TransAtlanticLove

Challenging relationship remains... challenging

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi all!

This site was an amazing support system when my husband and I were going through the visa process. I've got to know so many of you all offline but I'm having an issue I thought only other VJers could understand.

I have been married to my husband for 2 years and we are both really unhappy. There's a lot of reasons behind this that are all valid. One of them being he was initially banned while we were dating for overstaying by one week while on a visitor's visa. Thus began the uphill battle of an immediate proposal and the fun fun fun K-1 process (end sarcasm). Anyway, I am 7 years older than him and tried to prepare him for the realities of leaving his home, his job, his country, his family and friends but at the time as a 26 year old I don't think he fully comprehended what I meant. I've moved between countries and states and had to start over many times before so I was trying to impart some experienced knowledge to him.

Well now all the things I've mentioned he misses. We fight a lot about stuff because I am financially 100% responsible for us both and it's causing a strain. I even bought him a car! We have discussed divorce as well. While I make good money, I have 3 jobs that I'm fortunate enough to be able to do from home, he doesn't seem to appreciate the fact that I'm paying for our $5k/month lifestyle. He's almost gone through the little savings he had when he arrived. 

To add insult to injury he does not seem to posess nor be picking up the life skills I thought he had. He does not cook. He is very messy like a college student (I have to nag for him to clean up - ughh), he doesn't know anything about taxes, savings, retirement, health insurance or the likes. I am essentially a mother figure to him at the moment in the way I care for him.

He is a Momma's boy, which I knew, I just didn't fathom it to this level. I'm at my wits ends. He is very reliant on his family for money and the work connections they provided. We both come from well off families but mine taught me about hard work. I also paid for more than half of the wedding and most of my honeymoon. He says he doesn't like to argue about money because he never has in other relationships but I know this isn't like any relationship either of us has ever had. When I met him in his country he wasn't this way. He used to spoil me and put in effort to make sure we were both happy.

He just got his work card a couple of months ago but then the pandemic happened. Even then the work he was doing would not have produced a living wage. I feel like I married a boy and not someone who is ready to face the hard work that marriage sometimes entails. We are not connecting anymore in a lot of ways and I feel like he's resistant to "grow up" and doesn't seem to want a career or even to go back to school for another degree (which him and his Mom both offered to pay for). I don't see any drive at all to better his life or social circle as he has no friends here and is an introvert.

I've  also got a sneaking suspicion that he has undiagnosed ADD as he can't concentrate on conversations we have, has issues staying focused, doesn't like "serious talks", plays video games or watches TV literally ALL of the hours he is awake (never seen him read a book in 4 years), likes to watch sports and drink, and is never without his phone in his hand. None of this is a result of the lockdown, he has been like this since moving here.

We've gone to couples therapy a couple of times (3) but didn't continue, for one reason it was an added expense but for another he said he wasn't really getting much out of it. I think we're both depressed but he thinks depression is an "American" thing and also doesn't want the label I believe of being unhappy.

Our home burned down a month ago (perfect timing right?) and I was faced with the fact that it was/is all on me to sort things out and get us into a new residence. He is literally unable to help because he doesn't have income. We've been staying with a friend of mine but we can't do this forever.

What the hell do I do? Am I wrong for being upset and disappointed?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

The kind of advice, validation, direction you need cannot be reasonably found on an internet message board where we only hear your side of the story.

Your kind of problem is what couples therapy is for and if that doesn’t work, the alternative is divorce.

Good luck.

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
9 hours ago, TransAtlanticLove said:

I am 7 years older than him and tried to prepare him for the realities of leaving his home, his job, his country, his family and friends but at the time as a 26 year old I don't think he fully comprehended what I meant.

This seems to be fundamental.  "Age is just a number" except when "we don't know what we don't know" and resist learning what we need to know despite having been told that we need to.

Matters are complicated further by his introversion (which is not to be underemphasized) and the alien-to-him culture.

