NotAFish

Can I attend the interview with my wife?

28 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

For most embassies if you present yourself with your passport as a USC they usually oblage and allow you wait for your spouse inside the embassy or even be part of the interview 

Edited by Sparkle Sparkle

Speak the truth even if your voice shakes

In Vietnam, yes they allow petitioner in.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Yes you can attend the interview with her. Do you have an interview date yet?

The problem with you coming to Vietnam is if you are allowed into the country, since they are not allowing foreigners in right now unless with Diplomatic visas. And even if you could come here, you face a mandatory 14 day quarantine.

The consulate just announced they will reopen June 1st with very limited services. No mention was made about visa interviews restarting yet.

Good Luck

Timeline
40 minutes ago, craig5977 said:

The problem with you coming to Vietnam is if you are allowed into the country, since they are not allowing foreigners in right now unless with Diplomatic visas. And even if you could come here, you face a mandatory 14 day quarantine.

The consulate just announced they will reopen June 1st with very limited services. No mention was made about visa interviews restarting yet.

Good Luck

Thanks much, no interview date yet, and good to hear about June 1st.  I live in Vietnam and have for the past several years with my wife, so no issues getting here.

Timeline
1 hour ago, craig5977 said:

Good Luck

I hope this passes sooner then later. I was preparing a visit in January when this all broke out.  

I hope the consulate officers take in account we could not travel for visits during this time.

They can't possibly hold this against us? My attorney said to make sure to visit at least every 6 months 

Timeline
22 minutes ago, stringpuller said:

I hope this passes sooner then later. I was preparing a visit in January when this all broke out.  

I hope the consulate officers take in account we could not travel for visits during this time.

They can't possibly hold this against us? My attorney said to make sure to visit at least every 6 months 

If it were me, and keep in mind that I am only at the NVC stage, I would work hard to document all of your travel plans, even those that fell through due to this situation, and consistent contact.  I'm sure they will understand the difficulty.

Good luck!!  :) 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
1 hour ago, craig5977 said:

Good Luck

Hi where was the announcement made? Also re interviews, I suspect during the pandemic they may limit the amount of people in the embassy making it hard for anyone other than the beneficiary to attend.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Guyana
Timeline

Jim Hacking my attorney has videos on this exact topic, and is against USC to attend the interview. I attended the interview with my husband and I believed that was the reason we are in Administrative processing for this long it's been 16 long months. I ended up having to leave my husband in Guyana. It was the hardest thing I had to do. Please think long and hard about your decision about going. You can go for moral support but do not go inside with her. Good luck to you both!

1 minute ago, WORRIEDSPOUSE said:

Jim Hacking my attorney has videos on this exact topic, and is against USC to attend the interview. I attended the interview with my husband and I believed that was the reason we are in Administrative processing for this long it's been 16 long months. I ended up having to leave my husband in Guyana. It was the hardest thing I had to do. Please think long and hard about your decision about going. You can go for moral support but do not go inside with her. Good luck to you both!

I came in with my spouse, they did ask me a few questions and we had the visa in a week.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Timeline
23 minutes ago, NotAFish said:

If it were me, and keep in mind that I am only at the NVC stage, I would work hard to document all of your travel plans, even those that fell through due to this situation, and consistent contact.  I'm sure they will understand the difficulty.

Good luck!!  :) 

Thanks. We message daily and also video chat. Quite often. 

Timeline
8 minutes ago, WORRIEDSPOUSE said:

Different country? Thats odd that would be the reason? 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Guyana
Timeline
27 minutes ago, NancyNguyen said:

I came in with my spouse, they did ask me a few questions and we had the visa in a week.

Our interview was very simple and were even told we have proven our case and got the visa. No additional documents were requested etc. I guess it depends on the country and how clear cut your case is. There isn't any set rules for whether or not one's spouse can or cannot attend. This entire process is supposed to be an easy one but we all have different experiences and our end results are the same which is we either get to bring our significant other right away or we have a long road ahead of us. We're all here to share our experiences and then it's up to that individual whether he/she wants to accompany their spouse to the interview. Had I know this ahead of time I honestly wouldn't have gone. 

1 hour ago, WORRIEDSPOUSE said:

Some embassies permit the spouse attending, some encourage it, some forbid it (London is an example of that). That’s why this was posted in the Vietnam forum: to get experiences from others who have interviewed in Vietnam. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

4 hours ago, WORRIEDSPOUSE said:

Can you provide a direct link to where he advises against the US citizen attending?  I understand some embassies don't allow it, but I can't imagine why it would be a bad idea for the spouse to attend the overseas interview if it's permitted. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.