prevent you from marrying the person of your choice."

Can you clarify this? I'm not sure I am reading it right.

I attended my now wife's, interview I distinctly remember a few couples get denied even when the USC was right there.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
13 minutes ago, jaysaldi said:

These consular officers spend all day telling foreigners "No." It's a lot harder for them to tell an American standing in front of them "I'm going to effectively prevent you from marrying the person of your choice."

I don't think it bothers them one bit to say "no"

YMMV

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Guyana
Timeline
2 hours ago, jaysaldi said:

Can you provide a direct link to where he advises against the US citizen attending?  I understand some embassies don't allow it, but I can't imagine why it would be a bad idea for the spouse to attend the overseas interview if it's permitted. 

You can look him on youtube all his videos are there and he even did webinars on this as well!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Guyana
Timeline
1 hour ago, carmel34 said:

Personally, I think this is a very individual decision, and it first depends on whether or not the embassy/consulate even allows it.  If it is allowed, my view is that it helps for the USC spouse to be there, for moral support and to be part of the interview if asked anything to verify that the relationship is bona fide.  I flew to Brazil for my husband's visa interview last year because he wanted me there.  The Rio Consulate allows spouses/fiances to be present for the interview, and I was called to the window for the interview and we were each asked two simple questions.  The IO was able to observe how we interacted, listen to how we spoke Portuguese with each other, saw the non-verbal language, the quick touch of the hands, the reassuring glances between us, the nervous smiles, and my husband's visa was approved after a 4-minute interview.  I've been an active member of VJ for two years, and I have seen many examples of spousal visas that were denied when the USC spouse did not attend the interview abroad, and none that were denied because the USC spouse did attend the interview.  I'm not sure where Jim Hacking's advice is coming from, maybe he also says it depends on the unique situation of each couple, location, etc...  So at the end of the day, you make your own decisions, right?  Good luck whatever you decide!  Administrative processing is most likely because of other reasons, unrelated to your being there for his interview.

All valid points, well received. We had a very quick interview and were told we are approved, until we were put in AP with no additional documents requested. I as well believe that it definitely helps that the USC the petitioner is there but, he strongly advised on not going to the interview unless the consulate asks for you to accompany the beneficiary. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
2 hours ago, jaysaldi said:

Is the consular officers from the native country or the US? I was under the assumption that they were American and interviewing foriegners? 

36 minutes ago, stringpuller said:

Is the consular officers from the native country or the US? I was under the assumption that they were American and interviewing foriegners? 

There is the first interview going over basic things with the beneficiary and that is done by a citizen of that country. There is then one last interview with the American CO. 

3 hours ago, Unlockable said:

Can you clarify this? I'm not sure I am reading it right.

I attended my now wife's, interview I distinctly remember a few couples get denied even when the USC was right there.

They can tell the couple that they are approved then it goes in to Administrative Processing and later denied. 

9 hours ago, WORRIEDSPOUSE said:

Jim Hacking my attorney has videos on this exact topic, and is against USC to attend the interview. I attended the interview with my husband and I believed that was the reason we are in Administrative processing for this long it's been 16 long months. I ended up having to leave my husband in Guyana. It was the hardest thing I had to do. Please think long and hard about your decision about going. You can go for moral support but do not go inside with her. Good luck to you both!

3 hours ago, WORRIEDSPOUSE said:

You can look him on youtube all his videos are there and he even did webinars on this as well!!

But I attended the interview and, not only was it accepted, the CO asked me questions also. In English!!

I'm not understanding this guy's (Jim Hacking) logic on this if this is true. Some embassies not only allow it but encourages it if it is possible.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

10 hours ago, WORRIEDSPOUSE said:

Jim Hacking my attorney has videos on this exact topic, and is against USC to attend the interview. I attended the interview with my husband and I believed that was the reason we are in Administrative processing for this long it's been 16 long months. I ended up having to leave my husband in Guyana. It was the hardest thing I had to do. Please think long and hard about your decision about going. You can go for moral support but do not go inside with her. Good luck to you both!

I’m curious as to what happed  by your attending the interview. Did they tell you specifics?  

11 hours ago, WORRIEDSPOUSE said:

You're comparing apples and oranges here.  OP is wise to take advice from others who have interviewed at HCMC consulate.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Can this topic please be closed? 

I have answers from those who have direct experience with the HCMC US Consulate and I'd prefer not to continue getting notifications about this thread regarding side topics about other locations.

Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Thread locked as requested by the OP~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.