Only you can decide whether to keep applying effort.  As stated, you'll be responsible under the I-864 unless you withdraw it... and if he has his work permit already, AOS approval is probably not long off.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

From my perspective, as a woman, I would not and could not ever bring myself to find a momma's boy as husband material. Nor should a woman ever fool herself into thinking that she can somehow change or even 'break' such behavior. It sounds as if there were many red flags from the start of the relationship and possibly should have not progressed it to the point of marriage so quickly. It does not matter what 'level' of 'momma's boy' he's at. You knew it getting in. All levels of it will be relatively the same.

One thing I wanted to always stress to my husband when he decided to move here was that I never wanted there to be a point and time that he would ever ever regret such a decision. It's one of those reasons why we waited for years to finalize our plan. Yes it is normal to miss your home country, family, and friends but at some point if you actively made the decision to make two of the biggest life changes (marry and move an ocean away) you have to both truly want it for the now and the long haul. And they have to understand at times it will be hard. If there is any sort of doubt it should not be done, because the person isn't ready. 26 is not a young chicken you know? He should have been fully capable in understanding. There are things that someone from the UK would generally not be aware of in the US -- things such as health insurance, taxes, etc that you mention are all stuff *we* need to be teaching them. It's things that are culturally US-specific. They'd never understand it without some help.

Men are generally somewhat messy (which I tend to find starts out as distracted forgetfulness as they look at you sheepishly and cannot work out how it quickly spiraled to that state), but that is not an excuse to coddle or let him dump everything everywhere and not take responsibility. Marriage is a partnership. What was the outcome of counseling? Did he agree to make any changes or did he find the whole thing a joke? Of course he would not want to be labeled as depressed, what British male would? It would be an admittance of failure, a stripping away of the facade of 'carrying on' and a type of cultural rigidity that does not allow for men to reveal such emotions of 'weakness'. You are a little older than him of course so it may be that you've always had very different interests. At the end of the day you need to decide what it is you want and if you can see a future life without him in it. If that means divorce or additional therapy before reaching that potential point I don't know. 

Edited by yuna628

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline
7 hours ago, Ray.Bonaquist said:

The kind of advice, validation, direction you need cannot be reasonably found on an internet message board where we only hear your side of the story.

Your kind of problem is what couples therapy is for and if that doesn’t work, the alternative is divorce.

Good luck.

Thank you, I'm not looking for validation, just advice from unbiased parties. And I urge you to think carefully before telling others advice and direction cannot be found online. Myself and many others have been in contact and a support system for each other during the visa process (years now) solely because of this *very* message board. Please don't discount what may be beneficial for others just because it may not be for yourself :)

Timeline

Thank you @yuna628I see truths in your response. I'm definitely experiencing hindsight is 20/20. It looks like we live in the same area. As you know DC is very competitive job wise and already a very transient location. It's been hard even for myself to make friends in my 10 years here. The therapy want a joke but I could tell he felt out of depth. He has said several times that he just gets on with stuff and that Americans complain too much. He's very much a "carry on" type. Thanks again for your response.

Thank you @TBoneTX for your insight. You don't know what you don't know until you know. Great way of putting it. He's already gotten his AOS so that's covered. Not being able to work is wholly unhelpful right now. 

@Duke & Marie Thank you as well. I realize now how very different friendship is in the UK compared to here. I noticed when I was there as well. Everyone seems standoffish but it's because their friends are usually from uni or work it seems. Without those it becomes harder for them to do on their own. Both you and @NikLR mentioned general statements of "men are messy" and I just don't like doing that. Adults, regardless of gender I hope have the desire and sense to keep their homes clean without needing to be chided like children. If I ask a partner to clean up I like to feel respected and heard. But I will try to look at it the sense of not stepping forward as much to see what he can handle. I'm a natural leader and run my own business so I'm used to being in charge and/or having an equally driven and reliable partner. Much thinking will be done. I appreciate and welcome all replies :)

Not all men are messy, in general throughout my relationships they tend to be messier.  My ex certainly wasnt but then when i put silverware in our sink he complained i was scratching the sink.  I was sweeping too hard(?). I didnt vacuum enough. So as our relationship spiraled downward with arguments he made his own lunches, i didnt do his laundry etc.  I just didnt care to take care of his wants, needs or desires.  And I left.  I grew up with a very controlling and emotionally abusive step-father.  While i learned chores, taking care of my things and responsibility, I also learned that berating someone because they do it different or slower isnt helpful to anyone.  (Im not saying you do this btw, there is a reason he was abusive and I dont assume you are!) I take that one step further even at work where I manage 18-30 year olds.  Im the boss that says thank you and well done.  And when I say something is bad they listen but I let them think of ways to improve so that they take ownership and responsibility for their own growth. I could give them my way but they are more likely to remember it when they think of it. 

So while my husband doesnt see the mess like I do or can happily live in the mess, having been in a controlling household growing up and in adulthood (do it my way etc) I wont be that person.  I'll just do it if I want it done or learn to ask. Sounds like you dont have an issue asking. I understand how frustrating it is when the same mess happens over and over and over.  I can remind him to do things that he said he would do and thats about as good as it gets. But also he can say no he doesnt want to do something.  I have to learn to accept that.  At least he's honest. It teaches me its also okay to say no, i don't want to do that for you and thats okay. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Get him a link to USCIS manual titled Now that you’re a US permanent resident LPR and have him actually read it. It details his rights and responsibilities and different how to things. Link below: 

https://www.uscis.gov/tools/settling-us

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline

From the outside looking in and on the basis of the information you have provided I would conclude that your husband is one lazy, juvenile little ####### and you should divorce him as soon as possible. I hope this helps.

Andrew Webb from England, marrying Michelle from Florida.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I’d say making a statement that all men are messy is inherently wrong. I am a neat freak this is how my mum and dad raised me. In fact  it drives me up the wall when things are not clean or out of place.

As for your husband I would put him on notice he needs to shape up or ship out. You did not sign up to be another mum but a wife. He needs to grow up and do his part in the marriage or time to divorce and move on.

ROC Timeline

Service Center: Vermont

90 Day Window Opened....08/08/17

I-751 Packet Sent..............08/14/17

NO1 Dated.........................

NO1 Received....................

Check Cashed....................

Biometrics Received..........

Biometrics Appointment.....

Approved...........................

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

I-130 NOA1: 22 Dec 2014
I-130 NOA2: 25 Jan 2015
NVC Received: 06 Feb 2015
Pay AOS Bill: 07 Mar 2015
Pay IV Bill : 20 Mar 2015
Send IV/AOS Package: 23 Mar 2015
Submit DS-261: 26 Mar 2015
Case Completed at NVC: 24 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Approved: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Received: 03 Oct 2015 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline
1 hour ago, Andrew@Michelle said:

From the outside looking in and on the basis of the information you have provided I would conclude that your husband is one lazy, juvenile little ####### and you should divorce him as soon as possible. I hope this helps.

Andrew Webb from England, marrying Michelle from Florida.

Wow, that’s a little bit too strong, Andrew from England:) Have you actually being in this young husband’s shoes? Did you see things from his perspective? 

International marriages are not for sissies, that’s for sure. Even when the same language is shared and two relatively close western cultures come together. 

Though I do not excuse his personal shortcomings, for some reason I feel sorrier for him, the new immigrant. At least OP didn’t have to change her life so drastically. If the tables were turned, how’d she feel? Moreover, she is a strong personality and comes along as a bossy, controlling, no-nonsense, label-everything woman. I may be wrong, it’s only my opinion but I see this marriage as a hasty mistake of two mismatch personalities and I don’t think it will survive  the problems...which are too deep. Again, I want to be mistaken. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.